Site Notices
Posted: 4/25/2021 1:30:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: D_J]
Fingers crossed this works
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 1:59:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TX-Zen] [#1]
Vepr 12 and Saiga 12 converted to 'version 030' semi clone
S12 has the awesome Dinzag HG mod and the effective Tac47 adjustable gas plug
Both have been converted to 5.5mm folders with the AK version of the SVDS folding stock

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:12:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dryflash3] [#2]
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 2:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]

I missed the boat on the Saiga 12s and Vepr 12s, but picked up an SDS Lynx 12. So far, it’s been a fun and reliable shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:20:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AEnemaBay] [#4]
VEPR-12 from the heydays when they were $700 with free shipping:

Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Does Tromix still do conversions?
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 6:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mleslie454:
Does Tromix still do conversions?
View Quote
@TonyRumore
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 7:57:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Latest iteration of my KS-12, just got to try it with the new Holosun on it.  Upgraded from a cheap sightmark, I like it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2021 8:56:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DKUltra] [#8]

So I am liking my JTS AK12 after getting used to the gas settings. Still sucks to adjust when the barrel is hot.

What is the most reliable Saiga style drum out there at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:25:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Hey guys,

I'm wrapping up my Saiga 12 conversion. I've installed a magwell and have vepr 12 magazines from SGM functioning flawlessly. This will be used primarily for 3-gun.

I currently have 10 SGM magazines. So far they all seem to work. Are there any other mags I should purchase? I don't see myself needing more than 10, but I also like to get at least two different manufactures in case I find some kind of defect later on. Since so few people own VEPR 12 shotguns, mags are still plentiful. I just discovered CSSspecs. Any other brands to consider?

Also, I'm considering making this my turkey gun in addition to my 3-gun shotgun. I now have a set of SGM chokes. Does anyone still carry the 2 round SGM magazines? If I understand the design correctly, it looks like I can cut one of the 10 round magazines and convert it to a two round magazine. Has anyone tried this?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 3:18:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TonyRumore] [#11]
We stopped doing all Saiga conversions several years ago.
Demand dropped to only about one per month and that kind of volume simply wasn't worth screwing with anymore.
All Saiga-12 parts were discontinued as well.  
FWIW, we designed and built over 85 different aftermarket parts for the Saiga-12 between 2005 and 2016.  At one time we had a 4 year backlog of orders stacked up.
Guys were really surprised when I would call them 4 years later and tell them it was time to send in their gun for work.

It was a good run while it lasted.  

We moved back to the 458 SOCOM when the Saiga died and if/when the 458 tanks, we'll move on to something else.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:51:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DKUltra] [#12]
Whats old is new again?

heres a random pic of my Chaiga AK12!

Have to modify the drum to get it running right.

ETA: didnt see the mdarms post before I bought the sgm last night. I only paid $50 for it so hoping for the best lol

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:54:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
Hey guys,

I'm wrapping up my Saiga 12 conversion. I've installed a magwell and have vepr 12 magazines from SGM functioning flawlessly. This will be used primarily for 3-gun.

I currently have 10 SGM magazines. So far they all seem to work. Are there any other mags I should purchase? I don't see myself needing more than 10, but I also like to get at least two different manufactures in case I find some kind of defect later on. Since so few people own VEPR 12 shotguns, mags are still plentiful. I just discovered CSSspecs. Any other brands to consider?

Also, I'm considering making this my turkey gun in addition to my 3-gun shotgun. I now have a set of SGM chokes. Does anyone still carry the 2 round SGM magazines? If I understand the design correctly, it looks like I can cut one of the 10 round magazines and convert it to a two round magazine. Has anyone tried this?
View Quote
Instead of cutting a mag

just put a wood or other filler block in the ones you have.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By TonyRumore:
We stopped doing all Saiga conversions several years ago.
Demand dropped to only about one per month and that kind of volume simply wasn't worth screwing with anymore.
All Saiga-12 parts were discontinued as well.  
FWIW, we designed and built over 85 different aftermarket parts for the Saiga-12 between 2005 and 2016.  At one time we had a 4 year backlog of orders stacked up.
Guys were really surprised when I would call them 4 years later and tell them it was time to send in their gun for work.

It was a good run while it lasted.  

We moved back to the 458 SOCOM when the Saiga died and if/when the 458 tanks, we'll move on to something else.

Tony Rumore
Tromix
View Quote
You guys were definitely the biggest and best in the industry back then, and I think pushed the S12 as far as it could go in making it mainstream. It was an awesome time to be an S12 owner
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#15]
A few months ago I got an unfired, unmodded saiga 12. After some minor mods, here is where I'm at now!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 6:10:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BlgSal] [#16]
Both major form factors.

(***In on page 1!***)
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By TX-Zen:
You guys were definitely the biggest and best in the industry back then, and I think pushed the S12 as far as it could go in making it mainstream. It was an awesome time to be an S12 owner
View Quote
Oh how I lusted after a Tromix super shorty when I was too poor to even buy a $350 unconverted Saiga 12...
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Couch-Commando:
A few months ago I got an unfired, unmodded saiga 12. After some minor mods, here is where I'm at now!

