User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:13:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 7:36:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Does KUSA use a forged bolt and trunion? Cool about their chf bbl but those two parts really should  be forged as well. I'm also wondering if they have the Russian tdp(s) for the 100 series and are using those specs rather than reverse engineering imports from former bloc countries which most us made aks are.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:39:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Bolts are billet from what I have read.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 9:49:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I kind of have mixed feelings about the 5.5mm pin. On the one hand it is more authentic. On the other hand it precluded the owner from using tan, green, etc AK100 furniture from K-VAR. But colored furniture is probably a minor concern to this rifle's target audience.
View Quote
It's not more authentic, it's the only authentic, for an AK103. Insert 'The Future Is Now Old Man' meme

Not dick punching you, I like the KVar furniture too, but sadly it's 4.5mm
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I kind of have mixed feelings about the 5.5mm pin. On the one hand it is more authentic. On the other hand it precluded the owner from using tan, green, etc AK100 furniture from K-VAR. But colored furniture is probably a minor concern to this rifle's target audience.
View Quote

K-Var has a solution:

https://www.k-var.com/adapter-pin-set-for-attaching-earlier-generation-4mm-russian-bulgarian-and-us-made-arsenal-inc-buttstocks
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:27:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 8:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 10:01:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does KUSA use a forged bolt and trunion? Cool about their chf bbl but those two parts really should  be forged as well. I'm also wondering if they have the Russian tdp(s) for the 100 series and are using those specs rather than reverse engineering imports from former bloc countries which most us made aks are.
View Quote

Trunion is forged. As stated above, the bolt is billet. I don't think anything is wrong with a billet bolt, but yes, forged when done correctly should be stronger.
Link Posted: 11/18/2021 7:29:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Here are a few pictures of the current 103 Rifle offerings from Kalashnikov USA and Palmetto State Armory . As far as we know the KR-103FS rifle has not started to ship out just yet. It is great to see the US AK47 rifle model offerings expanding ! Hopefully we will see growth of models and calibers in 2022 .

https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/kr-103-ak47-rifle-kalashnikov-usa-13.jpg
https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/palmetto-state-armory-ak-103-premium-forged-black-side-folder-rifle-11.jpg
https://atlanticfirearms.com/media/cache/sylius_shop_product_original/product/palmetto-state-armory-ak-103-premium-forged-black-side-folder-rifle-1.jpg
Palmetto State Armory

View Quote

I wonder when KUSA will put their in-house magazine out. I actually would probably buy the PSA ones at some point if they didn't have a gigantic logo on the side. What a huge mistake.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 5:19:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like there 4-6 weeks out on getting them out to people that ordered.
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 7:18:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 9:46:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/20/2021 11:37:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
+39.99 shipping
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
+39.99 shipping

I've noticed this as well. There is a lot wrong with that outfit. The "Inner Circle" membership scheme is really driving people away even more than the price of shipping...

Quoted:

Didn't I see somewhere that the KUSA rifles were shipping with the smooth side PSA mags?

Yes. A smaller logo would be nice.

I would doubt that very much. At least one of the companies does not think highly of the other, and I would doubt they would use each others products.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 8:27:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 9:16:53 AM EDT
[#15]
K-Var definitely has a sordid reputation, particulary for warranty work on the Arsenals but also their stupid shipping prices on small items

Link Posted: 11/21/2021 1:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
K-Var definitely has a sordid reputation, particulary for warranty work on the Arsenals but also their stupid shipping prices on small items

View Quote

Yup.. $10 Shipping for a handguard retainer lever oof lol.

Needed one asap, and damn did I pay for it.

They are good to go though.

To be fair they did send it fedex and it arrived super fast.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I can't find the post/thread now. Probably just misremembering the whole thing anyway.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I can't find the post/thread now. Probably just misremembering the whole thing anyway.

Let me know if you find it man. Always interested in this stuff, especially considering other factors.

Quoted:

There was a guy posting about the finish on his Arsenal rifle not to long ago here....

Quoted:

They are good to go though.

To be fair they did send it fedex and it arrived super fast.

I don't disagree, but in terms of reliability, USPS is top of the order. Anyway, they have shitty prices on everything, not just the shipping.
Link Posted: 11/21/2021 10:04:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
I bought one of their polymer folding stocks and it came blemished. I bitched, they issued a return label and refunded my money minus the $10 shipping charge. Cock bags of the highest magnitude.
Link Posted: 11/22/2021 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I bought one of their polymer folding stocks and it came blemished. I bitched, they issued a return label and refunded my money minus the $10 shipping charge. Cock bags of the highest magnitude.
View Quote

yea every order i have placed with them something got screwed up, and they dont give 2 shits about it when you email them.

I promise to never do business with them again.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Got a shipping email yesterday, but it kinda sounds like I bought a $1400 barrel, not a complete rifle

Quoted:

Congratulations Your KR103 SFS was born today!!!!!

It gives me great pleasure to let you know that your KR-103SFS cold hammer forged barrel has been completed and will be shipping shortly. Please be on the lookout for the follow up email that will contain your Fed Ex tracking number letting you know that it has left the building.

Please feel free to send us videos, pictures or both of you with your new baby when it arrives.

If we are allowed to use your images on our social media platforms please let us know.

Once again Congratulations!!

