Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2022 10:37:35 PM EDT
There is the Kalashnikov USA brand of AKs. They're made here in the US. I noticed some of them are a bit pricey, like a Zastava ZPAP or a Polish WBP (sp?).

Where do they stand in quality compared to the Zastava and Polish ones mentioned above?

Where do they stand in quality compared to PSA? I don't think the Kalashnikov USA has a life time warranty, unlike the PSA.
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:26:15 PM EDT
[#1]
They are as close as you can get to buying a legit Russian model, newer models also feature the hammer forged barrel.

Everyone else that makes a 100 series clone is missing a lot of the smaller details(like psa using an akm bolt and carrier as opposed to the 100 series in 7.62 guns)
Link Posted: 6/30/2022 11:29:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Always go with the import. AKfiles has had several instances recently of badly QC'd KUSA guns, and they don't even use forged bolts. I have compared a KR103 next to my SGLs and there are slight but noticeable differences, like with the bolt turning rivet. Get imports while you still can, they all go away eventually. One day we'll only be able to get US made AKs and we'll look back and wish we got all the imports we could before they stopped coming in. People used to think nothing of SGLs when they cost $799, now a used one goes for damn near $3k. The KUSA will never be a real Russian AK.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:08:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Always go with the import. AKfiles has had several instances recently of badly QC'd KUSA guns, and they don't even use forged bolts. I have compared a KR103 next to my SGLs and there are slight but noticeable differences, like with the bolt turning rivet. Get imports while you still can, they all go away eventually. One day we'll only be able to get US made AKs and we'll look back and wish we got all the imports we could before they stopped coming in. People used to think nothing of SGLs when they cost $799, now a used one goes for damn near $3k. The KUSA will never be a real Russian AK.
View Quote

There aren’t any more sgls though and the only imports are akms or the weird hybrids like the zpap. The zpaps aren’t bad but they aren’t 100 series guns.  The only 100 series guns are us made, and the kusa are still the closest to the real thing.

Afaik the non forged bolt is a non issue, but I’m surprised about the rivet, but I never had an sgl to compare mine to.

If you’re not set on a 100 series gun the zpap is the best of the lot IMO, otherwise I’d still get the kusa
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 12:46:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've got a SGL-31 in 5.45.  Great gun for what it cost way back when.  The prices today are at the ludicrous level.  I recently picked up a k-USA KR-103 SFS poly side folder.  I'll reserve final judgement until I shoot it, but at first blush, it appears a very well built rifle.  The import band wagon has set sail, for all but the hard core collectors willing to spend the big bucks.  Domestic AK's are the future.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I've got a SGL-31 in 5.45.  Great gun for what it cost way back when.  The prices today are at the ludicrous level.  I recently picked up a k-USA KR-103 SFS poly side folder.  I'll reserve final judgement until I shoot it, but at first blush, it appears a very well built rifle.  The import band wagon has set sail, for all but the hard core collectors willing to spend the big bucks.  Domestic AK's are the future.
View Quote

Hopefully, the domestic AKs will keep getting better over time.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 2:42:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a feeling that Serbia will have a major issue with us come October. This isn’t general discussion, so I’ll leave the politics of Kosovo out of my post, but if you want a Zastava, now is the time to order.

That being said, US gun makers are making the stuff I really like right now, so maybe buy something from them. Decent quality and both major companies have high levels of customer care and warranty work.

Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:37:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Domestic AK's are the future.
View Quote

Exactly. It's a pretty dim future considering the poor track record of domestic AKs, so it makes no sense to get them now while quality imports with excellent track records made by military factories are still available.
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 7:38:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 12:31:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There is the Kalashnikov USA brand of AKs. They're made here in the US. I noticed some of them are a bit pricey, like a Zastava ZPAP or a Polish WBP (sp?).

Where do they stand in quality compared to the Zastava and Polish ones mentioned above?

Where do they stand in quality compared to PSA? I don't think the Kalashnikov USA has a life time warranty, unlike the PSA.
View Quote

Every quality AK will be $1000+ these days. No way around it.

