Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2022 2:54:55 PM EDT
From the Bishkek Stamping Plant. Best Value ammo is carrying it and says non corrosive. Outdoors Limited(pictured below) is saying to consider it corrosive..... I am sure someone will do a nail test.  
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:50:08 PM EDT
[#1]
This is 122gr 7.62x39 though. The BSP ammo at BVA is 124gr 7.62x39. Would that matter?
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:44:28 PM EDT
[#2]
No. Don't worry about 2 grains.

It's probably a rounding error converting grams to grains.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 12:35:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is 122gr 7.62x39 though. The BSP ammo at BVA is 124gr 7.62x39. Would that matter?
View Quote

Its just the weight of the bullet, I see bullet weight for 7.62x39 between 122 to 124 grain.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#4]
This ammo is made at the former Frunze (Factory 60) Soviet era ammo plant.

The name was changed to Bishkek after the fall of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 3:38:04 PM EDT
[#5]
The bullet looks sealed? that blue stuff around it at least makes it look that way. Im curious to see if the primer is sealed too. If it is, this stuff might be pretty good...

ETA Looks like it is some sort of sealant... That primer seating looks pretty bad though... Maybe its just how the sealant is applied...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 4:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Looks like some stuff I got that was supposedly Romanian years ago. I need to check the head stamps on it now.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:31:59 AM EDT
[#7]
The Romanian SADU plant uses a very similar primer sealant and this ammo does remind me of it quite a bit.

I would guess this ammo is of better quality than Romanian though.

I would be suspect of corrosive primers on these though.

This lot is dated 2020 so it was probably not made with the American commercial market in mind and could very well be loaded with corrosive primers.

You have to understand in the former Soviet countries it's assumed the primers are corrosive and it's no big deal. It's just what they are used to.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The Romanian SADU plant uses a very similar primer sealant and this ammo does remind me of it quite a bit.

I would guess this ammo is of better quality than Romanian though.

I would be suspect of corrosive primers on these though.

This lot is dated 2020 so it was probably not made with the American commercial market in mind and could very well be loaded with corrosive primers.

You have to understand in the former Soviet countries it's assumed the primers are corrosive and it's no big deal. It's just what they are used to.
View Quote

I check mine last night and the the sealant is over the whole of the primer and the cases are a bit different in color from the pics online.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh buddy yup it's corrosive. I found out the hard way today. Shot a few mags thru some of my AKs worth of this stuff last week. Left it in my safe for a week until this afternoon where I saw on another AK forum that this stuff is corrosive. Brand new SAM7 and minty Norinco T56 all rusted up inside....

BVA who is another importer of this says on their site and on the box "NON CORROSIVE"

Nice.......
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 1:38:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Oh buddy yup it's corrosive. I found out the hard way today. Shot a few mags thru some of my AKs worth of this stuff last week. Left it in my safe for a week until this afternoon where I saw on another AK forum that this stuff is corrosive. Brand new SAM7 and minty Norinco T56 all rusted up inside....

BVA who is another importer of this says on their site and on the box "NON CORROSIVE"

Nice.......
View Quote
Just to be sure since several things have been posted in this thread, you're talking about the "BVA" head stamped stuff with the emerald-green sealant and comes in these boxes marked "Made in Kyrgyzstan"?

Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:36:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Well it was on their site this morning, but as of now the BVA 7.62x39 Kyrgyzstan made stuff is gone from their store, and also from Cheapest Ammo.

So either they sold out pretty quick or suddenly people started calling them about the corrosive issue and they pulled it.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 6:53:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Nice.......
View Quote

@low_slow_2v

Got pics or link to the other forum?
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 1:27:28 PM EDT
[#13]
Just another AK round made for the military that they want to last a long time, just like the M-67 that the Yugo's load; corrosive primers. Guys, if you shoot unknown or questionable military ammo, clean your rifles & pistols before sticking them in the safe or corner. It's cheap insurance that you won't rust up an expensive weapon. I did buy a case of that ammo as it was new & a fair price, plus free shipping!

My Dad made me clean all guns after a range session & I am glad he instilled that into my head. He knew most of it was noncorrosive, but wanted me to form a habit of cleaning & now with all the corrosive ammo we were buying, it has paid off.

He tried to tell me to stay away from less than worthy women, but he failed on that one because of youth (mine)!
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#14]

Is there any damage
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 6:35:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Thanks. That's ugly!!!
Link Posted: 4/26/2022 9:03:01 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm pissed. Don't know what to do now as this happened to some very expensive imported AKs... ammo was sold, marketed as non-corr. Now I have damaged firearm
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#17]

Honestly that looks like it should come right off with a little hot soapy water and maybe an oily patch.

I don't see any pitting at all myself.
Link Posted: 4/27/2022 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#18]

That is pretty superficial IMHO. I've seen and cleaned up worse.

