Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2022 9:54:34 AM EDT
I recently bought my first AK.  I got the PSA GF5 based on reviews, and so far, I like it.  I know that it's not going to be winning any benchrest competitions, but my eyes have gotten so bad, I can't see the front sight without my readers.  I'd like to add a red dot but I'm not finding much that works.

I've tried a crappy NcStar railed dust cover, but that took filing more than 1/4" of material to get it to fit......then I had to weld up the bottom to get it to lock in, and I didn't like the way it turned out.  Then I tried a p-rail rear sight.  I really like how solid it fits, but now my RDS is 1/2" too high.  I can build up the stock with a cheek piece, but I'm wondering if there's other options....maybe a railed dust cover that fits better?

What do you all think?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Dust Cover:
TWS Dogleg ($$)
Zenitco ($$$$$)
Sureshot Chassis ($$$)

Gas Tube Rails/Rear Sight Replacement
Ultimak ($)
Attero/TWS Mount ($)
SLR Handguard/Top Rail ($$$)

Side Mount:
RS Regulate ($$)
AK Master Mount ($)

For bad eyes/irons try a GG&G peep sight
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!  

Question--the TWS railed dust cover, does that fit the PSA GF5?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the info!  

Question--the TWS railed dust cover, does that fit the PSA GF5?
View Quote
This is the brand that PSA is using on theirs.  I think someone said PSA has them on their site too.

https://jlbillet.com/jl-billet-ak-dust-cover/
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:27:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This is the brand that PSA is using on theirs.  I think someone said PSA has them on their site too.

View Quote

Perfect!  OOS, but that's exactly what I was looking for.  Thank you!
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 10:39:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly the TWS is great, also has a cut out that acts as an adjustable tension spring. No experience with the PSA/JL Billet.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Honestly the TWS is great, also has a cut out that acts as an adjustable tension spring. No experience with the PSA/JL Billet.
View Quote

The TWS is the one I was originally looking at, but I don't know anything about AKs.  I got burned on the cheap NcStar that wouldn't fit without major surgery....but I can deal with losing $49 and chalking it up to a learning experience.

The $$$ for the TWS would be a much harder pill to swallow if it doesn't fit the GF5, but if it does, I've found them in stock at a few places. The JL is OOS everywhere.
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:45:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve ran an Attero mount with a T1 pretty hard on a psak. No complaints so far and it cowitnesses beautifully
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:59:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The TWS is the one I was originally looking at, but I don't know anything about AKs.  I got burned on the cheap NcStar that wouldn't fit without major surgery....but I can deal with losing $49 and chalking it up to a learning experience.

The $$$ for the TWS would be a much harder pill to swallow if it doesn't fit the GF5, but if it does, I've found them in stock at a few places. The JL is OOS everywhere.
View Quote
The TWS will fit, you remove the rear iron sight and leaf spring to install it.  Follow the included directions and make sure it has good tension against the receiver in the rear, and you also might need to spread the the pin holes on the front where the pivot pin goes, just make sure it's good and tight everywhere.  Mine has held zero well with a red dot, even with opening or taking off the cover for cleaning.

This is on my PSA 104:

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 2:05:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks to everyone!  TWS, part number 33310 is on the way.  (I finally found their compatibility chart so I'm confident that I ordered the right one)

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks to everyone!  TWS, part number 33310 is on the way.  (I finally found their compatibility chart so I'm confident that I ordered the right one)

View Quote

Its pretty nice. The actual length of the dust cover is adjustable. So no fitting needed imo
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Good luck OP.

Let us know how installation goes.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 9:34:35 AM EDT
[#12]
TWS railedl top cover or the Attero rear sight mount. I put the Attero mount on my Draco C SBR and it's rock solid.

Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]
I would look into the Attero arms mount. Seems like the best option if you want to mount an optic and not have to mess with it after that while still being able to fold the stock. The top cover systems have a lot of flex and points of contact and you have to manipulate them anytime you disassemble the rifle.

The Attero has a custom nut that locks the mount down pretty solidly and there's no reason to mess with it once it's mounted because you'll be able to take the rifle apart without removing it.

I plan to use an Attero mount with a Holosun 509T on my next AK project, should be a pretty slick setup.

With AKs it always seems like simple solutions tend to work the best. YMMV
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would look into the Attero arms mount. Seems like the best option if you want to mount an optic and not have to mess with it after that while still being able to fold the stock. The top cover systems have a lot of flex and points of contact and you have to manipulate them anytime you disassemble the rifle.

The Attero has a custom nut that locks the mount down pretty solidly and there's no reason to mess with it once it's mounted because you'll be able to take the rifle apart without removing it.

I plan to use an Attero mount with a Holosun 509T on my next AK project, should be a pretty slick setup.

With AKs it always seems like simple solutions tend to work the best. YMMV
View Quote

Attero is great, but you need to shim it for it to be 100% viable due to rear sight block tolerances imo.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 12:55:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds irrelevant to OP at this point, but for heavier optics like LPVOs, the Sabrewerks KOP system is by far the best option I’m aware of.  The one on my Draco build has been phenomenal.  I’ll add it to any “serious use” AK I build from here on out.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Attero is great, but you need to shim it for it to be 100% viable due to rear sight block tolerances imo.
View Quote

Good point, but in fact the mount system is extremely robust, haven't had one lose zero yet over tolerance.

