BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/20/2021 1:38:14 AM EDT
Someone on Reddit mentioned that this US firm is releasing 104 pattern pistols.

Will this be a US made product I buy? If they come in priced right, the answer is surely: yes...

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ak-104.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:50:38 AM EDT
[#1]
The AK-105 is on its way too, I’d say I’m going to have a hard time not buying one, but they’ll be perpetually OOS so...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:04:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The AK-105 is on its way too, I’d say I’m going to have a hard time not buying one, but they’ll be perpetually OOS so...
View Quote

I'm a bit torn. Obviously their rifles have a lot of problems. There isn't a week that goes by where some new thread isn't put up describing some issue or another. But even with the occasional shitty rifle that rolls out the door, these people are delivering a lot of the products I've been wanting to see on the US market for a while now.
So, I'll buy one if they can keep the prices reasonable (under 1k), and put a TDI adapter on it and a SBA3 brace. Not a big fan of the goofy "triangle braces" though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:19:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Arsenal had a very short run - around 63 made - of the SAM-7 SFC, their take on the 104, which has a milled receive & a Galil style L side thumb selector.

I actually bought 2 of them, & plan to do a SBR conversion.

That collar in front of the gas block is a threaded adapter with spring loaded notch-interfacing detent for FH/brake/can mounting to prevent loosening. It's the quintessential simplified Ruskie take on QD adapters.

Arsenal needs to release an AK107. NEEDS to.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I actually bought 2 of them, & plan to do a SBR conversion.
View Quote

That, my good fellow, would be sick! Post pics when done.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:44:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I love these guys and what they are doing for the AK market. They are really trying to get good stuff out there

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:11:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I love these guys and what they are doing for the AK market. They are really trying to get good stuff out there

View Quote

Are they though? I'm not sure they're actually making any.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:18:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I notice it doesn't have the FN chrome lined barrel though... nitride?
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Oh, I like that 104 pistol. I can see that being a fun SBR project.

Hopefully this means 105 pistols some day. I would even stalk the website daily for one of those.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:37:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They seem to be have a significantly greater amount of lemons out there when compared with their Flroida based competitor. Still, they are undoubtedly quicker to market with form-factors that I've always wanted to see, so I am going to roll the dice.

Quoted:

Their products are not scarce.

Quoted:
I notice it doesn't have the FN chrome lined barrel though... nitride?

I'm not sure this decreases the desirability for me.

Quoted:
Oh, I like that 104 pistol. I can see that being a fun SBR project.

Hopefully this means 105 pistols some day. I would even stalk the website daily for one of those.

The pistol looks sick, agreed!
I, however, have a job and can't be on their website 24/7. I can just wait for the initial rush of rubes to be over though. I'm not worried about them running out of a product they can make more of...
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:08:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I need that.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 1:53:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Their AK's drop daily.

Sell out within minutes everytime.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:27:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Their AK's drop daily.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their AK's drop daily.

I got lucky one day and saw the GF5 MOEkov in stock browsing PSA's site. They're always sold out of everything, and I always get emails from them. I never saw anything from them in my inbox that any of their in-house product was in stock. Unless you request to be notified for a specific SKU, they probably don't advertise when they have them in stock because they probably don't produce very many at a time.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:27:10 PM EDT
[#14]
When I picked up my 103 I found them to restock rifles on or about 4pm EST most nights.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 5:52:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Their AK's drop daily.

View Quote

Recently they've been staying in stock longer.  I've been watching the site for these 104 to drop.  I have not see them in stock yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:27:20 PM EDT
[#16]
It says the barrels are nitrided, not sure why they didnt use fn barrels but realistically ill probably never shoot out a nitrided barrel especially with ammo prices being what they are.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I never saw anything from them in my inbox that any of their in-house product was in stock. Unless you request to be notified for a specific SKU, they probably don't advertise when they have them in stock because they probably don't produce very many at a time.
View Quote

They said over in their industry subforum that a product has to be in stock for about an hour to trigger the back in stock notification email. Otherwise, because of the delay in the system processing the emails, people would get notifications only to go to the website and find out the item was sold out (that happens to be with Arms Unlimited all the time). Because PSA's AKs (and other products) sell out so quickly, the email notifications never go out. As an example, I was watching the 74s on the website one afternoon and saw the plum and black classic folders appears in stock at 4:03 PM. By 4:08 PM, the plum folder was sold out. The black folders sold out around 4:15 PM, I think. I don't know how many they drop at a time, but I'm guessing it's somewhere from 25-50 of each model. They seem to release 2 or 3 models at a time - the 74 plum and black folders on one day, for instance, or all the triangle folders on a different day. They sell out almost instantly. Their AK FB page is kind of entertaining to watch as people report in what models are in stock and then vent their frustration when a model sells out while they were still trying to check out. It happens every weekday with some PSA AK model. I'm not sure I've ever seen anything like it with web sales.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:38:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It says the barrels are nitrided, not sure why they didnt use fn barrels but realistically ill probably never shoot out a nitrided barrel especially with ammo prices being what they are.
View Quote

