Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2018 11:09:14 PM EDT
Hi all,

I know the RAS 47 has gotten some harsh criticisms since it’s release. I recently snagged a 10.5” pistol with magpul furniture and an SB tactical brace. I’ve also thrown on a TWS gen 3 topcover with a Trijicon MRO and ADM mount, ALG AKT trigger, surefire light on a HSP thorntail sbr mount and a Dead Air Wolverine PBS-1 suppressor. Serial is in the 0022xx range. Would post a pic but don’t know how via iPhone.

After putting a few hundred rounds through it, it’s turned out to be a pretty neat little rifle with no malfunctions. What are everyone’s current thoughts on the RAS as it sits in 2018?

I hear a lot on the cast trunnions and that it’s American made so it does not do much for the collectors / traditionalists. I don’t know how to grade bolt wear on an AK but i do see where finish is worn in spots and is slightly rough in those areas. Other than that I’ve had no complaints.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Check head spacing now, & every 1000 rounds, or so. You'll have your answer.  GARY
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 7:22:55 AM EDT
[#2]
My current opinion is that regardless of any nice accessories that may have been installed on it, I wouldn't expect a RAS47 to hold up under any real use, and I second the suggestion that you check the head space regularly.
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I can absolutely agree with that. I feel it has more wear than it should compared to my nicer AK’s. I’ll make sure to get those gauges in to check headspacing regularly.

The nice thing is about those parts is they can be swapped around as needed. Could you suggest an ak pistol on the market that would be a good sbr/braced pistol candidate?
Link Posted: 8/27/2018 10:38:16 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have any good opinions on them and anything that CAI does. So instead of turning this into a CAI bash thread, I'll just say that there are plenty of sources online where they've had issues with their CAI RAS AKs.

Quoted:
I can absolutely agree with that. I feel it has more wear than it should compared to my nicer AK’s. I’ll make sure to get those gauges in to check headspacing regularly.

The nice thing is about those parts is they can be swapped around as needed. Could you suggest an ak pistol on the market that would be a good sbr/braced pistol candidate?
View Quote
Get an Arsenal SLR104UR or SLR107UR (krinks) and spend the $300 to $400 for the stamp and barrel work to SBR it. I would even go as far as to skip the PAP M92s.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]
[b]What are everyone’s current thoughts on the RAS as it sits in 2018?
View Quote
They are garbage.
Link Posted: 8/30/2018 4:14:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Why would you spend that much in accessories for a known timebomb rifle?

A few hundred rounds is one range visit for many.
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Get some headspace gauges.
Link Posted: 9/3/2018 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#8]
You spent all that money on arguably one of the biggest pieces of shit AKs possible. Did you not research at all before that purchase?

Easy now, you are in a Technical Forum, not GD. dryflash3
Link Posted: 9/4/2018 5:09:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Will most likely crumble like Oreo cookie.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top