Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2020 2:57:42 PM EDT
Im just looking for suggestion on mounting a light on my am-v. Below is how it’s setup, I’d like to keep it this way if possible. But I’m not sure how to go about mounting a light. If I put a piece of rail on the light is to far back to manipulate with my thumb.

I guess I should caveat that I’m hoping to be able to use either a surefire x300u-a or an Inforce apl, as I have both of these already.

Thanks for any advice!

https://imgur.com/a/FvrNgkz
Link Posted: 3/8/2020 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
First, a question of my own.  What lower rail is that?

The issue that you're going to run into is that unless you extend the light beyond the handguard, you're not going to be able to get your thumb on it in order to activate it.  If you mount it on the right side of the rifle, the same issue exists in that you wont be able to get a thumb on it.  The solution to that is a pressure pad.  The issue there is that the pressure pad will not be easily activated on one side of the rifle.  The best location for a pressure pad would be at 12 o'clock but im not a fan of velcro or glue on those things.

Would you be opposed to an upper railed section with a t-rex arms light bar that will push your light beyond the muzzle device?  The issue you may run into will be with blast from the comp that may eventually break the mount.  Ask me how I know...

Guns these small are super hard to get set up appropriately.  I'm suffering from the same dilemma as you.
Link Posted: 3/9/2020 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
First, a question of my own.  What lower rail is that?

The issue that you're going to run into is that unless you extend the light beyond the handguard, you're not going to be able to get your thumb on it in order to activate it.  If you mount it on the right side of the rifle, the same issue exists in that you wont be able to get a thumb on it.  The solution to that is a pressure pad.  The issue there is that the pressure pad will not be easily activated on one side of the rifle.  The best location for a pressure pad would be at 12 o'clock but im not a fan of velcro or glue on those things.

Would you be opposed to an upper railed section with a t-rex arms light bar that will push your light beyond the muzzle device?  The issue you may run into will be with blast from the comp that may eventually break the mount.  Ask me how I know...

Guns these small are super hard to get set up appropriately.  I'm suffering from the same dilemma as you.
View Quote
The rail system is a psa system. I just don’t use the upper, American made an lifetime warranty I believe.

I like the trex arms light bar a lot except that I have buy a scout light. I think I could Mount that on my lower hand guard on the the left side an use a tail cap switch to activate with my support hand thumb.

Only down side is sinking a bunch of money into a scout light. But this may allow me to keep my wood upper hand guard.
Link Posted: 3/10/2020 6:45:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Assuming you are right handed, I would get an IWC extended mount (SMCXL) and put the light on the right side of the hand guard and then run a tape switch to the left side of the hand guard at the front of the rail. Something like the streamlight protac rm1 or rm2. IWC has a package that includes those lights and they come with a tape switch and a few mounting solutions for the switch. If you do the bundle with that mount and the RM1 it's $119.00

Combo

or if you want to use the x300 you could mount it on one of the IWC mounts with a rail chunk on the left side.

x300 mount

They also make non XL versions if you don't have to lever them out that far, I am not real familiar with the PSA. I have mounts these on a few M4 hand guards on rental UTM rifles at a force on force training facility I run and they are pretty tough. People trying to get through doorways too fast hang the light up on the door frame all the time and they've been dropped directly on the lights with no bending or anything on the mount. I have RM1 lights on them and Polytacs in ring mounts and they have not gone anywhere. They've even taken some direct lens hits with UTM and the didn't crack or break.

I have no affiliation with IWC or Streamlight, just a big fan of their stuff.
Link Posted: 3/11/2020 6:29:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Assuming you are right handed, I would get an IWC extended mount (SMCXL) and put the light on the right side of the hand guard and then run a tape switch to the left side of the hand guard at the front of the rail. Something like the streamlight protac rm1 or rm2. IWC has a package that includes those lights and they come with a tape switch and a few mounting solutions for the switch. If you do the bundle with that mount and the RM1 it's $119.00

Combo

or if you want to use the x300 you could mount it on one of the IWC mounts with a rail chunk on the left side.

x300 mount

They also make non XL versions if you don't have to lever them out that far, I am not real familiar with the PSA. I have mounts these on a few M4 hand guards on rental UTM rifles at a force on force training facility I run and they are pretty tough. People trying to get through doorways too fast hang the light up on the door frame all the time and they've been dropped directly on the lights with no bending or anything on the mount. I have RM1 lights on them and Polytacs in ring mounts and they have not gone anywhere. They've even taken some direct lens hits with UTM and the didn't crack or break.

I have no affiliation with IWC or Streamlight, just a big fan of their stuff.
View Quote
Bro thank you! I think the second option should work great for me!!

Best option I have found so far that didn’t require a new light!
Link Posted: 4/2/2020 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Im just looking for suggestion on mounting a light on my am-v. Below is how it's setup, I'd like to keep it this way if possible. But I'm not sure how to go about mounting a light. If I put a piece of rail on the light is to far back to manipulate with my thumb.

I guess I should caveat that I'm hoping to be able to use either a surefire x300u-a or an Inforce apl, as I have both of these already.

Thanks for any advice!

https://imgur.com/a/FvrNgkz
View Quote
Why not try a gooseneck mount from the lower handguard?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 10:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Maybe try a Magpul cantilever mount? It moves the light about an inch forward which frees up room on the handguard. I have an Inforce WML and with the Magpul mount it puts it in a position that doesn't interfere with my grip and I can also access the activation button quickly

Page AK-47 » AK Pistols/SBR
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top