TWS Bitty mount might be a hair better than Attero, offers some addtional features.

If Attero bugs ya though I understand, last rifle I did the rear sight channel was quite wide, but what I did instead of shims was braze some aluminum onto the sides of the mount at the front and rear, filled the rest with JB weld, sanded it all back down smooth and with an ultra-perfect custom fit. MAP gas and aluminum brazing rods, can get both at Home Depot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:12:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Good point, but in fact the mount system is extremely robust, haven't had one lose zero yet over tolerance.

TWS Bitty mount might be a hair better than Attero, offers some addtional features.

If Attero bugs ya though I understand, last rifle I did the rear sight channel was quite wide, but what I did instead of shims was braze some aluminum onto the sides of the mount at the front and rear, filled the rest with JB weld, sanded it all back down smooth and with an ultra-perfect custom fit. MAP gas and aluminum brazing rods, can get both at Home Depot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did not care for the TWS Bitty Mount. TBH the way the T1 mounted into it did not inspire confidence. Basically the optic only made contact with my mount through the recoil lug and set screws. It didn't even touch the bottom of the optic cut and there was a gap on the sides of it. The Attero is a much better fit imo. I only like that the TWS uses a pin/c clip instead of a roll pin. However I found out the TWS pin does work on the attero, and tws even sells that hardware separate lmao.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2022 6:28:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I did not care for the TWS Bitty Mount. TBH the way the T1 mounted into it did not inspire confidence. Basically the optic only made contact with my mount through the recoil lug and set screws. It didn't even touch the bottom of the optic cut and there was a gap on the sides of it. The Attero is a much better fit imo. I only like that the TWS uses a pin/c clip instead of a roll pin. However I found out the TWS pin does work on the attero, and tws even sells that hardware separate lmao.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/333164/qKQsa8k_jpg-2447072.JPG
View Quote

Wow, didn't know that, I don't have the Bitty mount myself but did talk with the guy when he was designing it...one of the things we mentioned was doing something better than just the split pin Attero uses for the front.

Again on the last rifle I did with the modded Attero, I also threaded the front pin chanel, and used a tiny screw and nut on it, think it was a 10-32 but i'd have to go back and look at it, the nut worked out perfect as I had to shave one side slightly to fit against the ridge on the RSB and it made it anti-rotational. Talk about a tight lockup now, it's crazy strong. Can't see it too good in this pic, have to find the fullsize pic. I almost did a how-to post/vid as I was modding the mount, all in all it was super easy if you're handy with tools.

Link Posted: 7/11/2022 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Running an Attero with a RMR on my SLR106.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:34:46 AM EDT
[#20]

I have the TWS railed cover on my psa 104 as well, very happy with it, just follow the instructions as you install it
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:07:00 PM EDT
[#21]
I finally got around to installing my TWS Gen 3 dog leg.

Seems very solid and well made, and my RDS is now cowitnessing my front sight.  Installation was a breeze.  Only problem is that now the bolt is sticking at the very end of travel.  A sharp smack with the heel of my hand frees it up, but I'm not happy that I may have to grind on a $200 mount to get it to work.  (Poor choice of words--I don't actually have a problem with grinding, but I thought it would be a drop in fit.)

I used TWS's fit chart to get the right one.  (they list 33310 for PSA GF5)

Now for more fun--I'm not seeing any rub marks on the bolt or the cover, so I have no idea where it's hanging up.  I even went as far as to color the bolt and inside of the dust cover with silver sharpie--not seeing anywhere that's contacting or rubbing.  When I charge it by hand, it sticks a little.  If I pull harder on the charging handle, the bolt moves back an additional 1/8" or so, and it gets really stuck.

I'm at a loss....can't figure out where it's sticking (other than 'somewhere' at full travel)

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I finally got around to installing my TWS Gen 3 dog leg.

Seems very solid and well made, and my RDS is now cowitnessing my front sight.  Installation was a breeze.  Only problem is that now the bolt is sticking at the very end of travel.  A sharp smack with the heel of my hand frees it up, but I'm not happy that I may have to grind on a $200 mount to get it to work.  (Poor choice of words--I don't actually have a problem with grinding, but I thought it would be a drop in fit.)

I used TWS's fit chart to get the right one.  (they list 33310 for PSA GF5)

Now for more fun--I'm not seeing any rub marks on the bolt or the cover, so I have no idea where it's hanging up.  I even went as far as to color the bolt and inside of the dust cover with silver sharpie--not seeing anywhere that's contacting or rubbing.  When I charge it by hand, it sticks a little.  If I pull harder on the charging handle, the bolt moves back an additional 1/8" or so, and it gets really stuck.

I'm at a loss....can't figure out where it's sticking (other than 'somewhere' at full travel)

Any ideas?
View Quote
If it's still new, it could be the carrier hanging up on the hammer, that's very common in AKs until they wear in.

Also double check the install of the new main spring guide rod piece and make sure you have the legs of the wire spring guide seated on the end piece right.  Overall just check to make sure it's not binding the spring/guide anywhere.
Link Posted: 8/2/2022 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Figured it out myself.  I just had to take a closer look at the whole package, not just the bolt and cover.

The collar on the bottom of the take-down button had a little casting flaw that was getting stuck on the bolt.  Took about a minute with a fine sanding drum and it's working as expected.

Thanks--and thanks again for the suggestion for the TWS--I'm liking it!
Attachment Attached File
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top