Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2018 7:31:01 PM EDT
My Cabelas has an npap underfolder and an npap wood stock. I like the feel of them and they seem built well. They feel light to me for an AK but I think I’m mistaken because I’ve heard they are heavy.

Atlantic is out of Npaps but they have WASRs. The price difference is negligee. Any reason to go with one over the other? What’s the weight difference between an npap and a WASR?

I’d probably just buy an SLR 107 but those are nowhere to be found.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 7:35:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Zastava NPAP 5000rds later: The End!

I've never owned an NPAP, but I've heard of issues like those above, the barrels also aren't chrome lined and the furniture is proprietary.

As for the WASR, I have a new one and it goes bang every time and is accurate, but the fit and finish sucks. The furniture is also junk.

If you want an Arsenal, find an Arsenal, they're worth the price.

ETA: My WASR and Arsenal.

The WASR is wearing commie wood in the pic.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:11:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvAz185Z6-I

I've never owned an NPAP, but I've heard of issues like those above, the barrels also aren't chrome lined and the furniture is proprietary.

As for the WASR, I have a new one and it goes bang every time and is accurate, but the fit and finish sucks. The furniture is also junk.

If you want an Arsenal, find an Arsenal, they're worth the price.

ETA: My WASR and Arsenal.

The WASR is wearing commie wood in the pic.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/371851/4E75A78F-F506-4A4D-B2DC-98C618AFE079-471853.JPG
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:15:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Are the npaps heavier than average?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#4]
WASR got that good chrome lined barrel and accepts standard AKM furniture.

With the prices being so close, spend the extra on the WASR. They have donkey strong recievers too.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Can’t speak to those options but the blem Palmetto AK with full Magpul furniture for $499/shipped was too hard to pass up. Seems recently that they’ve clarified that they have a lifetime warranty on their guns. Have you looked into their AKs at all? I know they have mixed feedback but most members here who own one seem to have good things to say.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 10:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got an NPAP that I've put 1500 round s through and after close inspection it looks great internally.

The fit and finish is better than that of a WASR and both guns now come with the same Century "good enough for a range gun" but not military quality, soft,  wooden furniture.

The WASR has a chrome lined barrel and is almost certainly a more durable rifle overall.

If I was buying again, I'd still choose the NPAP.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I may grab this new Npap underfolder at cabelas just to have and then keep my eyes out for any new Arsenal shipments, or just do it proper and get a Rifle Dynamics fun built.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:27:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are the npaps heavier than average?
View Quote
I believe the O-paps might be a bit heavier than standard AKs.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#9]
N-Pap receiver has dimples. Wasr does not. GARY
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
N-Pap receiver has dimples. Wasr does not. GARY
View Quote
Many people believe they do, but those dimples don’t matter.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:04:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Many people believe they do, but those dimples don’t matter.
View Quote
The dimples do matter and serve a purpose. On the WASR the dimples don't matter because there is small steel plates welded into the spots the dimples would be. The only purpose the dimples serve is to strengthen the sheet metal in that area. They have no other purpose. Without the dimples and no steel welded in that area of the receiver would be weak. Sheet metal and duct workers know what I'm talking about. That's why they put creases in the sheet metal duct work. Why they chose to use small steel plates to strengthen these spots on the receiver instead of dimples is beyond me.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Hey is there any reason not to buy an Npap poly gun for $500?
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 9:43:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey is there any reason not to buy an Npap poly gun for $500?
View Quote
No reason I can think of, I was going to get one and they were sold out. I don't like the non-chrome lined barrels but bought an OPAP,NPAP and NPAP Underfolder. So far the FCG holes haven't egged and the receiver hasn't cracked and I've shot the NPAPs a lot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 1:20:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Classic Firearms is showing the poly N Pap in stock at 499 right now.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/century-ri2085-npap-rifle-semiauto
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 12:22:33 PM EDT
[#15]
if you want a safe queen, get whichever is prettier.  If you want to beat the hell out of one and shoot it regularly, get the WASR.  My WASR is not a pretty firearm, but it sure works well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 6:44:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Well the only real answer is: If you don't already have a WASR, buy one before you buy anything else.