Zastava and WBP are different types of AKs. Zastava are Yugo pattern and WBP are AKM pattern. The Kalashnikov USA rifles are AK-103 clones (the only AK-103 clone made in the USA). So depends on what you prefer.

Lifetime warranty is moot. You don't buy a firearm for the warranty. You buy it because it's going to shoot a projectile with an explosion. Even Glock pistols (the #1 selling pistol in the world) only has a 1 year warranty. Aimpoint optics only have a 2 year warranty (for competition or professional use) and they are well known to be the most reliable red dot on the planet. If there is a recall due to a defect then that is covered by any manufacturer regardless of warranty. So bottom line, don't let the term "lifetime warranty" sell you on anything in the firearm industry.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 6:31:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Lifetime warranty is moot. You don't buy a firearm for the warranty. You buy it because it's going to shoot a projectile with an explosion. Even Glock pistols (the #1 selling pistol in the world) only has a 1 year warranty.
View Quote

Yeah, but a Glock is like a small block Chevy. At any given gun show here, there’s at least two Glock trained armorers who short of the plastic receiver exploding can rebuild any Glock handgun with all factory parts in ten minutes. They also do any upgrade you want with factory parts. I haven’t seen that service with AK’s, or any brand of firearm anywhere. But I do understand what you were trying to say. GARY.
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Im pretty happy with my M70, its nice but its different. Sure is a pig though.

After throwing on a 3x Optic/Side Mount/Flash Light/Aluminum HG, folding hinge, magpul ctr stock, and rigging the buffer tube to have storage for a spring loaded cleaning kit..

Damn am I feeling the extra oz into lbs. Im curious about what groups Ill get with the thicker barrel.

Its like going from a pencil barrel AR to a HBAR lol

Other AKs will be light and handy/balance better imo.

Im going to try out a triangle stock next week. I guess thats the beauty of the ace system.

8 oz difference between the 2 doesnt seem like much. But it effects balance, and a WASR with a rs regulate/T1 weighs the same or close to a M70 with just irons imo.

Honestly if I can do it over, Id spend a little more for the WBP.

Customer service DOES matter during the initial purchase/break in period however. You want to get these things running for the long term, and you want to have any kinks or issues addressed asap.

Preferably not having a gun out for repair longer than a month... Or in limbo with UPS/FEDExs lowest paid goons. Ouch
Link Posted: 7/2/2022 11:52:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Every quality AK will be $1000+ these days. No way around it.

Zastava and WBP are different types of AKs. Zastava are Yugo pattern and WBP are AKM pattern. The Kalashnikov USA rifles are AK-103 clones (the only AK-103 clone made in the USA). So depends on what you prefer.

Lifetime warranty is moot. You don't buy a firearm for the warranty. You buy it because it's going to shoot a projectile with an explosion. Even Glock pistols (the #1 selling pistol in the world) only has a 1 year warranty. Aimpoint optics only have a 2 year warranty (for competition or professional use) and they are well known to be the most reliable red dot on the planet. If there is a recall due to a defect then that is covered by any manufacturer regardless of warranty. So bottom line, don't let the term "lifetime warranty" sell you on anything in the firearm industry.
View Quote
Agreed!
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 4:36:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Fellas, thanks so much for the replies.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 6:33:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish they would make an AKS-74U "Krink" clone.  Of all the popular AKs to clone to Russian specs,  I can't figure out why this hasn't been produced
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 12:41:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 2:46:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I wish they would make an AKS-74U "Krink" clone.  Of all the popular AKs to clone to Russian specs,  I can't figure out why this hasn't been produced
View Quote

I wish they were more popular. The M85 kinda scratches the itch, but only in a "Krink at home" way. Don't believe they are made in 5.45 right now.
Link Posted: 7/4/2022 3:04:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Has KUSA mentioned doing a Krink? One in .223 Rem would no doubt be a good seller. Depending on what AFT decides to do with braces.

PSA is working on a Krink according to several videos from SHOT.
View Quote

KUSA has the TDP for the saiga and tigr series of rifles and shotguns that were produced by KC. These plans did not include the AKS74U. They are not able to conduct meaningful R&D in the same way as a larger firm sadly.