Because FN doesnt make a 12.5" AK barrel?  :D  I would like to see them do the long barrel variant, looks like the SLR107-CR, with one of their FN barrels.
On the existing FN PSAK barrels, the barrel markings are out past the gas port.  When you chop the barrel off, you lose the FN logo, caliber marking, and twist rate marking.

And realistically, FN can't supply enough barrels for the number of AKs that PSA puts out.  If they have SKUs that require an FN barrel, and then for whatever reason, there are not enough FN barrels, then they can't make that SKU.  Its better when they use a PSA in-house CHF barrel, or a DC machine nitride barrel, because they have more control over those.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:22:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry guys, I would reply to each of you, but Im on the phone now. A quick thought regarding commercial barrels: FN doesn't have a long history of producing these, and as far as I am aware, does not provide them for military purposes. Their forged barrels carry no premium over any other commercial barrel maker in my opinion. So I am NOT going to denigrate this product because it is using a nitrited (presumably button rifled) barrel.

Again: this is a cool product, and deserves an open mind.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They seem to be have a significantly greater amount of lemons out there when compared with their Flroida based competitor. Still, they are undoubtedly quicker to market with form-factors that I've always wanted to see, so I am going to roll the dice.
View Quote

They produce a significantly greater amount of rifles than their Florida based competitor. Honestly the scale of production is so dissimilar that I am not even sure if they are competitors. I live in Florida and haven't even seen a KR-103 in person yet.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Once the gunpocalypse of 2020-? slows down and PSA has enough inventory to actually have sales again, I am in for a 104 pistol.  7.62x39 does really well out of a 12.5” barrel, and it’s still short enough to put a decent sized lightweight suppressor on it via the JMAC Omega thread adapter muzzle devices.  PSA’s nitrided barrels are pretty accurate by AK standards, so that would be a great truck gun.

Not in any hurry though.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 2:52:46 PM EDT
[#22]
FWIW I'm going to convert one of my PSA 103s to a 104, or maybe sell it and try my luck with their new 104

Odds are I'll convert mine. Those FN barrels are throwing down really good groups suppressed. My rifle in Rob Ski's video was doing 1.5 MOA and my other PSA 103 is right there with it, maybe a little tighter. Suppressed mind you, but that's all I shoot these days and the 104 would be suppressed too, probably with subsonics for fun
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:50:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
FWIW I'm going to convert one of my PSA 103s to a 104, or maybe sell it and try my luck with their new 104

Odds are I'll convert mine. Those FN barrels are throwing down really good groups suppressed. My rifle in Rob Ski's video was doing 1.5 MOA and my other PSA 103 is right there with it, maybe a little tighter. Suppressed mind you, but that's all I shoot these days and the 104 would be suppressed too, probably with subsonics for fun
View Quote

I friggin love FN barrels, all my AR's have them now, and my experiences as far as accuracy have been the same as yours.

One of these days i'm gonna pick up a barrel and build on a nice milled receiver.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:53:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They produce a significantly greater amount of rifles than their Florida based competitor. Honestly the scale of production is so dissimilar that I am not even sure if they are competitors. I live in Florida and haven't even seen a KR-103 in person yet.
View Quote

Fair point. I’ve only seen KR9’s in the wild, and they are dramatically cooler than the model in that segment put out by South Carolina. Haven’t seen a KR103 either.
For the rifles though, PSA is ahead due to the 104 and the likelihood of a krink pistol. And yeah, the scale is different, but the fact both companies instantly sell out of everything they make is telling. We are in a bit of a bubble, and I’ve been hoping things would slow down for a while now..

Who knows what the future will hold. Likely more goofy looking Polish guns and overpriced Serbian guns.... will the Americans be able to compete against those? Yes., I believe they can.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 9:01:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Who knows what the future will hold. Likely more goofy looking Polish guns and overpriced Serbian guns.... will the Americans be able to compete against those? Yes., I believe they can.
View Quote

With the possibility of tighter import restrictions in the future, we may not even have those.  So I'm really glad PSA is widening their stable.  Hopefully their 5.45 krinks come out soon.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:59:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

With the possibility of tighter import restrictions in the future, we may not even have those.  So I'm really glad PSA is widening their stable.  Hopefully their 5.45 krinks come out soon.
View Quote

It would be a real loss if we cant get Serbian guns in anymore. I had hoped that eventually Zastava would return to Century as their importer instead of the outfit that currently brings them in.

