Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2020 10:48:46 PM EDT
Hi all,  I am going to cross post this but just trying to get an idea of reality.   I went to a local machine shop to get some AK work done and for shits and grins I brought my Valmet and original mag.   He thinks he could realistically produce good quality bolts and mags in his shop providing interest and my ability to move them as he is a pretty low key guy.    His work is well vouched for though on this forum.   Since the 3d printed mags seemed to have slowed this might be a realistic route.   If so I will loan a mag and a rifle to his shop to base it off of.    He does have a fairly well equipped shop and should be able to take a shot at it.

This would attempt to be a recreation to the level possible in his shop +/- a few new CNC purchases.  

I wanted to accurately judge what people would be willing to pay for mags and bolts or participate in trials so I can convince the man with the knowledge to take a leap.  

someone has to be able to do this and I am working on it.   Would look for any institutional knowledge from Tony/Tromix or anyone who has insight on if this is a fools errand.

Thanks!

Matt

Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:47:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I personally would not.  The Valmet series guns are collector items.  While everyone would like to have Valmet magazines aplenty, the reality is no one really is using the Valmet for anything other than collection purposes.  An after market mag like the LIQ mags of the 1980's will not enhance the collector value.

For the 5.56  Valmet rifles, the Galil magazines and some 5.56 pattern eastern European AK magazines can be modified to work without setting back the bullet and cost around 50-70 per mag with professional shop modification and re-finish.

308. Galil rifles are quite rare and I would be surprised if there was any market in the US for aftermarket magazine in the $200 price range.

Years ago, I looked into importing Valmet magazines from FIN.  The tooling has long ago been sold off or reused.  

I applaud your gumption and don't intend to be a Debbie downer, just stating my thoughts on the subject.

I would point out that a few years ago, someone on the boards made some printed magazines, I received one of the magazines and it lasted 11 or so rounds on my NFA M76 before the locking tab broke off and the feed lip cracked.  I do applaud that board members attempt as well.  Reliable magazines are not easily designed or made.

18Z50

Link Posted: 8/20/2020 12:04:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Fair enough, thought it might be a worthwhile enterprise but having doubts now.  Oh well, maybe we can play around with a few anyways.

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top