Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/21/2017 12:53:07 PM EDT
I pulled five rounds  out of a single stack WASR  magazine. The head stamp has a number three and a number 94. It looks like hollow point with a steel core. Any idea what it is or who it's made by?
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The cases appear to have some type of lacquer or coating on them. However they don't feel sticky to the touch.

Any information you might have would be appreciated. I'd hate to shoot up some good ammunition just plinking.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Lead core boat tail hollow point made by Ulyanovsk (Russia) in 1994. Lacquered steel case, bi-metal jacket. Not a good hollow point and nothing special.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#2]
10-4 Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 5:03:53 PM EDT
[#3]
This was the early Russian ammo imported after Clinton banned the Chinese stuff.  Some was corrosive military ammo, that was actually steel core.  They drilled a Mickey Mouse hole in the tip, and said it was HP.  Well, it was H.P. if you figure the point had a hole drill in it!!  Pretty much standard Russian/soviet type AK.Sks ammo.

Later the Russians decided all their ammo had to have an animal, but it a Wolf, or a Bear, or a Tiger, and some even had an owl!  That was the Sapsan ammo which Century imported for a very short while.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:40:15 PM EDT
[#4]
This is my experience, the Russians deceided it was easier to take steel cored PS Ball ammo and drill a hollow point in it and sell them.  That supply ran out, and they started using a regular lead cored HP bullet.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:03:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This is my experience, the Russians deceided it was easier to take steel cored PS Ball ammo and drill a hollow point in it and sell them.  That supply ran out, and they started using a regular lead cored HP bullet.
View Quote
In my experience, these steel cored hollow points were not made from PS ball projectiles. Based on my examination of a number of these rounds, the projectiles used were similar to the PS but were in fact of the "PP" (Enhanced Penetration) or "7N27" type. The core is the same as the PS, but very hard. Additionally, the base of the jacket is not rolled inwards like on the PS. Known head stamps are "711 92" and "711 93".
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:18:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This was the early Russian ammo imported after Clinton banned the Chinese stuff.  Some was corrosive military ammo, that was actually steel core.  They drilled a Mickey Mouse hole in the tip, and said it was HP.  Well, it was H.P. if you figure the point had a hole drill in it!!  Pretty much standard Russian/soviet type AK.Sks ammo.

Later the Russians decided all their ammo had to have an animal, but it a Wolf, or a Bear, or a Tiger, and some even had an owl!  That was the Sapsan ammo which Century imported for a very short while.
View Quote
"Sapsan" in Russian means "Peregrine Falcon", and the box has a Falcon on it...
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep....my age is showing DD. I quit collecting about 12 years or maybe re back, and finally sold everything off. Still have a few loose rds but it many.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top