PSA is a larger firm with lots of ability to conduct research and development, but lacks the TDP from a real Kalashnikov factory.

If these companies were wiser, the wealthier one would absorb the smaller one and have both abilities....
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
They are as close as you can get to buying a legit Russian model, newer models also feature the hammer forged barrel.

Everyone else that makes a 100 series clone is missing a lot of the smaller details(like psa using an akm bolt and carrier as opposed to the 100 series in 7.62 guns)
View Quote

Since when do ANY Kusa rifles have cold hammer forged barrels??
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 10:57:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Their website currently says the KR-103SFS comes with a CHF, chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:12:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

https://kalashnikov-usa.com/product/kr-103sfs-7-62x39mm-rifle-side-folding/

They started offering CHF as a higher priced model and probably because people kept on complaining about the lack of a CHF barrel.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:51:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They started offering CHF as a higher priced model and probably because people kept on complaining about the lack of a CHF barrel.
View Quote

I stand corrected, there it is for $1,500.00
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 2:59:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Picked up a KUSA KR103 SFS (with the chrome lined barrel) and I can honestly say it's made me want to use it as my primary go-to AK in 7.62x39. I only have a few hundred rounds through it, so that could change. Granted in the time that I've had it, its been a banger and a great shooter. Like a few of the other guys in here, I too am waiting for the AK105 clone from KUSA in 5.45x39. They said it may come out Q1 or Q2 of 2023. They're working on releasing another variant this year and then the AK105 next year. At least that's what I heard.
I posted something similar to this thread earlier on, but I'm holding onto a couple of my imports just in case.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:22:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

KUSA has the TDP for the saiga and tigr series of rifles and shotguns that were produced by KC. These plans did not include the AKS74U. They are not able to conduct meaningful R&D in the same way as a larger firm sadly.

PSA is a larger firm with lots of ability to conduct research and development, but lacks the TDP from a real Kalashnikov factory.

If these companies were wiser, the wealthier one would absorb the smaller one and have both abilities....
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Has KUSA mentioned doing a Krink? One in .223 Rem would no doubt be a good seller. Depending on what AFT decides to do with braces.

PSA is working on a Krink according to several videos from SHOT.

With less competition, prices would probably go up.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:52:13 PM EDT
[#24]
I trust all of my Hungarian made AKs and the Egyptian AKs.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 4:08:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What makes that worth more than double the cost of a PSA 103 side folder with fn barrel?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 12:45:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

What makes that worth more than double the cost of a PSA 103 side folder with fn barrel?
View Quote

Do you want akm with a 90 degree gas block or a true Ak 103?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:03:21 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It didn’t matter to me as it’s an American gun anyways. So ended up with the PSA for $700 after I sold the dagger.  I  suppose if it was something that mattered to me I’d have spent the 1500.  I was just curious if the kusa was a ‘better’ or more ‘quality’ gun. From what I’ve seen they’ve both had their issues at some point and in the regard of quality they seem equal. But I don’t own a kusa, so maybe someone who owns both will chime. So to anyone who owns both, Is the kusa worth more than double the comparable PSA rifle(in terms of build/parts quality etc)?
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 8:23:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Are the gas blocks really differnt designs?  

https://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-ak-103-forged-classic-side-folder-polymer-rifle.html
Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#29]

There are more differences between an akm and Ak100 besides the gas block. The psa is not a 100 series gun, it is an akm with a 74/100 series style gas block to externally look like a 100 series gun

The kusa is a true 100 series with all of the 100 series “enhancements” which really I think came down streamlining production.

Whether or not the 100 series internals are better, or “worth it” that’s up to you. But the PSA is an AKM that looks like a 103, and the kusa is basically an American 103

Link Posted: 7/8/2022 9:17:08 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

There are more differences between an akm and Ak100 besides the gas block. The psa is not a 100 series gun, it is an akm with a 74/100 series style gas block to externally look like a 100 series gun

The kusa is a true 100 series with all of the 100 series "enhancements" which really I think came down streamlining production.

