Posted: 3/6/2020 8:14:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/6/2020 8:49:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Awesome
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 12:06:22 AM EDT
[#3]
$14.99 daily deal and PSA sticker with each mag right?

If not still shutupandtakemymoney.gif
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 10:32:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: hapjack] [#4]
Build them right, no crap !

These will be greatly appreciated, please do all of the calibers, 7.62x39 545x39 and dont forget about 556, there are a lot of SLR106 out here.

FIME group watch out, PSA is in the game.
Link Posted: 3/7/2020 6:25:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Excellent! I like the “clone style” round logo. Thanks for your ever-increasing support for the AK market!
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:22:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Super excited to see this!  I’ve got some Circle 10 waffles from back in the day and wish I could add some more, but not at $50 each.  Can’t wait to try these out!

I assume when these come out you’ll be shipping one of these standard with your rifles instead of the Pmag?
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 1:35:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Please please PLEASE make them in bakelite and plum colors!!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Awesome. I love PSA. How hard is it to make mags with something like 34 rounds? I just wonder why it's alway's 30. I have 40's for my Maadi and 40's are all I get for my AR's. Which I would do belts for everything if I could.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 11:51:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Tagged for interest, those are beautiful.

Thank you, PSA
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 8:44:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Country of mfg?

922r question
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 11:26:09 PM EDT
[#11]
You can see in the photos that they say "MADE IN USA" at the top of each magazine, right below the receiver.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 1:54:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Dam you PSA! Now my stockpile of Circle 10 mags will lose value.

Please make one bakelite mags.
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
You can see in the photos that they say "MADE IN USA" at the top of each magazine, right below the receiver.
View Quote
DUH, banging head on wall now

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 12:02:35 AM EDT
[#14]
It has always annoyed me how murican made AK mags are either garbage or come up short to Bakelites or (10)s. From lack of at least a 30rd witness hole to steel lugs but no steel lips to ugly design that doesn't look right on AKs (yes Im talking about you Magpul, at least Tapco has their smoothside mags) And of course PROMAGs all polymer (10) wannabe garbage that causes FTFs and cracks easily. I always get my hopes up when I see a waffle pattern mag at a distance, then the employee brings them up close and I see they are the PROMAG knockoffs.

I am excited for PSA and for these new mags. I still prefer my legit (10)s when I run polymer AK mags but I've always wanted a US company to just copy the waffle mag and bakelite and sell it cheaper, they will make $. I know I want at least 10 of each of these new PSA offerings as long as they are made right. I know Toth Tool did it first but $25 a mag is still pricey IMO. If PSA makes these just as good or better than the Russian and Bulgarian originals, then I hope they'll start making Fakelites too.
Link Posted: 3/25/2020 9:50:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By vt357:
I’ve got some Circle 10 waffles from back in the day and wish I could add some more, but not at $50 each.
View Quote

Buygunstuff has Circle 10s for $38.22 right now, with $10 flat rate shipping per order. While that's still expensive, I feel like it brings the price more into the semi-reasonable range, considering that's only about $15 more than what M3 PMAGs and a lot of surplus steel mags (if you can find them) are going for these days.

Originally Posted By lt760831:
I know Toth Tool did it first but $25 a mag is still pricey IMO.
View Quote

When they first came out around 2015, I thought the Toth mags seemed really expensive, compared to surplus mags, which I think were still around $8-$10 back then. Now used surplus steel mags are in the $18-$25 range, when you can find them, and the Toth mags have gone up by a dollar to $25.99. It now seems like a much more reasonable price for what appears to be a high quality polymer mag, from my limited experience with them.

Having said all that above, if PSA can bring these to the market with a sale price of around $15, that will be a great deal for all of us. I'll have to see a few and wait for people who shoot a lot more than me (Rob Ski) to thoroughly test them to determine if they are "go to war" quality, but even if they end up being top quality range / training mags, that will help preserve the more limited, expensive mags like Circle 10s for "duty" / home defense use.

