Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/21/2021 9:40:26 AM EDT
Good Morning all,

So finally got into the AK scene after years of AR builds. My 1st is the GF3. Naturally when I ordered it, I saw the daily deal for these mags and bought a handful. Well...they don't work. Or rather, they don't lock in. The PMAG that came with the rifle is fine. These just don't seem compatible. Am I doing something wrong or should I just return them and get more pmags? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Luis
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:13:46 AM EDT
[#1]
The new made Croatian mags have a history of not fitting certain AK's.  You have to custom fit them by filing the locking tab on the magazine.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:35:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The new made Croatian mags have a history of not fitting certain AK's.  You have to custom fit them by filing the locking tab on the magazine.
View Quote

This. The problem is not your rifle, it’s that Croatian mags require a modest amount of “fitting”
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 3:47:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, they require fitting.  I've had best luck with Bulgarian and Xtech mags in my Gf3.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Same, I bought a half dozen and half fit in my WASR-10, the other half needed filing to fit.
I think the ones needing filing could be forced in my AK63DS but they didn’t come out without a fight.
Otherwise, no complaints on the Croats, although the steel Bulgarians get better reviews.
I will say that although the KCI mags are thin steel, they seem to fit everything without filing.

Wasn’t PSA supposed to be rolling out their own steel AK mag?

FWIW I’ve had no problems with my PMAGs, everyone loves a good surplus steel mag but for an all poly mag, the PMAG has good feed geometry and fits everything without filing.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:34:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info guys. So before I go through the hassle of possibly sending these back, can any of you post a pic of where and what to file down for an AK noob like me?

I wouldn't mind tinkering them to work and keeping them if its a simple shave. Much appreciated gang. Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 8:53:02 PM EDT
[#6]
same issue i had with my psa gf3 with some mags. i think the opening is a tad small on the ak and if you wan you can open it on the gun or tailor the mags to fit. i took mine and kinda jammed them a few times to mark the mags where to file and mostly its the back lug that needs a little taken off. go slowly and consistently check but all mine now fit and have no wobble in the gun.

mine are all just above the tang needed a little shaved down to allow it to swing into latch. this one i also had to bevel the top edge to not hit into a pin.

Link Posted: 2/21/2021 11:13:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Good to go in mine. Just get a decent metal file and shave the c-hair where you need too. Enjoy the rifle!
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 7:14:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys! Illl give one a try and see. If not, maybe Ill hold on to them for my next ak !
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Filing the mag is a standard AK fitting thing.
Better to be able to adjust for the proper fit than have them come too loose and not be able to add material.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 1:48:56 AM EDT
[#10]
"customization" of your mags
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 5:02:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
same issue i had with my psa gf3 with some mags. i think the opening is a tad small on the ak and if you wan you can open it on the gun or tailor the mags to fit. i took mine and kinda jammed them a few times to mark the mags where to file and mostly its the back lug that needs a little taken off. go slowly and consistently check but all mine now fit and have no wobble in the gun.

mine are all just above the tang needed a little shaved down to allow it to swing into latch. this one i also had to bevel the top edge to not hit into a pin.

https://i.imgur.com/UZoEEsw.jpg
View Quote

Is that what the new Croatians look like? Mine were blued.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 6:25:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Is that what the new Croatians look like? Mine were blued.
View Quote

that is a Korean 20 rounder in that pic. after fitting i did color the area it with a sharpie.

the 2 Croatian 30 rounders i have actually fit fine in my psa ak47
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 7:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
What are you guys using to remove material?

What is the best tool for that job?
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 8:20:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

a bastard file is what i used.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Nicholson-12-in-Bastard-Cut-Mill-File-21842N/203140641

Link Posted: 2/27/2021 2:05:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Dremel.  Took about 2 minutes to sand and test fit.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 12:06:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Every Ak I have had, there was always a magazine or two that needed fitting or filing. Nature of the beast.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top