Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 9/11/2020 10:55:33 AM EDT
Pondering oiling my virginal wood with boiled linseed as owners manual suggests, maybe pure ting oil.  

Also thinking that I may do this without disassembling- I know, being lazy.  

Any thoughts or input much appreciated!
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 11:52:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Meh - I stained and poly coated my bare wood handguard. It’s easy enough to remove upper and lower handguard assemblies to work on. One and done. Bare wood is just lazy.

Link Posted: 9/15/2020 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I ended up refinishing the walnut on my Zpap with pure tung oil. I first rubbed all of the wood down with mineral spirits and let it dry in the sun outside, 110 degrees the day I started. I then proceeded to put on the coats of tung oil. I used 0000 steel wool to rub the oil in going with the grain then rubbed off the excess with a rag. I let the furniture cure for 24 hours between coats in my garage, temp In the 90’s. I stopped after 6 coats. I let the furniture cure for a week before I reassembled. I like the way it turned out. Sorry for the poor lighting in the pics. I did end up going with a tango down/us palm grip.
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Page AK-47 » Yugoslavian & Serbian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top