Minor note: it's interesting how PSA even replicated the small notches on either side of the front spine that the Circle 10 mags have, which I think it where the steel spine is anchored during the molding process. Toth mags don't have these notches, because they felt that their superior polymer made the front spine reinforcement unnecessary (which I don't see an issue with). I'm definitely looking forward to checking out these PSA mags.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 9:33:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Loving the (PSA) logo. Pretty amped to see a 545 offering.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I personally do not own a single non military contract mil-spec AK variant magazine. I applaud the effort for the consumer market, but personally would like to see an original design instead of a cloned copy. I hope these test out well and provide a solid US made option for everyone in the AK community.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 7:54:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Sand color would be great!  
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 6:34:26 PM EDT
[#19]
How are the mags progressing?
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 10:38:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By BoomBoom:
Dam you PSA! Now my stockpile of Circle 10 mags will lose value.

Please make one bakelite mags.
View Quote

Yes please on Bakelite!
Link Posted: 7/2/2020 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#21]
I seriously doubt anyone is ever going to make AG-4 "bakelite" mags again. That said, a relatively close facsimile composed of a slab-side polymer mag that was hydro dipped or something could certainly be done.
Link Posted: 7/30/2020 10:54:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Where are we at with these magazines? Any date of release?
Link Posted: 7/31/2020 5:36:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#23]
Originally Posted By neverenuffsig:
Where are we at with these magazines? Any date of release?
View Quote

<removed>bet you thought you were in GD, but you're not.

This is a Technical Forum. dryflash3
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:58:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Are we there yet?
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#25]
Any updates?
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 3:20:57 AM EDT
[#26]
They should make 74 mags too since they’re $50 now... I’m anxiously awaiting some combloc milspec 103 mags though!
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 12:50:45 AM EDT
[#27]
I hope they all work with PSA KS-47
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 7:57:26 PM EDT
[#28]
@PalmettoStateArmory

Any updates on these?
Link Posted: 10/5/2020 9:20:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/6/2020 1:06:44 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 7:29:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Hope to see these soon.  Don’t need a ton more but like the look for sure.
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 9:43:28 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/18/2020 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Our target price on these is $19.99.
View Quote

Has to be very good for polymer mags at this price.
Link Posted: 10/19/2020 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By HankC:

Has to be very good for polymer mags at this price.
View Quote

Being that they are steel reinforced, at $20 they just need to be better than AC Unity, the only steel reinforced polymer mags under $20.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:03:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By HWI:

Being that they are steel reinforced, at $20 they just need to be better than AC Unity, the only steel reinforced polymer mags under $20.
View Quote

First of all, I respect your opinion. You are a good person, who (like me) is looking forward to these new magazines. But your comment is inaccurate. There are several magazines under $20 in the US market with steel reinforcement. Zastava markets a military grade magazine with steel reinforcement in the spine, front, and rear lug. Tora Plastik markets a magazine with reinforcement in the rear lug. ISD Bulgaria markets a magazine with steel front and rear lug, and steel feedlips. All of these sell for under $20.

Link Posted: 10/20/2020 3:10:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By BlgSal:

First of all, I respect your opinion. You are a good person, who (like me) is looking forward to these new magazines. But your comment is inaccurate. There are several magazines under $20 in the US market with steel reinforcement. Zastava markets a military grade magazine with steel reinforcement in the spine, front, and rear lug. Tora Plastik markets a magazine with reinforcement in the rear lug. ISD Bulgaria markets a magazine with steel front and rear lug, and steel feedlips. All of these sell for under $20.

View Quote

I thought Tora Plastik makes the Zastava mags. And aren't the Zastava only steel rear lug, not feed lips or spine? I haven't seen the Zastava mags with steel front/rear lugs and spine (feed lips?).
I have heard mixed feedback on the commercial Bulgarian mags, but the only Bulgarian mags I have are Circle 10, so no first hand experience there.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 10:46:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlgSal] [#38]

I thought Tora Plastik makes the Zastava mags.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I thought Tora Plastik makes the Zastava mags.

They do not. The company claims they had a serbian military contract. These claims have not been verified.

And aren't the Zastava only steel rear lug, not feed lips or spine?