I love my dirty little romanian ho.
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#17]
If you plan on changing things, go with the WASR, because the Yugos take slightly different parts, particularly furniture.
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 8:25:31 AM EDT
[#18]
wasr all the way. Not only does the wasr have a chrome lined barrel, but it also has a stronger receiver.
Now granted none of us are going to shoot until our receiver breaks, however battlefield Vegas is reporting their npap receivers to break at around 50k and all others lasting beyond 100k.
If anything that is a testament to the respective rifles overall quality.
Also the advantage of furniture compatibility is always nice, and the price points are so close
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:26:57 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
wasr all the way. Not only does the wasr have a chrome lined barrel, but it also has a stronger receiver.
Now granted none of us are going to shoot until our receiver breaks, however battlefield Vegas is reporting their npap receivers to break at around 50k and all others lasting beyond 100k.
If anything that is a testament to the respective rifles overall quality.
Also the advantage of furniture compatibility is always nice, and the price points are so close
View Quote
There's no doubt in my mind that the WASR is more durable than the NPAP, but as they themselves pointed out, Battlefield Las Vegas rents their guns after converting them to full auto and then their customers do full auto mag dumps for hours on end.

If a rifle can withstand 10s of thousands of rounds via continuous full auto mag dumps it's good enough for virtually all purposes likely to be encountered in private ownership.

If I was running an operation like that of Battlefield Las Vegas I definitely choose the WASRs for their durability.
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Get both.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

WASR looks like this now
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/22/2018 7:31:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
My Cabelas has an npap underfolder and an npap wood stock. I like the feel of them and they seem built well. They feel light to me for an AK but I think I’m mistaken because I’ve heard they are heavy.

Atlantic is out of Npaps but they have WASRs. The price difference is negligee. Any reason to go with one over the other? What’s the weight difference between an npap and a WASR?

I’d probably just buy an SLR 107 but those are nowhere to be found.
View Quote
Of the 4 Wasr10 rifles I have owned, 3 of them were Romanian and needed to have the magwell massaged. Original Wasr rifles were single stacks mag rifles. And they were converted by a drunk machinist to accept double stack mags. The openings were rough, and usually not opened up enough or evenly to accept anything but Korean mags.

An hour with a file usually solved it.

I have not heard of this being an issue recently. But any wasr's from 2004-2006 it was hit or miss.

I do miss those 2006 AK prices though...
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 9:08:41 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Why they chose to use small steel plates to strengthen these spots on the receiver instead of dimples is beyond me.
View Quote
Somebody posted something about this the other day, but I can't find it.  Basically, it boiled down to Cugir having to send the WASRs in single-stack for import restrictions, so they used those plates that could be milled out instead of dimples.  It has to work single-stack to be imported, so they couldn't use dimples.
Link Posted: 3/23/2018 3:41:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Somebody posted something about this the other day, but I can't find it.  Basically, it boiled down to Cugir having to send the WASRs in single-stack for import restrictions, so they used those plates that could be milled out instead of dimples.  It has to work single-stack to be imported, so they couldn't use dimples.
View Quote
I saw that. I think Rob Ski posted it in a video or maybe it was on facebook. He has a connection who works at Cugir and gives him info on numbers of WASRs being sent to us and when etc. etc. The plates still strengthen that area of the receiver but that is their secondary purpose.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 6:17:32 AM EDT
[#25]
I’ve been reading reports on the rivet holes in the receivers egg holing on some of the commercial built Yugo rifles and pistols so you may want to be aware of that before you buy. I’ve always admired Yugo weapons for their heft and quality so I decided to have a m72 built on a quality receiver than buy what’s being offered today.

If you are stuck with those two choices buy the WASR all day long. I’d suggest looking for a SAR-1. It’s like a WASR but has demples. Just thread the muzzle.
Link Posted: 3/31/2018 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I’ve been reading reports on the rivet holes in the receivers egg holing on some of the commercial built Yugo rifles and pistols so you may want to be aware of that before you buy. I’ve always admired Yugo weapons for their heft and quality so I decided to have a m72 built on a quality receiver than buy what’s being offered today.

If you are stuck with those two choices buy the WASR all day long. I’d suggest looking for a SAR-1. It’s like a WASR but has demples. Just thread the muzzle.
View Quote
iirc the egg holing is caused by the usage of pins meant for 1.5mm recievers. Replace them with regular 1.0mm pins and that won't happen. NPAPs also have notoriously weak recoil springs as well.
Link Posted: 4/6/2018 9:17:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Well, I can see the WASR as being more "collectible" in the future and retaining value better than the commercial Zastava's.  Get a PAP variant to beat on and put the more valuable AK's away.  In my case an underfolder.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:35:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The dimples do matter and serve a purpose. On the WASR the dimples don't matter because there is small steel plates welded into the spots the dimples would be. The only purpose the dimples serve is to strengthen the sheet metal in that area. They have no other purpose. Without the dimples and no steel welded in that area of the receiver would be weak. Sheet metal and duct workers know what I'm talking about. That's why they put creases in the sheet metal duct work. Why they chose to use small steel plates to strengthen these spots on the receiver instead of dimples is beyond me.
View Quote
The dimples do provide a purpose other than just stiffening that part of the receiver. They keep the magazine aligned.

