Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2020 11:36:47 AM EDT
I want to put a scope on my AK74 to aid at shooting at distances of 200 yards and up.  Based on the ballistic trajectory charts I've seen, I will probably zero the scope for a 300-yard POI.

The scope need not necessarily be of any substantial power; I don't expect to need enough clarity for target ID at those distances.  

The mount type I would like is this:  except, ya know, not out of stock

Suggestions on any of the above?
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Hmmm, some type of LPVO seems to be what you are looking for.

I can only recommend the following as that is really all I have first hand experience with.

Steiner PX4, I have this mounted on sort of a multi-purpose AR and really like it.

Primary Arms Plx 1-8 with Griffin/mill reticle, this is on a 16" Aero M5 308 gun, sort of my version of a modern "battle rifle". Love it!

Vortex 1-10, this one is owned by a friend that I mounted it for him, it is awesome but expensive.

I realize all those options I mentioned are used on AR based guns, but the idea of using a LPVO on an AK74 is solid choice anyway.

The MI mount is a solid choice and so is the RS regulate mounts for AK siderail mounting.

In the end, picking out the right optic for you, is going to boil down to how much you want to spend and how much magnification you want.

Hell, one of the fixed power prism optics may work well for you as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:28:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmmm, some type of LPVO seems to be what you are looking for.

I can only recommend the following as that is really all I have first hand experience with.

Steiner PX4, I have this mounted on sort of a multi-purpose AR and really like it.

Primary Arms Plx 1-8 with Griffin/mill reticle, this is on a 16" Aero M5 308 gun, sort of my version of a modern "battle rifle". Love it!

Vortex 1-10, this one is owned by a friend that I mounted it for him, it is awesome but expensive.

I realize all those options I mentioned are used on AR based guns, but the idea of using a LPVO on an AK74 is solid choice anyway.

The MI mount is a solid choice and so is the RS regulate mounts for AK siderail mounting.

In the end, picking out the right optic for you, is going to boil down to how much you want to spend and how much magnification you want.

Hell, one of the fixed power prism optics may work well for you as well.
View Quote

Thanks for the ideas; I think I would be comfortable with an LPVO but I originally pictured some smaller in size.  

The RS regulate mounts look nice but they appear to block the view of the iron sights.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#3]
If you decide on using a LPVO mounted via a siderail mounting unit, be it MI or RS, you will lose iron sight use.  

I say the above because I did at one time tried using one of the PA 1-6 ACSS LPVO on one of my AK's with the RS mount. Maybe others have had different experiences, but it was a no-go for me. That particular AK uses a RS mount, but it now has an Aimpoint Pro on it.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 2:05:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Pk01vs with integral mount. The best Red dot for aks, made in belarus.
Link Posted: 11/14/2020 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pk01vs with integral mount. The best Red dot for aks, made in belarus.
View Quote

For $350 and up?  Yikes.  

I'd prefer a separate rail mount so that if I don't like using a scope, I can go to red dot...and vice-versa.
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top