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/74831/20210428_163332_jpg-1922520.JPG
View Quote
I am liking that stock

can you share the details on it
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 10:06:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By retroangles:
I am liking that stock

can you share the details on it
View Quote
It is a bulgarian triangle side folder that I installed a rubber butt pad from legion USA. Haven't shot it yet with the pad on, but it feels good and increases length of pull 3/4 of an inch.

https://www.legionusa.com/buttpad-for-saiga-vepr-other-ak-based-rifles.html
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 8:49:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:26:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#21]
Sorry for posting here for info. Hopefully I'll have some of my own pics to post soon.

I ordered the Lynx 12, 3 Gun Version from Patriot Firearms. $430 Shipped, and it only cost $10 more for the standard version. I wanted to buy from atlantic but their prices went up to $550-ish.

SDS Imports LH12HF3G LH-12 Lynx 3 Gun 12 Gauge Semi-Auto 3" 19" 5+1 BlackAttachment Attached File

Main differences:
Left Hand Side Charging Handle w/ Extended Knob (I think this service/mod would be a couple hundred on it's own)
Enhanced Safety Lever (Krebs would be $60)
Picatinny Dust Cover (UTG Pro side mount would of been $60, a TWS Cover or RS Regulate would of been $150+)

Not sure if I'm a fan of the dust cover having another cut out. But all of this seemed like a hell of an upgrade for $10

I may just throw a spare Magpul Zhukov Stock/Grip on it and rock on. Also I've been seeing spare Lynx 12 Handguards for dirt cheap. I could probably mod one with some rail segments or something.

I figure with the cash i saved I can buy some extra mags/ammo.

What are the go too mags? SGM seems popular, but what about AGP Arms. They are supposed to be a bit easier to seat on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 12:51:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Best mags are Csspecs steel Saiga 12 mags, but he is often out of stock.  None of them load well on a closed bolt.
Link Posted: 6/15/2021 7:31:40 PM EDT
[#23]

That looks painful!
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 7:13:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Capt_Destro] [#24]
Done with this for now. Debating on the CSS Quad Rail but $300+ just to add a VFG/Light/Troy BUIS is kinda stopping me. For about $100-150 more I can buy another Shotgun (which I probably will)

Left Hand Charger is nice, I can fire folded if I had to; only PITA is the safety.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Also you can load from a closed bolt, but it takes some technique/practice.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 1:41:28 PM EDT
[#25]
I got a lynx 3gun, and boy is it fun. I see some of you have normal handguards on saigas, what do you need to get that done?
Link Posted: 3/14/2022 10:45:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Couch-Commando] [#26]
I hogged out my mag well to fit SGM box magazines awhile back. For some reason, my SGM drum that I bought was too short length wise. It would rock back and forth nearly a quarter inch in the mag well. Depending on orientation, it wouldn't feed. I determined if the bump stop on the rear of the drum were bigger, it would feed perfect. I bought a plastic welder, and fixed it. Not the prettiest mod I've ever done. I carved up two SGM box mags into 2 round mags for hunting, so I have plenty of the same plastic left over for plastic welding. Haven't fired it yet, but it cycles dummy rounds 100%!

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/6/2024 7:47:28 AM EDT
[#27]
I decided to F1 the Vepr (or was it the S12...did I cut the wrong shotty? Sorry AFT man )
This has the exact same feel as moving from a full size 74 to a 105. Damn...I can't say enough about how handy it is
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 10:09:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 12:03:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Im in on this!!

Siaga 410 - - - Saiga 20 - - - Vepr 12

I would like to SBR the Vepr. Is it worth it? I dont trust myself to cut it, how easy is it to cut or who should do the work? Is there enough meat to thread it for Rem Chokes?

Im also thinking about maybe putting wood on the Vepr. Not decided yet.
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:19:42 PM EDT
[#31]
My Tromix built S-12. Put quite a few cases of buck shot thru it with only 1 small issue that wasnt the fault of Tromix. Some years later the factory weld broke on the little side cover that moves with the bolt carrier. Shot Tony an email to see if he could fix it. He said send it to him. He made the repair and sent it back free of charge. Stand up guy and was great to deal with. Thanks Tony

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/14/2024 2:20:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:
Im in on this!!

https://i.imgur.com/05J7DOAh.jpg

Siaga 410 - - - Saiga 20 - - - Vepr 12

I would like to SBR the Vepr. Is it worth it? I dont trust myself to cut it, how easy is it to cut or who should do the work? Is there enough meat to thread it for Rem Chokes?

Im also thinking about maybe putting wood on the Vepr. Not decided yet.
View Quote
Sweet 410! I really like that alot
Link Posted: 4/14/2024 4:51:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Deerhurst:

View Quote

Should be super easy, multiple ways to do it, don't know about chokes, got a set of calipers to measure it?

Lol, cut it on an angle like a slant brake, built-in muzzle brake.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top