The units made by Zastava have rear and front lugs and a steel reinforced front spine. I verified this with a magnet.
Here is a picture of the Zastava magazine, the AC Unity magazine, and the Tora Magazine side by side that I took a few weeks ago.

The Zastava magazine is the best of the lot IMHO. PSA will be competing with these and the ISD Bulgarian unit (not pictured).
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 8:07:28 AM EDT
[#39]

They do not. The company claims they had a serbian military contract. These claims have not been verified.

The units made by Zastava have rear and front lugs and a steel reinforced front spine. I verified this with a magnet.
Here is a picture of the Zastava magazine, the AC Unity magazine, and the Tora Magazine side by side that I took a few weeks ago.
https://i.ibb.co/CJCV0vq/zastav.webp

The Zastava magazine is the best of the lot IMHO. PSA will be competing with these and the ISD Bulgarian unit (not pictured).
View Quote

Thanks for the info and imagery.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 8:17:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rzrsedge] [#40]
Cool,  nice to have more US made options. I love everything PSA has been doing with US made AK's, the DAGR, etc. I just wish they could get the stuff out faster so I could buy some!

Totally understand the limitations though!
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:46:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#41]

View Quote

All true, but one advantage the PSA mags will have is that they'll be 100% made in the USA. Some people buy American, and some people festidiously adhere to 922 regs, even though they may not have too. So it's not a pure apples to apples comparison in the minds of all consumers. Also, there are mil-issued all polymer mags these days, and it's not just because it's cheaper. Metal reinforcement was a "thing" originally because early plastics just weren't durable enough without them. Modern polymers have decided advantages over AG4 and whatever unholy mix of ABS or whatever "plum" mags are made from...so the metal bits are less important. Not irrelevant, thanks mostly to the design of AK mags, but certainly less critical than they were back in the days of less durable plastics.

Also ACU mags use stainless metal bits, which makes verifying the extent of the reinforcement challenging unless you're willing to destroy one. Who's done it?
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:31:22 PM EDT
[#42]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You are most welcome my friend!

Originally Posted By jekbrown:

All true, but one advantage the PSA mags will have is that they'll be 100% made in the USA. Some people buy American, and some people festidiously adhere to 922 regs, even though they may not have too. So it's not a pure apples to apples comparison in the minds of all consumers. Also, there are mil-issued all polymer mags these days, and it's not just because it's cheaper. Metal reinforcement was a "thing" originally because early plastics just weren't durable enough without them. Modern polymers have decided advantages over AG4 and whatever unholy mix of ABS or whatever "plum" mags are made from...so the metal bits are less important. Not irrelevant, thanks mostly to the design of AK mags, but certainly less critical than they were back in the days of less durable plastics.

Also ACU mags use stainless metal bits, which makes verifying the extent of the reinforcement challenging unless you're willing to destroy one. Who's done it?

I respect your opinion, but sadly, this is not the entirely the case. PSA's customer base is more concerned with price-point, less concerned with perceptions of quality, and even less concerned with following regulations like 922r (which applies to imported rifles and parts if I am not mistaken). Also, I am not sure American plastics technology removes the need for reinforcement. This is what Magpul, US-Palm/Century, and Tango Down/Xtech discovered as well.

I wish PSA well, and I was excited they brought a 5.45 rifles to the US Market. They are, however, entering a crowded field.

Link Posted: 10/21/2020 12:58:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:21:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
This is the best thread this forum has had in a long time. Lots of good info.

Well done everyone.
View Quote

Agreed. It is easy to post technical information here without the constant nonsense you see elsewhere. A large part of that is due to you dryflash.

One additional thing I'd like to add regarding the magazine: a lot of us were impressed with the new palm tree and two cannons logo on PSA's latest generation ak rifle trunnions. I hope that the final molding of their magazines use this logo instead of the circle (PSA) in the above pictures. It is more a comment on my personal preference however. Best of luck.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 1:23:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#45]
I respect your opinion, but sadly, this is not the entirely the case. PSA's customer base is more concerned with price-point, less concerned with perceptions of quality, and even less concerned with following regulations like 922r (which applies to imported rifles and parts if I am not mistaken). Also, I am not sure American plastics technology removes the need for reinforcement. This is what Magpul, US-Palm/Century, and Tango Down/Xtech discovered as well.

