Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/14/2020 4:28:53 PM EDT
Lately, I've been itching to get one of the PSA AK-P pistols with the side folding triangle brace.  The only AK i've had much experience with is a rear converted 16" Saiga and I'm curious how the PSA offering stacks up quality-wise.

Link Posted: 8/15/2020 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve had good luck with mine. Only have a few rounds fired but it’s been 100% reliable. Can’t comment on the PSA triangle brace. I went with the SBA3 model and swapped to a CNC Warrior folding brace. Overall it’s a slick setup.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 3:48:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve had good luck with mine. Only have a few hundred rounds fired but it’s been 100% reliable. Can’t comment on the PSA triangle brace. I went with the SBA3 model and swapped to a CNC Warrior folding brace. Overall it’s a slick setup.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43181/B3A3F1BA-580B-444A-8F97-4A948C582864_jpe-1547427.JPG
View Quote

Other than its mechanism and basic construction, I'm a noob when it comes to the stock adaptors and furniture for the AK platform.  Could you describe what was involved with swapping the AR stock adaptor on you AK-P to the CNC Warrior brace?
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 4:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
The CNC warrior brace that I have used the standard rear trunnion. Installation is the same as swapping out a factory stock. That is the reason I went with the Sba3 equipped model. The triangle folder models use a picatinny rear trunnion and limits choices later. I haven’t tried the PSA brace it may be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 6:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've had good luck with mine. Only have a few hundred rounds fired but it's been 100% reliable. Can't comment on the PSA triangle brace. I went with the SBA3 model and swapped to a CNC Warrior folding brace. Overall it's a slick setup.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/43181/B3A3F1BA-580B-444A-8F97-4A948C582864_jpe-1547427.JPG
View Quote
@TripleJ
What kind of 50 yard accuracy are you getting out of yours?
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 6:35:55 PM EDT
[#5]
I haven’t done any real accuracy testing but I’d say it’s easily capable of 2” groups at 50 yards
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 7:42:46 PM EDT
[#6]
If you get around to it I'd be interested to hear the results. Sounds promising
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 9:25:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The CNC warrior brace that I have used the standard rear trunnion. Installation is the same as swapping out a factory stock. That is the reason I went with the Sba3 equipped model. The triangle folder models use a picatinny rear trunnion and limits choices later. I haven’t tried the PSA brace it may be awesome.
View Quote

Interesting.  Did some looking at their site, more straight forward than I'd expected.  Seems like a good option.
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 9:50:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Hi. I got my PSA AK-P around the middle of the month so I haven't had it very long, but I have had it to the range already where I shot a couple of hundred rounds through it. So far, I'm very happy with it and don't anticipate seeing any problems. It's been 100% and it's respectably accurate, in my view. At 50 yards, it will shoot groups with all rounds touching (if I do my part) and ~3" groups at 100 yards. These groups were shot from the bench using Golden Tiger 124gr HPBT ammo which, btw, isn't known for being particularly accurate. See pics below.

25 yard sight-in of Primary Arms 1x Cyclops prism scope

50 yard sight-in

100 yard zero check with 4-shot group. This group measured a hair under 3" when discounting the flyer at the 12 o'clock position

Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:03:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I really wish they didn't do the railed top cover.  Just doesn't do it for me.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2020 8:14:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I really wish they didn't do the railed top cover.  Just doesn't do it for me.  
View Quote

It certainly makes life easier and offers more options when it comes time to mount an optic on it. Also, the railed dust cover is not unprecedented; the Vityaz-SN is like this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 11:29:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I was curious about the rear trunnion and how much one would be giving up with the PSA triangle folder vs a more traditional rear end.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:32:17 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I was curious about the rear trunnion and how much one would be giving up with the PSA triangle folder vs a more traditional rear end.
View Quote

Hello. I'm not sure what you mean by "traditional rear end," but if I wanted to add a triangle stock in place of the brace to give it a more traditional look (making it an SBR), it can easily be done by using a Stormwerkz PSA AK-47 Stock/Brace Adapter Type 1 and a triangle stock from one of several sources including Manticore and Circle 10. If I wanted it to be a folder, the addition of the Stormwerkz stock folding mechanism would accomplish that.
I'm not sure of the process, but I believe the AK-P can be modified to accept any of the PSA fixed stocks, as well. If someone knows what you need to do that, I'd be interested in knowing how myself. Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Hello. I'm not sure what you mean by "traditional rear end," but if I wanted to add a triangle stock in place of the brace to give it a more traditional look (making it an SBR), it can easily be done by using a Stormwerkz PSA AK-47 Stock/Brace Adapter Type 1 and a triangle stock from one of several sources including Manticore and Circle 10. If I wanted it to be a folder, the addition of the Stormwerkz stock folding mechanism would accomplish that.
I'm not sure of the process, but I believe the AK-P can be modified to accept any of the PSA fixed stocks, as well. If someone knows what you need to do that, I'd be interested in knowing how myself. Thanks!
View Quote

I was inquiring more in regards to options later should I decide to swap the folding brace to a stock (w/tax to get an official SBR).  I'm not entirely clear how the Picatinny Stock/Brace Adapter is mated to the pistol and how easily it can be changed, but I'll find out soon enough as I caught them in stock and was able to snag one today before they were all gone.  
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 4:29:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I was inquiring more in regards to options later should I decide to swap the folding brace to a stock (w/tax to get an official SBR).  I'm not entirely clear how the Picatinny Stock/Brace Adapter is mated to the rifle and how easily it can be changed, but I'll find out soon enough as I caught them in stock and was able to snag one today before they were all gone.  
View Quote

Congratulations! This is the adapter that your pistol with the brace will come with: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-picatinny-stock-adapter-assembly.html
It is mounted to the receiver with two screws so it is easy to remove.
Removing it and replacing it with the Stormwerkz adapter will allow you to add a triangle stock. To switch to a PSA fixed or other type fixed stock, I believe would require you to have a different rear trunnion installed that includes a stock tang. There may also be fixed stocks available that will mount directly to the Picatinny rail though this isn't something I've personally researched. The easiest solution to switching to a fixed stock is as I described in my previous post using a metal triangle stock (without a folding mechanism if you want it to be fixed).
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:56:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Congratulations! This is the adapter that your pistol with the brace will come with: https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-picatinny-stock-adapter-assembly.html
It is mounted to the receiver with two screws so it is easy to remove.
Removing it and replacing it with the Stormwerkz adapter will allow you to add a triangle stock. To switch to a PSA fixed or other type fixed stock, I believe would require you to have a different rear trunnion installed that includes a stock tang. There may also be fixed stocks available that will mount directly to the Picatinny rail though this isn't something I've personally researched. The easiest solution to switching to a fixed stock is as I described in my previous post using a metal triangle stock (without a folding mechanism if you want it to be fixed).
View Quote

Perfect! That’s very helpful in clearing up what to expect.  Thanks
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:54:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Perfect! That’s very helpful in clearing up what to expect.  Thanks
View Quote

You're very welcome!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top