With regard to the US made Krink: I am excited at the prospects as well, though I have one built on a bulgarian kit, I want another one. More excpeted if they do a 105 pattern.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:07:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

It would be a real loss if we cant get Serbian guns in anymore. I had hoped that eventually Zastava would return to Century as their importer instead of the outfit that currently brings them in.
View Quote
What is wrong with Zastava USA?  Genuinely curious, as I have no experience dealing with them, but had the surface impression that them putting down roots in the states was a good thing.  They seem to be getting stuff into country quickly and in quantities that are a lot larger than other importers.  Are their sales reps a pain or something?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:21:19 AM EDT
[#28]
lol doesnt matter, might as well say they are selling full auto MP5 for $18. neither will actually exsist.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 6:55:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
What is wrong with Zastava USA?  Genuinely curious, as I have no experience dealing with them, but had the surface impression that them putting down roots in the states was a good thing.  They seem to be getting stuff into country quickly and in quantities that are a lot larger than other importers.  Are their sales reps a pain or something?
View Quote

Id like to know as well.  I spoke to someone at zastava usa last week and they were very helpful.   I mean i gyess if you want your magwell hollowed out by a monkey with sloppy finish then century is the way to go.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#30]
@PalmettoStateArmory

Is there any way the barrels could be threaded on the 16” versions? I realize that they have 24mm threaded FSBs, but it would be nice to have threads on the barrels also. Without barrel threads it will be impossible to mount a suppressor due to the added length in front of the FSB threads. It shouldn’t interfere with anything.

Here is an example of what I’m talking about.

@TX-Zen

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:30:58 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I had hoped that eventually Zastava would return to Century as their importer instead of the outfit that currently brings them in.
View Quote

My brain melted reading this. You would rather have Century bring in the rifle than the manufacturer of the rifle?
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:11:58 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:30:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Id like to know as well.  I spoke to someone at zastava usa last week and they were very helpful.   I mean i gyess if you want your magwell hollowed out by a monkey with sloppy finish then century is the way to go.
View Quote

Quoted:

My brain melted reading this. You would rather have Century bring in the rifle than the manufacturer of the rifle?
View Quote

Zastava USA a reseller for Zastava Serbia. Nothing more.  
Though it is the subject of another thread: yes, I much prefered Century as the importer for these guns. This is entirely due to markup. I'm sure the person that commented above spoke with a perfectly pleasant person on the phone. But that has nothing to do with anything. Since they became the exclusive importer, the price at which they sell the items they import has gone up significantly. This occurred even before the covid outbreak.

Though they haven't mastered building rifles, Century Arms is extremely good at moving large volumes of imported rifles at relatively low cost. So YES, I much prefer them. If you enjoy paying $1500 for a fucking m70 with a bunch of bolt on crap, then disregard my comment, and best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I understand what you are saying. I just sent the suggestion up the chain of command.

Thank you,

Josiah

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@PalmettoStateArmory

Is there any way the barrels could be threaded on the 16” versions? I realize that they have 24mm threaded FSBs, but it would be nice to have threads on the barrels also. Without barrel threads it will be impossible to mount a suppressor due to the added length in front of the FSB threads. It shouldn’t interfere with anything.

Here is an example of what I’m talking about.

@TX-Zen

https://zenphotos.net/ZenPhotos/File/Online/SVD/Tactical/AKSU_threading_Close02.JPG

I understand what you are saying. I just sent the suggestion up the chain of command.

Thank you,

Josiah

Thank you Josiah.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

Assuming these function..my only gripe is how they are naming their "klone" line.  This is definitely not an AK-104 clone.  If anything it's visually an Arsenal CR clone.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:00:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Without barrel threads it will be impossible to mount a suppressor due to the added length in front of the FSB threads. It shouldn't interfere with anything
View Quote
You can easily mount a suppressor using the 24x1.5 FSB, you just need a Griffin adapter. I do it on a bunch of my AKs including both of the PSA 103s that I have

The risk of non concentricity on the PSA seems to be very low, both of mine are GTG on the rod test, but I agree it can be more efficient to thread in front of the FSB on the exposed barrel. I did that with one AKSU and one AK105, though I have 3x as many that use the Griffin on the 24x1.5
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
You can easily mount a suppressor using the 24x1.5 FSB, you just need a Griffin adapter. I do it on a bunch of my AKs including both of the PSA 103s that I have