I wish PSA well, and I was excited they brought a 5.45 rifles to the US Market. They are, however, entering a crowded field.

View Quote

'Entirely' is the key I guess. I don't have any hard data on the PSA customer base as a whole, but we do know that it's large, so it's not outside the realm of possibility that some do make every effort to "buy American". Same thing with 922 parts. A majority probably do ignore the reg, but that doesn't explain all the US made AK parts sold in this country. There's a lot of companies out there making these parts, so someone is buying them and it's not just importers or manufacturers (who aren't shopping retail sites anyway).

Poly vs reinforced poly is certainly debatable and I don't see the value in weighing in on durability of either option myself, but we do know that poly only AK mags have passed various mil spec tests and been adopted as standard issue. Poland did it. Ukraine did it. I'm sure there's others. If given the option, I tend to use reinforced mags myself, but considering that the vast majority of mag usage in the US is range use, there's room for poly mags in range bags IMO. I have some, and they work. Imported sub-$20 mags like ACU etc. may be superior magazines, but there's no evidence to support that as of yet. Time will tell.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 2:41:55 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By jekbrown:
Imported sub-$20 mags like ACU etc. may be superior magazines, but there's no evidence to support that as of yet. Time will tell.
View Quote

I would strongly advise that you run the AC Unity magazine before claiming it can be run in any capacity. We have plenty of data that suggests it fails after being dropped. The Zastava magazine (by contrast) is military issue, and will be the unit to beat at this price-point IMHO.

In any case, I wish you the best of luck. You are a good person and deserve to be happy.  I am done with this thread for a while, and I apologize to the OP for derailing the conversation.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 3:02:38 PM EDT
[#47]
I make no quality / durability claims on any of these mags, that was my point. It's not appropriate to suggest that the PSA mags aren't up to snuff when we don't know that for sure. Could be the best mag ever, could be the worst, time will tell. I have seen ACU mags fail during drop tests. Also seen steel surp mags break with drop tests, even though internet group think suggests they are the best with respect to durability.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 10:35:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:44:51 PM EDT
[#49]
There are several magazines under $20 in the US market with steel reinforcement. Zastava markets a military grade magazine with steel reinforcement in the spine, front, and rear lug. Tora Plastik markets a magazine with reinforcement in the rear lug. ISD Bulgaria markets a magazine with steel front and rear lug, and steel feedlips. All of these sell for under $20.
View Quote

I thought Tora Plastik makes the Zastava mags. And aren't the Zastava only steel rear lug, not feed lips or spine? I haven't seen the Zastava mags with steel front/rear lugs and spine (feed lips?).
I have heard mixed feedback on the commercial Bulgarian mags, but the only Bulgarian mags I have are Circle 10, so no first hand experience there.
View Quote

I'm not familiar with the Zastava or AC Unity magazines, but I think it's useful to distinguish between the different types of steel reinforcements, since not all are created equal. I like the Bulgarian commercial magazines with the reinforced front and rear lugs, but the rear lug uses a thin steel overlay / wrap over a plastic lug, compared to the Magpul M3 and Circle 10 magazines that have a solid metal (steel?) rear lug. I think the steel wrap is an improvement over a plain plastic rear lug, in terms of strength and durability, but I'd prefer a solid metal lug for extra strength. I'm hoping that what we'll see on the PSA mags, which could, in my opinion, make them stand out among the other polymer mags under $20. Plus with PSA's fairly regular sales, the street price may be lower.
Link Posted: 10/21/2020 11:57:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jekbrown] [#50]
Second gen DDR bakelite mags had hollow front lugs, so there's some mil precedent for non-solid lugs. Of course, how the lug is made etc. is certainly different when you compare those types of DDR mag lugs with the modern commercial "steel clad' lugs. I'm not sure anyone has done destructive testing on either one to demonstrate which is superior, or if there's any practical difference in durability.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top