Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2018 11:40:20 PM EDT
I ordered a new polish laminate stock set from AK-Builder and it's a nice set. The only issue I have is the upper handguard is darker than the stock and lower which match each other. Is there a way to lighten the upper without getting drastic with it? It's not a huge issue as it doesn't really bother me that much, but if I can tone it down it'd be nice. It's actually much darker than it looks in the pic.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:41:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldnt recommend it, anything that you do is going funk up the actual lamination and its going to have a cloudy appearance.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:06:12 AM EDT
[#2]
That's what I was thinking.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:11:52 AM EDT
[#3]
What finish is on these?  Just boiled linseed oil?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure. I think it's linseed but I am no expert on it. Has an old oil smell to it almost like cosmoline odor but it's all new production.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 10:53:39 PM EDT
[#5]
You could try to stain the lower handguard darker or possibly bleach the upper or both, then stain.  Yes, careful of the lamination - it's glue and any chemical could unravel it.  Use one of the "unpainted furniture" retailers/re-finishers near you to do it.  They know wood and staining and would probably do it cheap.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top