Whether or not the 100 series internals are better, or "worth it" that's up to you. But the PSA is an AKM that looks like a 103, and the kusa is basically an American 103

View Quote
not quite. You guys need to go back and read Tx-Zen's write up on these comparing them to the PSA and the SAIGA's and Arsenals. He went to extensive lengths to discuss all the differences and what is and isn't. However, the KUSA is close to a 100 series.
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 11:11:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 7/13/2022 9:07:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

PSA already did that with DDI.

I'd prefer KUSA to continue making perfect clones and quality rifles than to ever sell out. Eventually KUSA will get bigger. Quality over quantity though.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 7:29:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I recently got a new KUSA KR103 rifle that never should have passed QC. They are going to fix it but it could take a month or two.
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 8:06:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Any details?  I mean come on man.  Was it as simple as a canted sight or was it a true issue?
Link Posted: 7/14/2022 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I'd prefer KUSA to continue making perfect clones and quality rifles than to ever sell out. Eventually KUSA will get bigger. Quality over quantity though.
View Quote

They are pretty comparable quality wise to PSA. Some more advanced true-to-100 series elements, but we have two companies which have relatively decent products. But to the point, when companies are big and have a lot of cash, they should consider buying out the competition.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 4:30:39 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Any details?  I mean come on man.  Was it as simple as a canted sight or was it a true issue?
View Quote

They installed a rivet but forgot to flatten it.  They also accidentally put a Komrad shotgun safety on it.  Based on those two odd QC issues I think it's best that it goes back for them to fix and look over.  Every company makes some errors but a strict QC process should have caught them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 7:59:51 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

They are pretty comparable quality wise to PSA. Some more advanced true-to-100 series elements, but we have two companies which have relatively decent products. But to the point, when companies are big and have a lot of cash, they should consider buying out the competition.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That’s what I’ve gathered. Both brands have had issues with QC, which is to be expected in an imperfect world. The only real difference is the kusa is more clone correct.

Do you own or have experience with both?  
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#38]
I have a KUSA 103 CHF side folder, an Arsenal Sam5, a PSA GF4 CHF 104, a zastava M85, a Norinco underfolder, and a circa 2001 WASR10.

My KUSA has the nicest fit, finish, action smoothness, and trigger of all of them. Rather disappointed with the Arsenal.

Haven't put the KUSA on paper at 100 to see what it's capable of accuracy wise.
Link Posted: 7/15/2022 11:30:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That’s what I’ve gathered. Both brands have had issues with QC, which is to be expected in an imperfect world. The only real difference is the kusa is more clone correct.

Do you own or have experience with both?  
View Quote

I have a KP9 from KUSA and two PSA AK's (a 104, and a 105 that just shipped last week). Pretty decent so far, and lots of companies have QC issues. Zastava comes to mind. I'll probably get a KUSA 102 clone when it comes out, but that will probably be my last AK this year. I'm sort of saving up for a new Bronco, and need to stop buying every cool thing I see.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:39:01 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 10:01:38 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have a KUSA 103 CHF side folder, an Arsenal Sam5, a PSA GF4 CHF 104, a zastava M85, a Norinco underfolder, and a circa 2001 WASR10.

My KUSA has the nicest fit, finish, action smoothness, and trigger of all of them. Rather disappointed with the Arsenal.

Haven't put the KUSA on paper at 100 to see what it's capable of accuracy wise.
View Quote

How much nicer would you say the kusa is over the PSA? Other than the action smoothness & trigger what else is better/nicer(these are both things that can wear in)?   I’ve got a PSA 103 and it’s hard to imagine a rifle having a nicer fit & finish imho. The damn thing is perfectly constructed and has run like a sewing machine in the 440rds I’ve put through it so far.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 11:55:55 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

How much nicer would you say the kusa is over the PSA? Other than the action smoothness & trigger what else is better/nicer(these are both things that can wear in)?   I’ve got a PSA 103 and it’s hard to imagine a rifle having a nicer fit & finish imho. The damn thing is perfectly constructed and has run like a sewing machine in the 440rds I’ve put through it so far.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thats been my experience as well. Both seem to be comparable. I don't think there is much difference between them, though the finish on the PSA is pretty slick.
I should mention that I've put over a thousand rounds through the KP9, and less than two mags through the 104. The 105 still isn't in my hands (though it should be at my ffl). Most AK's have a nice finish these days except some of the factories in eastern Europe that still use more traditional methods.