The original WASR had single stack mags which were narrower and a standard dimple would not go deep enough to keep the mag aligned. The plates extended deeper to support these magazines.

When the magwells were opened up for double stack mags, these plates were opened up as well.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The dimples do provide a purpose other than just stiffening that part of the receiver. They keep the magazine aligned
View Quote
No they don't. The only purpose for the dimples is as I stated. They don't even touch the mag and have nothing to do with the mag. Go do some research and you'll see I know what I'm talking about. There is several videos even on the subject if youtube hasn't deleted them. Even one video of a Russian in the factory explaining the purpose of the dimples.
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 7:18:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Kinda funny if this question was asked 2 years ago the answers would be an exact 180....lol

Now we're actually speaking of not shooting a WASR so it retains its value?

The NPAP was certainly the "goto" for AKs in the lower cost spectrum until a guy ran one over with a truck....lol
Link Posted: 4/24/2018 8:01:11 PM EDT
[#31]
The NPap is still an excellent first AK. Especially when they were under 500...
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:05:58 AM EDT
[#32]
Get a MAK...it's chromed in all the right places.  After 1K+ rounds, not one issue.

Before

After

Link Posted: 4/25/2018 7:37:49 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Kinda funny if this question was asked 2 years ago the answers would be an exact 180....lol

Now we're actually speaking of not shooting a WASR so it retains its value?

The NPAP was certainly the "goto" for AKs in the lower cost spectrum until a guy ran one over with a truck....lol
View Quote
Lol so true.

I've got an NPAP with the newer 2 rivet receiver and the improved Warsaw style stock,  as well as an Arsenal SAM7R which is by far the favorite military style rifle I own,  and, as of today, they  both currently have roughly 2000 rounds each through them.

The NPAP which still has the much maligned factory recoil spring in it, is showing virtually no discernable wear at all to the bolt carrier tail, receiver, trunions or bolt; whereas the SAM7R is demonstrating a fair amount of bolt carrier tail wear; nothing to be concerned about, but it is there, whereas the NPAP bolt carrier is virtually the same as it was before the rifle was ever fired.

More importantly the front and rear trunions are still looking absolutely perfect, as is the bolt itself.

I'm not claiming that the NPAP is better than  or equal to the milled Arsenal rifle; but its a damned nice rifle too.

The only 2 practical drawbacks to the PAP are:

1...the non chrome lined barrel which doesn't bother me because I don't ever shoot corrosive ammo.

Otherwise, it's a terrific barrel.

And...2..the magazine well is a bit tight which prevents me from seating certain magazines in it that fit perfectly into the SAM7R such as steel Croatian Fig Leaf, and Arsenal Circle 10s.

I had to file down some Fig Leaf mags a bit to fit the PAP, but I won't be filing down any 45 dollar Circle 10s.

I paid $475 NIB to a dealer last August at The Fort Lauderdale Gun Show.

The fit and finish is very good and the rivets are perfect, but the furniture is the same beechwood crap that Century installs on the WASRs.

Disclaimer:

I haven't repeatedly thrown either of the rifles down onto hard concrete, done pushups on them; or run over them with a heavy truck, and I strip, inspect, clean, and lubricate them after every trip to the range.

Link Posted: 5/3/2018 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

No they don't. The only purpose for the dimples is as I stated. They don't even touch the mag and have nothing to do with the mag. Go do some research and you'll see I know what I'm talking about. There is several videos even on the subject if youtube hasn't deleted them. Even one video of a Russian in the factory explaining the purpose of the dimples.
View Quote
I'd suggest having a look at the wear marks the inside of your receiver and figuring it out for yourself. It won't take long.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'd suggest having a look at the wear marks the inside of your receiver and figuring it out for yourself. It won't take long.
View Quote
I suggest you go do some research because you are very wrong. Oh you may have been here longer than I but I guarantee I have far more experience with the AK. Please do yourself a favor and go learn about the rifle instead of perpetuating BS.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:35:51 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 7:15:02 AM EDT
[#37]
I would buy the WASR, no question. Chrome lined barrel, mine has been the most accurate AK I've ever owned, and if you check out the Henderson Defense thread they are extremely durable. Furniture and finish aren't great, but that's an easy fix.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top