The risk of non concentricity on the PSA seems to be very low, both of mine are GTG on the rod test, but I agree it can be more efficient to thread in front of the FSB on the exposed barrel. I did that with one AKSU and one AK105, though I have 3x as many that use the Griffin on the 24x1.5
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Without barrel threads it will be impossible to mount a suppressor due to the added length in front of the FSB threads. It shouldn't interfere with anything

I’m referring to the rifles that have the barrel extending far beyond the FSB, the muzzle would be well inside the can even if it fit, which I don’t think it would.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:54:59 PM EDT
[#38]
Cameron at PSA has stated they will do an FN CHF version in the future, but they don't have a timeline. I'll be grabbing one of these.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Cameron at PSA has stated they will do an FN CHF version in the future, but they don't have a timeline. I'll be grabbing one of these.
View Quote
I think I'd prefer the FN barrel also. I'm also happy how they have made these so the SBR process is so much easier. A 104 style rifle has been on my radar before I even built my 105 clone. Someday, hopefully.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:59:20 AM EDT
[#40]
I want one, but I would want to SBR it.

I don't really want to deal with the stamp and ATF stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:49:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Assuming these function..my only gripe is how they are naming their "klone" line.  This is definitely not an AK-104 clone.  If anything it's visually an Arsenal CR clone.
View Quote
For sure, it's a Bulgarian early 80s pattern AK74 clone just like the Arsenal series is. I don't like the term Klone either but most people can't tell the difference between an AK103 and an AK74 pattern rifle anyway, so I guess it's a moot point. The purist side of me hates the term but the shooter side of me loves the PSA 103. They really did a good job overall even with manufacturing issues here and there

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:56:10 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Though it is the subject of another thread: yes, I much prefered Century as the importer for these guns. This is entirely due to markup. I'm sure the person that commented above spoke with a perfectly pleasant person on the phone. But that has nothing to do with anything. Since they became the exclusive importer, the price at which they sell the items they import has gone up significantly. This occurred even before the covid outbreak.

Though they haven't mastered building rifles, Century Arms is extremely good at moving large volumes of imported rifles at relatively low cost. So YES, I much prefer them. If you enjoy paying $1500 for a fucking m70 with a bunch of bolt on crap, then disregard my comment, and best of luck to you.
View Quote

For a while I wanted the MKE MP5 clone that was imported by Zenith. It was $1600-$1700. So I saved up the $, & just found out that Century is now importing the exact same gun from MKE. But it now goes for $3K. Thanks Century. GARY
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

For a while I wanted the MKE MP5 clone that was imported by Zenith. It was $1600-$1700. So I saved up the $, & just found out that Century is now importing the exact same gun from MKE. But it now goes for $3K. Thanks Century. GARY
View Quote

To be fair I dont think that proce has anything to do with century.  Its been a while since mke hasnhad guns come in.  The proce on mp5s is really high now.  I dont know what the msrp is but i can guarantee you its not $3000.  Hell the real hk sp5 has a msrp below that.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:44:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

To be fair I dont think that proce has anything to do with century.  Its been a while since mke hasnhad guns come in.  The proce on mp5s is really high now.  I dont know what the msrp is but i can guarantee you its not $3000.  Hell the real hk sp5 has a msrp below that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the MSRP on the AP-5 really is $2999. Street prices are obviously jacked up right now, but Century has priced the MKE above what HK would sell the SP-5 in normal circumstances.

Century can be good importing stuff, but as of late they’ve been tone-deaf with what the market wants and pricing. Zastava doing their own thing is likely a better choice for them.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:52:28 AM EDT
[#45]
If you fellas want, I’ll start another thread dealing exclusively with Zastava USA.
I wanted this thread to focus on PSA’s 104 pattern rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:08:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
If you fellas want, I’ll start another thread dealing exclusively with Zastava USA.
I wanted this thread to focus on PSA’s 104 pattern rifle.
View Quote
I would appreciate that for sure.  Thank you for being willing to do so.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:54:59 AM EDT
[#47]
WOW those look amazing!
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 11:10:17 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Will do brother.

Quoted:
WOW those look amazing!

This was my thought as well. Yes: they are not clones of the 100 series, but they do have a real aesthetically pleasing form factor. I will probably buy one immediately. I just hope I don’t get a lemon.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:39:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:49:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Century imported WASRs are going for $1200 new right now and the last batch of M70s with polymer furniture were going for $1300. I would absolutely pay $100 more for a Zastava.
I don't own a Century or Zastava USA imported rifle, but would much rather be supporting Zastava USA, they listen to consumer feedback and implement new models and features based on that feedback.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top