Quoted:

How's the 105? Any weird trunnion wear, etc?

Sitting at My FFL I believe. He hasn't even called me yet to pick it up... Hope that will happen this week, will post pics at some point.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 12:46:20 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Exactly. It's a pretty dim future considering the poor track record of domestic AKs, so it makes no sense to get them now while quality imports with excellent track records made by military factories are still available.
View Quote

I guess if you're basing that track record on the first generation US made AKs, then it looks pretty dim. The latest gen PSA AKs seem to be getting there, and KUSA is making good strides. Century is still doing, well, whatever they're doing...

On the note of import AKs; not to bash them, but they've had QC issues as well in the past. I have an Arsenal 106CR that I had to do a ton of work on in order to get it running reliably. WASRs used to be considered 'bottom of the barrel', and now they're the minimum standard of imported AK quality, canted front sights and all... An import can have some trunnion wear and people will be like "Meh, that can happen. Totally normal and fine, it'll wear in.", but as soon as a US made AK has the same wear those same people will be like "Dude, get rid of that thing it's a ticking time bomb!"
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 3:18:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

How much nicer would you say the kusa is over the PSA? Other than the action smoothness & trigger what else is better/nicer(these are both things that can wear in)?   I've got a PSA 103 and it's hard to imagine a rifle having a nicer fit & finish imho. The damn thing is perfectly constructed and has run like a sewing machine in the 440rds I've put through it so far.
View Quote

As far as actual finish of parts, receiver, the barrel, I can't really fault PSA aside from someone dremeling the brace adapter to fit and not touching the bare aluminum up in the hinge. Small issue, but a non-conformity nonetheless. The rest of the rifle is on point. Finish is pretty darn nice, gas block/front sight is straight and the front sight is basically centered between the ears. I don't see much of anything for wear aside from some mating surfaces polishing in at around 400rds now. Ejection seems to be about 15-20ft straight to the right. Much to the chagrin of the fellers shooting nest to me today

I can find any real faults with the KUSA. It does it's job smoothly and as intended as well. Ejection seems more forward than the PSA104, and maybe 15ft max.
Link Posted: 7/16/2022 4:32:53 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Kalashnikov USA builds one of the nicest domestically produced production rifles currently offered .All of that being said if you can purchase an import first you should as you never know when the gun grabbers will shut the door. We have seen this over the years with Chinese & Russian imports. Both Zastava Arms and WBP offer beautiful rifles .

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/kalashnikov-kr-103-amber-wood-rifle-kr-103aw-811777020883-4.jpg
Kalashnikov USA
View Quote

Th web store picture shows what is unknown to me by the gas tube/block--what is that?

https://atlanticfirearms.com/zastava-pap-m90-serbian-red-zr90556sr
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 2:39:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Th web store picture shows what is unknown to me by the gas tube/block--what is that?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Kalashnikov USA builds one of the nicest domestically produced production rifles currently offered .All of that being said if you can purchase an import first you should as you never know when the gun grabbers will shut the door. We have seen this over the years with Chinese & Russian imports. Both Zastava Arms and WBP offer beautiful rifles .

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/kalashnikov-kr-103-amber-wood-rifle-kr-103aw-811777020883-4.jpg
Kalashnikov USA

The gas regulator? The M90 has an adjustable gas system.
Link Posted: 7/17/2022 6:50:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Kalashnikov USA
View Quote

My brother has 3 AKs from Atlantic, one of which is a stunningly beautiful Polish rifle that they sold about 4-6 years ago. If I was in the market for an AK now, Atlantic would be where I would go first.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 8:02:42 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

The gas regulator? The M90 has an adjustable gas system.
View Quote

okie, tks
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top