Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/30/2021 7:38:18 PM EDT
I have a PSA GF3 AK-47 with the MagPul Moe furniture. I wanted to know what my options were to mount a flashlight to the hand guard?

I will be using a Streamlight ProTac Rail Mount HL-X . I believe I have some M-lock rail sections. I think they came with some of the Streamlight ProTac's that I mounted to a few of my bullpup rifles. I am just wondering how I go about mounting them to the MOE hand guard.

Is there a better option to mount a light on an AK?

Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 7:44:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure on the Magpul AK furniture, but IWC has great mounts and solutions for M-LOK and Magpul MOE slots:

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/myshop/product/view/category/light-mounts/
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure on the Magpul AK furniture, but IWC has great mounts and solutions for M-LOK and Magpul MOE slots:

https://www.impactweaponscomponents.com/myshop/product/view/category/light-mounts/
View Quote

Thanks. I will look at them more. They look very cool. I’m sure they will work for the AK.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 9:58:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Your gf3 should be mlok but IWC scout mount should work on both .
The one I have puts the light perfect to use the use the tail cap .Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:03:00 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the one I have on my GF3  IWC scout mount. You could put a tape switch on the hand guard as well but on my set up I prefer the simple tail cap
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This is the one I have on my GF3  IWC scout mount. You could put a tape switch on the hand guard as well but on my set up I prefer the simple tail cap
View Quote

Thank you! That is exactly what I am looking for in mounting and position. I run tape switches but I also run just the tail cap. If its on the left side I will run just a tail cap. I can hit it with my thumb.

Is there any kind of heat shield that I need to remove when I install?
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:23:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Now I think about it  you may have to remove the inner heat shield to attach the fasteners if I remember correctly but it wasn't a big deal The mount came with moe and mlok hard whare but I think I used one of the mow washers and one of the mlok nuts for clearance.  I think it had to do with shape of the handguard on the left side to make room for the sling point on the barrel.  But I got it to work and it's rock solid

Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:15:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Now I think about it  you may have to remove the inner heat shield to attach the fasteners if I remember correctly but it wasn't a big deal The mount came with moe and mlok hard whare but I think I used one of the mow washers and one of the mlok nuts for clearance.  I think it had to do with shape of the handguard on the left side to make room for the sling point on the barrel.  But I got it to work and it's rock solid

View Quote

Okay. I was thinking the heat shield has to come out but wasn’t sure. I don’t have rifle in hand yet but I do have my MOE ARs and I see the heat shield.

I guess I can use any light I want with it? Streamlight is what I will go with.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:41:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Okay. I was thinking the heat shield has to come out but wasn't sure. I don't have rifle in hand yet but I do have my MOE ARs and I see the heat shield.

I guess I can use any light I want with it? Streamlight is what I will go with.
View Quote
As long as they have the scout light foot print.   The streamlight pro tac  rail mounts I have are scout compatible once you remove the pic rail mount
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 11:47:06 PM EDT
[#9]
You can replace the heat shield once you install the mount.   The reason I had to remove the heat shield was that the IWC mount is compatible with moe and mlok .
so the large fasteners need be put on from the backside.  As with the original moe design
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:32:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Ok not as complicated a situation as I thought this is how it looks strait forward  and you will be able to reinstall the heat shield maybe you will have better luck with the hardware but I needed to cant and creat some clearance on the gas tube handguard so the gas tube would seat and lock into place Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:51:26 AM EDT
[#11]

Awesome! Thank you for posting those pics.

Did yours come with the ring for mounting? Or is that something I will need to get?
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:55:25 AM EDT
[#12]
If it's a streamlight pro tac rail mount flash light , you should be able to remove the pic rail mount and bolt the light straight to IWC mount
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:56:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Had to make a few edits as I had to pull it apart I couldn't remember exactly what I had to do to get it together
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 12:01:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Had to make a few edits as I had to pull it apart I couldn't remember exactly what I had to do to get it together
View Quote

Thanks for posting the info. I think I'm going to order one and give it a shot. I like the looks of it and its priced right too.
Link Posted: 9/3/2021 3:39:58 PM EDT
[#15]
You could run an inline Arisaka M-LOK scout mount on one said and then get a Shaffer Machining M-LOK pressure pad mount for the opposite side to activate with your thumb.

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 12:01:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You could run an inline Arisaka M-LOK scout mount on one said and then get a Shaffer Machining M-LOK pressure pad mount for the opposite side to activate with your thumb.

https://i.imgur.com/9xR1Yxo.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/sFRergI.jpg
View Quote

Thanks, I just looked that one up and I like that one as well.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top