Any "damage" might be cosmetic, but functionally will have no effect. I've been an AK guy for almost 35 years and have three mantras that guide me regarding them:

1. Never trust any (especially newly imported brands) foreign made 7.62 or 5.45 is non-corrosive unless you test it first. Too many instances of corrosive coming in as "non-corrosive" through the years. If you have expensive or safe-queen AKs, this is especially important.

2. It's just an AK. They can be abused and neglected greatly and still be 100% functional.

3. Just because you don't have to clean them, still clean them after use. Even if it is a 5 minute wipe-down or field cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 6:53:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I opened an inquiry with Cheapest Ammo because I bought 1000 rounds from them.  Basically I said I had heard of some reports that the ammo is corrosive.  This is their response:

We were recently informed by a couple of our customers that 7.62X39 BSP may be corrosive. We have opened an investigation with the manufacturer in Bishkek since this product should never have been corrosive. This product was suppose to be identical to the one we received from the Vympel factory a few months ago marked as non-corrosive. Unfortunately, this does not seem to be the case. We are trying to make amends with our customers that have run into issues using this product. We are not sure if all the product we received is corrosive or just a few bad boxes. As of now, we have pulled this product from our page since we are still trying to figure this out and to prevent any more discrepancies or issues. Please let us know how we can assist you. Thank you

So I guess they are asking me what I want to do.

Rob
Link Posted: 4/30/2022 12:23:25 PM EDT
[#20]
Tell them to send you another case and call it even.

I would gladly buy corrosive for the right price.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 1:08:48 PM EDT
[#21]
They sent a broadcast email today.  It just tells you what happened and doesn't offer to do shit about it.  I am asking for a refund, but would settle for a rebate.

Dear ?ustomer,
Based on the information provided by BSP, we would like to inform you that 7.62 x 39 ammo by BSP you purchased recently, may contain corrosive primer.  Some BSP 7.62x39 cartridges were mistakenly mis-graded by the manufacturer.  This ammo is not remanufactured; it is brand-new, with a lacquered steel case, sealed primer, and case mouth. The package says non-corrosive primer, but in fact, the package might contain corrosive primed ammo. Corrosive primed ammo will leave a residue in the gun that can cause surface rust to form if left uncleaned for extended periods. It's harmless to your firearm if you clean the bolt, barrel, and gas system after each use. We are committed to providing our customers with safe and reliable ammunition at the best value. If you have any questions, or need further information, please contact us.
Cheapest Ammo Team

Rob
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought 2k of their Vympel ammo and its been great. Noticed they switched and decided to wait and see. Glad I did.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:21:21 AM EDT
[#23]
Further update.  

I asked for a refund and they sent a shipping label if I want to do that, or I can get 20% back.  The would bring the price as delivered to about $307.  What are your guys' thoughts on this for ammo that "may" be corrosive (or some is, some isn't).

I shoot corrosive in lots of old military calibers and in 5.45, plus I have plenty of the Yugo M67.  Is the hassle of diligent cleaning worth it at $307/k ?

Edit:  I see Best Value Ammo has it listed again AS CORROSIVE, with free shipping and at the same price I paid before, but I also paid $30 shipping.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:22:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bought 2k of their Vympel ammo and its been great. Noticed they switched and decided to wait and see. Glad I did.
View Quote

I ALMOST bought that and of course wish I had.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 12:59:56 PM EDT
[#25]
Corrosive is no big deal.  Just clean within a few hours of shooting.  Thats it!
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#26]
You would think the importer would do in house QC checks instead of taking the manufacturer word on it.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#27]
You would think!

This is the third time I have seen new ammo labeled as non-corrosive when in fact it was corrosive.

The second I saw the lot # was from 2020 I knew there was a very distinct possibility this ammo could be corrosive.

Had this been 2022 produced ammo I could have seen a scenario where they purposefully made ammo for the U.S. market and made the effort to use non-corrosive primers.

Corrosive primers in the former Soviet Bloc are just seen as normal, and normal military production ammo was simply diverted to the commercial civilian pipeline to fill this order.

No concern is given to using them because almost all ammunition is made for military contracts and the soldiers are required to clean their weapons after every range session.

The fact these primers were corrosive were of no concern and zero thought was made when these were packaged up for U.S. civilian consumption.

Now that they have been made aware of the issue, they may or may not decide to actually use non-corrosive primers, but the importers should spot check every lot from now on.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:40:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'm pissed. Don't know what to do now as this happened to some very expensive imported AKs... ammo was sold, marketed as non-corr. Now I have damaged firearm
View Quote

This used to be common with Chinese ammo that was sold here in America. The .223, .308 and 7.62x39 all marked on the box as non-corrosive and ended up being corrosive. They don't care.
Link Posted: 5/24/2022 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#29]
I got my full refund from Cheapest Ammo about a week after shipping it back to them.

Rob
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top