Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/26/2021 8:44:54 PM EDT
I received a few of these PSA waffle magazines and have a few items to report.

The good:

The construction feels good and durable and they lock up tight in the magwell of my PSA AK-103. They also look cool so there is that.

Now the bad:

The follower dimensions are off, first the protrusion on top the the follower is only half the length that is should be, it only goes a little more than half of the length that the  follower. This portion of the follower is important because it keeps the last round pinned against the feed lips. I also believe that the protrusion on the follower it is too narrow. Both of which cause the first round you load or the last round in the magazine to wobble around front to back in the magazine. I don't know if this will cause malfunctions on the last round, but it is not held securely. I believe the follower dimensions on this magazine is not correct. There is not enough engagement on the last round with the feed lips on the waffle magazine. These followers need to be redesigned, specifically the protrusion on top of the follower to go the entire length of the follower. Secondly the width of that protrusion needs to be increased and/or the angle needs to be increased which the side of the follower contacts the round.

There is enough play that shaking the PSA waffle magazine with a single round inserted, the round will pop out. I cannot get the comblock magazine to do the same thing.

Magpul AK magazines have the half protrusion on the follower but have a more angular transition to the top base of the follower.

This is not a super scientific test, but it proves that the follower engagement on the first or final round's side of the cartridge or the internal surface of the feed lips is not what it should be.

PSA waffle magazine follower length.

Comblock flatback magazine follower length.

Comblock single round magazine with positive engagement, just using gravity here.

The PSA waffle magazine single round engagement with just using gravity again, as you can see not enough positive engagement with the inner surface of feed lips.

Here is a different "new" PSA waffle magazine with even less engagement with the inner surface of the feed lips. Only using gravity here too.

I plan of zeroing with these mags and will report back if any issues arise.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Well I just ordered some of these mags also, not exactly what I wanted to hear at 25 each. Interested to hear the range report.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 12:04:05 AM EDT
[#2]
FWIW, these are the only mags that won’t fit in my Sam7. The 2 I received need some good amount of adjustment (Magpul, US Palm, circle 10, Bulgarian steel, Bulgarian polymer, Croatian steel, etc. all fit flawlessly).

Just an observation (I know it’s
normal for some ak mags to need minor adjustment).
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 5:49:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe a worthwhile mag to perform a 20 round conversion on.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:49:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Ok so I took one out to zero with, and it preformed flawlessly. I loaded just 3 rounds in each time to test it and obtain a group while zeroing. I ran about 6 iterations with the mag containing 3 rounds each time and I did not have a problem. This is by no means extensive or exhaustive testing, but just what I have to report. It still does bother me to have the last round so loose. For now it appeared to cause no problems or malfunctions.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
These followers need to be redesigned, specifically the protrusion on top of the follower to go the entire length of the follower.
View Quote

I'm not sure why you think this is necessary. No other current AK magazine with a polymer follower has a full length bump like you describe, that I know of. Circle 10, Toth Tool, Magpul, Xtech, Bulgarian commercial steel, and Bulgarian reinforced polymer all have a bump on the plastic follower that extends just over halfway (maybe 2/3) from the rear of the follower. Steel military surplus magazine followers are similar. Toth Tool did lengthen the bump on theirs a little when they released their latest batch of magazines last years, but it still doesn't reach the front of the follower. I posted photos of the two versions here. The bump may actually stop short of the front of the follower so that the last round can start canting inward as it feeds into the chamber.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:38:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not sure why you think this is necessary. No other current AK magazine with a polymer follower has a full length bump like you describe, that I know of. Circle 10, Toth Tool, Magpul, Xtech, Bulgarian commercial steel, and Bulgarian reinforced polymer all have a bump on the plastic follower that extends just over halfway (maybe 2/3) from the rear of the follower. Steel military surplus magazine followers are similar. Toth Tool did lengthen the bump on theirs a little when they released their latest batch of magazines last years, but it still doesn't reach the front of the follower. I posted photos of the two versions here. The bump may actually stop short of the front of the follower so that the last round can start canting inward as it feeds into the chamber.
View Quote

Thanks for the input, there is a problem with the follower. It does not push against the round enough. This is one solution, maybe not the best but it does need to be wider by a few mm. It just doesn't make enough contact with the final round in the magazine.
One of the pictures I showed has a follower length in question. While no other polymer follower has a full length "bump", no other polymer follower barely contacts the round so that it is just wobbling around when inserted.
Link Posted: 3/30/2021 11:21:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I've experienced this with com-bloc steel mags a few times. While I agree that it is a bit unsettling,  it does not seem cause any actual problems. I would not go so far as to say that there is actually anything wrong with the PSA mags.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 7:00:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FWIW, these are the only mags that won’t fit in my Sam7. The 2 I received need some good amount of adjustment (Magpul, US Palm, circle 10, Bulgarian steel, Bulgarian polymer, Croatian steel, etc. all fit flawlessly).

Just an observation (I know it’s
normal for some ak mags to need minor adjustment).
View Quote

When I ordered by Sam7, I ordered a couple of the Bulgy Circle 10 mags for $50 each and 1:2 did not fit. You'd thing a Bulgy mag would fit a Bulgy gun...but when you make so many mags, sometimes that stacking tolerances catch up.

I wonder how these PSA mags compare to the Bulgarian Steel Reinforced plastic mags that are NOT the super Circle 10? Seems like they are a better comparison. BTW they fit my SAM7 perfectly.
Link Posted: 4/3/2021 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I've experienced this with com-bloc steel mags a few times. While I agree that it is a bit unsettling,  it does not seem cause any actual problems. I would not go so far as to say that there is actually anything wrong with the PSA mags.
View Quote

For now it does not seem to cause any problems, maybe it will and maybe it will not. It could use some improvement is what I am trying to convey here. As a customer you are purchasing a product and expect to get what you are told the product will be. If it was mentioned anywhere that the first/last round was loose in the magazine, some people would spend their money elsewhere. PSA is not making these out of the kindness of their hearts, they are after a profit. The loose round is my only gripe about these, as customers we have a right to voice displeasure in purchased items, and let other potential customers know what we discover. Is it a terrible magazine, no, could it use some improvement, yes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2021 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Made it out to the range and fired about 60 rounds in the PSA waffle mag with no issues thus far. Rifle was a Yugo M70 I had to sand the magazines to fit, but that doesn't bother me. So far so good, it will be interesting to see how these hold up.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top