BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/29/2020 10:03:41 PM EDT
So I’m looking at a 20” barrel from DS arms
I’d like 16.1 or honestly an SBR at like 14”

I’m exclusively familiar with gas ports on ARs. When shortening an RPD barrel, what else needs to happen to ensure functionality? What about adding a suppressor?
Link Posted: 6/29/2020 10:38:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I’m looking at a 20” barrel from DS arms
I’d like 16.1 or honestly an SBR at like 14”

I’m exclusively familiar with gas ports on ARs. When shortening an RPD barrel, what else needs to happen to ensure functionality? What about adding a suppressor?
View Quote

I've never seen one with a suppressor, so you might be the pioneer there.

Depending on the length you want, you will have to turn down the barrel to move the gas block. I read that somewhere that you can open the gas port if needed, but that was for a postie.

Gas block is adjustable so you have some wiggle room there. Piston will have to be shortened to fit.

It's not that hard to do it terms of weapons mods supposedly, but I have not done it myself so I can't confirm.

There should be a small gap between the end of the piston and the bottom of the gas block cylinder.

The gas port is standard size but located closer to chamber end. The gas regulator is in position #2.
Attachment Attached File

View Quote
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:52:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Depending on the length you want.. < >..Piston will have to be shortened to fit.

View Quote

How short are we talking before modifying the piston?
Could I go 16.1 and not need to play those games?

How short is the one you linked?
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 1:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
@chase45 - you did a build thread right? Got a link?
@10mm_
@kuraki

You guys know anything about going from a 20” barrel to something shorter? Even 16.1” is fine
What else do I have to worry about? Moving the Bipod?
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:06:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Depending on the length you want.. < >..Piston will have to be shortened to fit.

You only need to modify the piston if you're moving the gas block. I don't have my RPD on front of me so I can't measure where its placed normally.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:20:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
@chase45 - you did a build thread right? Got a link?
@10mm_
@kuraki

You guys know anything about going from a 20" barrel to something shorter? Even 16.1" is fine
What else do I have to worry about? Moving the Bipod?
View Quote
I can measure when I get home but off the top of my head you don't need to move the gas block or shorten the piston for 16". So moving the front sight base, bipod, muzzle threads.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I can measure when I get home but off the top of my head you don't need to move the gas block or shorten the piston for 16". So moving the front sight base, bipod, muzzle threads.
View Quote

Awesome, thanks!

Blasphemy to have no front sight and do an optic rail on the receiver?
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:36:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Awesome, thanks!

Blasphemy to have no front sight and do an optic rail on the receiver?
View Quote
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by an optic rail on the receiver.  You mean like an AK side rail?  That would be problematic for a couple reasons, most notably clearance for the top cover, plus dealing with however it's attached protruding into where the carrier travels.  I would imagine it's possible.

I just drilled and tapped my top cover and threw a C-More on it.  It's as accurate/repeatable as any Krinkov dust cover and doesn't drift around like my rear sight

It would look weird to me without a front sight base.  Moving that shouldn't really be a big challenge though to anyone with the knowledge and equipment to build one of these.
Link Posted: 6/30/2020 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, I'm not sure what you mean by an optic rail on the receiver.  You mean like an AK side rail?  That would be problematic for a couple reasons, most notably clearance for the top cover, plus dealing with however it's attached protruding into where the carrier travels.  I would imagine it's possible.

I just drilled and tapped my top cover and threw a C-More on it.  It's as accurate/repeatable as any Krinkov dust cover and doesn't drift around like my rear sight

It would look weird to me without a front sight base.  Moving that shouldn't really be a big challenge though to anyone with the knowledge and equipment to build one of these.
View Quote

Good stuff, thanks
Any pictures you have would be appreciated
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:08:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

So you’re saying the rest sight, on top of the dust cover, I easily comes off? I’m interested in a 1913 rail welded on the dust cover
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:44:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm sure now you can do 16" without moving the gas block.

FSB and bipod are 2.5"

Attachment Attached File

Gas block is 8" from muzzle.  21-5=16.  5+2.5=7.5 so less than 8"

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#11]
As for mounting an optic. This is a direct mount cmore just drilled and tapped 2 holes in the top cover ground the screws flat inside there's clearance between the cover and the feed actuator anyway. But you can see here a receiver mount on the left would be kind of a pita.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:26:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
As for mounting an optic. This is a direct mount cmore just drilled and tapped 2 holes in the top cover ground the screws flat inside there's clearance between the cover and the feed actuator anyway. But you can see here a receiver mount on the left would be kind of a pita.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125898/20200701_183510_jpg-1485555.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125898/20200701_183539_jpg-1485556.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/125898/20200701_183703_jpg-1485557.JPG
View Quote

Thanks!
Why not removing the rear sight entirely or buying a spare top cover to remove the rear sight and welding on a 1913 rail for an optic mount?
Or spot welding on an optic rail where you
Mounted the Cmore?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]
You could absolutely do that.  I just had a direct mount cmore laying around.

I wouldn't put it where the rear sight is as I think even a low mount will start getting rather chin weld height, but where my cmore is? No problem.
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 9:44:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You could absolutely do that.  I just had a direct mount cmore laying around.

I wouldn't put it where the rear sight is as I think even a low mount will start getting rather chin weld height, but where my cmore is? No problem.
View Quote

Do you think that spot where you’ve got the Cmore is more or less parallel to the bore? How much adjustment did you need on the sight?
Link Posted: 7/1/2020 10:05:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Do you think that spot where you've got the Cmore is more or less parallel to the bore? How much adjustment did you need on the sight?
View Quote
Left to right is up to whomever does the mounting. Mine is as parallel as the receiver is to the bore.

It must be relatively parallel in elevation as I didn't require much adjusting for a 100 yard zero.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 8:45:20 AM EDT
[#16]

16" barrel without moving gas block or shortening the piston. Bipod isn't mounted, as you will have to shorten the legs on it also, if you want it to close like factory. Thus, the SAW sack adapter. Shorten the bipod, wont sit with a drum in it like Kuraki's photo.

Edit- the front sight is sitting over the barrel threads, this was just a mock-up, so it needs to move rearward.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 9:47:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/259653/44326560_261642567869833_405038897458000-1504718.jpg

16" barrel without moving gas block or shortening the piston. Bipod isn't mounted, as you will have to shorten the legs on it also, if you want it to close like factory. Thus, the SAW sack adapter. Shorten the bipod, wont sit with a drum in it like Kuraki's photo.

Edit- the front sight is sitting over the barrel threads, this was just a mock-up, so it needs to move rearward.
View Quote

Damn that’s hot
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 10:03:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Damn that’s hot
View Quote

Will be if it ever gets finished and running.
Link Posted: 7/15/2020 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Will be if it ever gets finished and running.
View Quote

Psssh, irrelevant. We don’t actually shoot these things
Link Posted: 7/26/2020 12:48:22 PM EDT
[#20]
https://www.instagram.com/p/B1sP-8cgxNU/
14" pinned/welded to 16"
Link Posted: 8/12/2020 12:27:56 PM EDT
[#21]
The dsa carbines are pinned and welded at (I believe) 14.5"

I know it's under 16"

Latest versions have a FAL flash hider
Page AK-47 » RPK / RPD / PKM
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top