Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2021 3:22:48 PM EDT
I've been getting into AKs and recently decided to make the splurge, especially with the import stuff looming over. I'm more of a quality > quantity kind of guy, and keep reading the Bulgarian AK variants are made the best. I got a SAM7SF-84E for $1799 on GunBroker yesterday ($100 off MSRP on Arsenal's website but sheesh. Historical prices have me punching the air. Yes, worst time to get into guns: 2020). Thinking of putting an RS Regulate mount for an Aimpoint red dot, not sure if front or back is better. Best mags for Arsenal, Circle 10? Do people swap the furniture to wood, or is that more reserved for the older authentic Russian made rifles? Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Cheers
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:04:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#1]
Circle 10 mags are considered the best of the best, but they are expensive.

If you want cheaper mags there are Bulgarian made steel and polymer mags that are great as well and are $20 a pop:

Steel: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bulgarian-ak-47-7-62x39mm-30-round-steel-magazine.html
Polymer: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bulgarian-ak-47-7-62x39mm-30-round-reinforced-steel-lug-polymer-magazine.html

Milled receivers have some part disparity vs. stamped receivers... mainly with handguards and stocks.

Here are handguard/grip sets specific to the SAM7SF: https://www.combloccustoms.com/product-page/arsenal-sam7sf-handguard-and-pistol-grip-sets

Also because the SAM7SF has the ambi safety you have to be aware of that when it comes to pistol grips as you'll need some space on the left for the safety.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:45:11 PM EDT
[#2]
I started with a Mak 90 from the ban era. Original owner, it sat in the safe for many years. In 2004 I started making changes.

I went with an AKT trigger, Shepherds Crook hammer and trigger pin retention device, an Ultimak railed gas tube for a Red dot sight, and a Magpul Zhukov side folder stock.

Not a clone of anything, just a great combination of parts that makes for a very shootable rifle that is more accurate and fun than I'd have ever expected.  

YMMV
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 3:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Zeebz:
Circle 10 mags are considered the best of the best, but they are expensive.

If you want cheaper mags there are Bulgarian made steel and polymer mags that are great as well and are $20 a pop:

Steel: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bulgarian-ak-47-7-62x39mm-30-round-steel-magazine.html
Polymer: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/bulgarian-ak-47-7-62x39mm-30-round-reinforced-steel-lug-polymer-magazine.html

Milled receivers have some part disparity vs. stamped receivers... mainly with handguards and stocks.

Here are handguard/grip sets specific to the SAM7SF: https://www.combloccustoms.com/product-page/arsenal-sam7sf-handguard-and-pistol-grip-sets

Also because the SAM7SF has the ambi safety you have to be aware of that when it comes to pistol grips as you'll need some space on the left for the safety.
View Quote

Awesome, this is exactly what I was looking for. Good to know about the pistol grip detail, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/12/2021 9:57:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKR] [#4]
Circle 10 and Russian bakelites are what everyone want, but at the end of the day, a mil surplus metal mag will do you fine if you dont want to pay extra for the plastic stuff.  Wood furniture is a personal preference thing.   All my 7.62 guns have wood well for one thing, they are all older 80s import guns.  For the newer stuff, one 5.45 74M type has plastic and the other is a AKS-74 triangle folder russian import which is switched to wood.  Go with what you like, its an AK!
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:28:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer the front-biased RS Regulate (301?) to the rear, but good luck find either of them. I've been looking for a front biased for my SLR107 for the last 3 months.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:35:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DprvdDgnrt] [#6]
Nothing wrong with putting wood on a Sam here’s a Sam UF I had ..... if I could any gun back it would be this one

Most wooden handguards you’ll find are for stamped rifles ..... if that’s all you can find you just have to remove a bit of wood from the block that goes into the receiver

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:07:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Paid the pandemic tax  too and grabbed the same model from Rainier arms for 1800. Plan on getting a handguard with a pic rail so I can throw a light and still figuring out how to mount an optic. Probably a M5 or T2 will go on there.. Anyone have any input on optic mounts?
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 11:17:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zeebz] [#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Deckhandjim:
Paid the pandemic tax  too and grabbed the same model from Rainier arms for 1800. Plan on getting a handguard with a pic rail so I can throw a light and still figuring out how to mount an optic. Probably a M5 or T2 will go on there.. Anyone have any input on optic mounts?
View Quote

RS Regulate is considered the best of the best.  Midwest Industries makes very good stuff, too.

A cheap option to consider as opposed to the Aimpoint is a BelOMO PK-01V.  Comes with the mount and everything for around $300.  It's an actual Russian military optic and gets shipped from Russia.  Mine took about a month to get here.  They are crude looking but are extremely durable.  It co-witnesses with the irons, too.

If you go to Ivan Tactical's website you'll find them there if you're interested.
Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top