Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » PSA AK
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2023 10:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pcub]
I purchased a PSA 102 (pistol configuration) about a week  and a half ago from my LGS. Range day was the day after purchase and the first mag of PMC Bronze went flawlessly, immediately recognized this rifle was incredibly accurate at 100 yds. Second mag fired the first five rounds and then click light primer strikes numero uno. For the rest of the mag I would get 1 or 2 bangs in-between light primer strikes. I put the rifle away and headed home for the day.

Upon stripping the rifle I observed the firing pin getting hung up in the bolt as I shook it, punched the pin and found the firing pin to be covered in fine grit and debris, scrubbed the pin down and swabbed out the firing pin channel before reassembly. Next range day was yesterday 1/27. First mag through the rifle was Winchester m193, first 15 rounds no problems then got one LPS followed by 14 bangs. Next Mag was PMC Bronze again and had a repeat of 1 or 2 bangs per LPS. Packed up the rifle and disassembled at home to find a completely locked up firing pin.

Stripped the bolt and got the firing pin out, upon shining a light in the firing pin channel I found a piece of what I'm assuming to be primer brass in the channel. Fished it out and swabbed out the channel for good measure before reassembly. Headed back out to the range and ran another mag of M193 through the rifle with every other shot being a LPS. Now to clarify I am fully aware of several 102s and 74s having these issues and I intend on working with PSA to get this rifle running like a top, just wanted to document my experience for others and keep everyone updated on this unexpected journey.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:29:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pcub] [#2]
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:51:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#3]
First off, you should use some god damn spacing and/or indentation.

You’ll get a lot more people to read your post

Curious if it’s the firing pin channel is or of spec or something.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 10:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Original post was in paragraph form, not sure why it posted all jumbled. Very possible it could be out of spec, I also suspect OAL of the firing pin is probably on the short side just looking at the protrusion.

Link Posted: 1/28/2023 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pcub:
Original post was in paragraph form, not sure why it posted all jumbled. Very possible it could be out of spec, I also suspect OAL of the firing pin is probably on the short side just looking at the protrusion.

View Quote

I got curious and have been googling stuff. I’ve had my eye on a PSA 102.    Seems like you may be on track with the short firing pin.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:22:22 AM EDT
[#6]
My 105 experienced a similar failure, PSA fixed it  no problem.

I have a different diagnosis for you, not that it matters, PSA will sort it out. I would guess that your firing pin is out of spec, on the longer side, not shorter. It worked fine on the first mag , but was probably piercing primers, and that debris ends up in the firing pin channel, preventing the firing pin to travel forward,  causing your light primer strikes.

If you saved or looked at your brass from that first magazine and didn't see pierced primers then I would agree with your short firing pin hypothesis.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By AzAk108:
My 105 experienced a similar failure, PSA fixed it  no problem.

I have a different diagnosis for you, not that it matters, PSA will sort it out. I would guess that your firing pin is out of spec, on the longer side, not shorter. It worked fine on the first mag , but was probably piercing primers, and that debris ends up in the firing pin channel, preventing the firing pin to travel forward,  causing your light primer strikes.

If you saved or looked at your brass from that first magazine and didn't see pierced primers then I would agree with your short firing pin hypothesis.
View Quote

This was also my first thought when I discovered the big piece of debris, but after clearing it and attempting to run the rifle with the same result I'm not so sure.

I've researched similar issues others are having with these rifles and it seems I'm experiencing I weird mix of a few of them. Either way something is definitely out of spec.

I'm glad to hear PSA took care of you and I have no doubt they will sort it out. I'm ready to get this rifle out into the woods and work with it more!
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 3:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
PSA will get you squared away if you don't fix it yourself.
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 4:07:59 PM EDT
[#9]
When did purchasing a gun and taking it to the range without cleaning and inspecting it become a thing?
Link Posted: 1/29/2023 6:13:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pcub] [#10]
Originally Posted By RugRat:
When did purchasing a gun and taking it to the range without cleaning and inspecting it become a thing?
View Quote

Gun was stripped, scrubbed, and lightly lubed before first range day. So to answer your question, it should never become a thing. I however did not strip the bolt, to be completely honest I have never stripped a bolt before shooting any rifle.
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 10:55:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/30/2023 12:09:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By PalmettoStateArmory:

Apologies for the frustration. Please PM me your order number and I will get you taken care of.

Thanks,

Josiah
View Quote

Appreciate the good news, PM sent.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 5:53:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#13]
@Pcub

When it’s a weekly occurrence on every AK rifle forum where PSA is the topic of discussion, it shouldn’t be unexpected.

Scroll down a bit and read through a few of the threads.

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:59:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By French1966:
@Pcub

When it’s a weekly occurrence on every AK rifle forum where PSA is the topic of discussion, it shouldn’t be unexpected.

View Quote

I've read them all at this point, in my OP I also stated I was well aware of the issues. I'm very happy with PSA's communication and the way they have taken care of me thus far. Hopefully they will get some wrinkles ironed out, I'm rooting for our American AK manufacturers.
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 7:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: French1966] [#15]

I've read them all at this point, in my OP I also stated I was well aware of the issues. I'm very happy with PSA's communication and the way they have taken care of me thus far. Hopefully they will get some wrinkles ironed out, I'm rooting for our American AK manufacturers.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By French1966:
@Pcub

I also am rooting for an American manufacturer who can make reliable, in-spec AKs. But releasing a new product every couple of months without fixing the existing products which are failing isn’t a way to ensure longevity of a product line. It’s just going to piss off a bunch of people and give the company a bad name.

Successful companies have repeat customers. I can’t even recommend anymore PSA AKs, let alone buy another.
Page AK-47 » PSA AK
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top