Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/8/2021 8:22:20 PM EDT
I received a 7.62x39 mm Volk last month and finally got to take to the range.  Figured I would share my thoughts now that I have shot it.

A little background -  I am an AK guy going way back, the first rifle I bought was a beat to crap Chinese Clayco Underfolder (still going strong a few decades later!).  I got away from AKs for a while but recently decided I wanted something more modern.  Prices and availability of parts kits etc. made something from either Rifle Dynamics or Meridian Defense my top choices (as opposed to just having something built).  I chose Meridian because of the Sharps Bros. Milled Receiver /  AR stock tube as well as the factory installed M-lok lower handguard.  So last year I plucked down a deposit and started the wait (I had heard horror stories but I was pleasantly surprised when the gun showed up only about 5 weeks past the estimate).  

Rifle comes standard with a 14.5 in US made barrel, ALG trigger, front extended m-lok handguard and gas tube picatinny rail, and a 14.5 in barrel that needs a pin / weld (non-NFA), tango down grip and Magpul CTR stock.  I went with a black finish, KNS adj. gas piston, added side rail, upgraded Krebs selector and p/w Deadair keymo brake.

Pros:

Superb fit / finish -  very tight where it should be like bolt carrier to receiver fit

Points well and shot straight right out of the box

The ALG trigger is crisp and perfect for an AK.

The gun shoots soft / flat - it does not recoil and rise like other 7.62 AKs I have fired (probably the weight and the brake combo) - it did not feel over or under gassed either.

Accessories were easy to mount (as would be expected)    

Handled mil spec steel, Russian Bakelite 30s and Circle 10 30s and inexpensive imported steel cased ammo just fine

Cons:

AKs tend to be heavy.  Milled Receiver is heavy.  Add rails etc. and an accessory or 2 and now you have a really heavy rifle for what it is.

They kept the same standard AK sights.  If anyone has ever shot a Valmet or a Galil you can appreciate how putting a rear peep site on an AK is a game changer for accuracy.  For what they are charging for the Volk, this upgrade should have been a no brainer to me.

Conclusion:

With the days of high quality $700 AKs long gone, I think that Meridian Defense is a viable option for a high end US made AK in todays market.  They appear to have their quality control where it should be and the fit / finish are superb. I didn't go for distance and just wanted to gte a feel for the rifle and it was plenty accurate hitting cans etc off hand with old surplus 7.62x39 at 50 yards.  It really was a pleasure to shoot.  I was also shooting an SR15 E3 Mod 1 at the time and the Volk do not feel out classed.

Certainly not for everyone, but if you are choosing between a $3K Russian, Chinese or Bulgarian gun (or another high end / expensive AK option) and one of these, I think the Volk deserves a look.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 9:07:57 AM EDT
[#1]
man, I was gonna rib ya for no pics until I got to the end...there's a sticky somewhere about posting pics. If you have imgur or something like that you can IM me a link

Good write up. Thanks for taking the time.

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 11:10:39 AM EDT
[#2]
These kinds of rifles aren't generally my cup of tea but there is a market for them and I'm glad guys like you take the time to do write ups on them. Good point on the price comparison, these days boutique AKs aren't as expensive as they used to be, relatively speaking

Like Nictra said if you have a hosting service it's pretty easy to put photos here, which we really do need for a review like this

Link Posted: 7/10/2021 5:37:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Ah makes sense, so what is the go to these days for image hosting online?
Link Posted: 7/10/2021 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the review.

I was on the fence myself a year ago about buying a Rifle Dynamics or Meridian Defense AK. Instead I went with a Gen 1 Galil ACE rifle and pistol (SBR) in 7.62x39. Thus far, I am completely satisfied with my decision.

The factors that steered me to the IWI Galil ACE were:

1. CHF chrome lined barrels
2. Spare parts availability
3. Proven company with a good track record who for now will support the platform.

I find the trigger to be near that of the ALG on my Polish parts kit build done by a very well known gun smith. I actually like the ACE factory stock on the gen 1’s.

I run both with KNS pistons and they are awesome suppressed thanks to the rubber gasket around the recoil spring latch.

Perhaps some day I’ll get an itch to buy a Volk or the like, but I have too many other projects going on right now. I next need to pick up a Zastava M70 while I can you know….
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 12:22:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:54:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Pic added.  Thank you for all who helped with that.

Re: the Galil ACE -  they look cool and have mostly positive feedback but IDK - I like the original Galil (my desert island gun would probably be a Galil ARM 16" AA import) - but for the ACE I think I would want it in 5.45 but seems proprietary to me.  The Volk is still mostly a regular AK.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 12:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Rifle looks awesome. I placed an order with them about a month ago for MDC-47. Not as nice as your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I’ve been emailing them back and forth.  

It seems like all their rifles have the same receiver and same nitrided 14.5 barrel.  Personally I think the receiver and barrel are great, no problems.  What differs is the furniture.  Is that correct?

I like Meridian because it comes from them ready to be suppressed.

1.   They give you the option of popular suppressor mounts, pin welded.  
2.   KNS piston
3.   New USA nitrided barrels, so concentricity is perfect.  

Anyone know about the barrel and receiver being used across their entire line up?
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:16:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I looked for a long time too before going with them.  Glad I did.  I guess I am not sure what you are asking.  They have some guns which come with a stamped received and some that come with the Sharps Milled.  Honestly the milled receiver is the reason I went with them if I had to choose one feature.  Built like a tank just like my IMI Galil.  

Which guns are you looking at?  Last I looked they went from 40 week lead time to out of stock?
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top