Happy Holidays from the Kalashnikov USA Family.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/23/2021 9:24:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 11:46:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
yea every order i have placed with them something got screwed up, and they dont give 2 shits about it when you email them.
I promise to never do business with them again.
View Quote

Years ago I ordered a Krink kit from them. It was all new parts for $400. And while everything was brand new, the bolt was definitely used. I called them, & was told that’s impossible, & they video tape all their shipments being packaged. I replied this was unacceptable, & I’m sending the used bolt back. In about a week, I received a brand new bolt from them. But it was like pulling teeth to get it. Last time a bought anything from them. And the Krink came out awesome. GARY.
Link Posted: 11/23/2021 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Buy a barrel and get a free rifle. What's wrong with that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Got a shipping email yesterday, but it kinda sounds like I bought a $1400 barrel, not a complete rifle

Buy a barrel and get a free rifle. What's wrong with that?
I'm a stickler for correct advertising
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 2:36:15 PM EDT
[#24]
@TX-Zen

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on this when she arrives.

I'm about to pull the trigger on one myself.
Link Posted: 11/24/2021 11:57:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
@TX-Zen

View Quote
I'll do my best to compare it to the PSA and the Izzy in particular, and will try to get some groups out of it

I've said this a million times but somehow I ended up with way too many 7.62x39 guns

2 PSAs, an AKM, an Izzy 103 and now this, even though I don't like the caliber. Facepalm. I don't even need these rifles at all but I do want to get some trigger time with PSA and KUSA to see what is going on with them

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 12:13:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'll do my best to compare it to the PSA and the Izzy in particular, and will try to get some groups out of it

I've said this a million times but somehow I ended up with way too many 7.62x39 guns

2 PSAs, an AKM, an Izzy 103 and now this, even though I don't like the caliber. Facepalm. I don't even need these rifles at all but I do want to get some trigger time with PSA and KUSA to see what is going on with them

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@TX-Zen

The 74 (and frankly a lot of your enthusiasm for the 100 series AKs) is what got me into the AK game in the first place.

I never thought I'd ever venture away from 5.45 AKs, but there is something cool about an AK103.

If KUSA's 103 is of the same quality as their KP9, I think I'm sold.

I really like the fact that staying as true as possible to the original is of such high importance to them.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 5:55:59 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:28:02 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

The 74 (and frankly a lot of your enthusiasm for the 100 series AKs) is what got me into the AK game in the first place.

I never thought I'd ever venture away from 5.45 AKs, but there is something cool about an AK103.

I really like the fact that staying as true as possible to the original is of such high importance to them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@TX-Zen

I appreciate the compliment (and sorry about your wallet ol friend)

Your comments are exactly why I am getting the KUSA myself

First off, the KR9 has completely blown me away in terms of fit and finish, and most suprisingly in terms of accuracy. I didn't expect much and wasn't excited about it (in fact held off for months after they came out and read no reviews) but it's easily one of the best AKs I've ever owned. The build quality on the KR-9 and their attention to the clone correct details is 100% why their 103 is so appealing

And truthfully I've softened a little bit over the years about 7.62x39, so getting the PSA and the KUSA wasn't as big of a deviation for me as it would have been 3 or 4 years ago. I never hated 7.62 but compared to 5.45 there wasn't much there for me, but nowadays I appreciate the 100 series almost as much as the 74M. Mostly I just wanted to support both companies because we're finally in the era of US based companies producing high quality domestic AKs and even though I'm happy with my own collection, I want to do my small bit to help out the bigger picture

Link Posted: 11/25/2021 9:54:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

What are your thoughts on the PSA vs KUSA in terms of value?

Sort of two different rifles for two different markets I guess. The PSA is more of an AKM with new gas block and 4.5mm stock while the KUSA is supposed to be essentially a true 103 copy. One is meant to appeal to those wanting a modern homage while the other would seem to be more of a collector gun.

But still, anything funky with your samples? Badly tilted sight parts? Dust covers that are crazy hard to get lined up or take off? Any mag fitment issues?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

2 PSAs,, an Izzy 103...

What are your thoughts on the PSA vs KUSA in terms of value?

Sort of two different rifles for two different markets I guess. The PSA is more of an AKM with new gas block and 4.5mm stock while the KUSA is supposed to be essentially a true 103 copy. One is meant to appeal to those wanting a modern homage while the other would seem to be more of a collector gun.

But still, anything funky with your samples? Badly tilted sight parts? Dust covers that are crazy hard to get lined up or take off? Any mag fitment issues?

It's too soon to say anything concrete, but I'm expecting the PSA to be the better overall value for most people that want a functioning and sweet looking AK, and an extremely accurate one. Those FN barrels are scorchingly nice and are the biggest surprise of the PSA venture by far, so for most people  I think it will be a no brainer. The less knowledge you have about clone details, and/or the more likely you are going to want to fiddle with it to be a tactical westernized shooter like Rifle Dynamics for example, the more likely you are to pick up the PSA. In fact the lack of education on the subtle details is exactly why PSA will probably dominate the 103 market. Very few people really understand what a true 103 is and the PSA is by far close enough to scratch that itch. Add in the FN barrel and lower price and I think they are going to do really well

I'm expecting the KUSA to be on par or better with the quality and accuracy of the Izzy 103, and for the details to be correct so that you can get your clone game on properly. I am curious about the accuracy already and have a feeling they will outshoot the Izzy, but I don't have any evidence of that yet, just a feeling that we're doing something better in the US than they are at Izzy (even though that sounds pretty odd). Accuracy has never been part of the assembly line process at Izzy and if the gun is in spec it's in spec and out the door it goes. That's mostly the same for us but I suspect we build on such a smaller scale over here the guns tend to have a more hand built, personal attention to detail result to the them. Except Century obviously, and there are a ton of companies that fell off and built miserable guns too, but PSA and KUSA seem to be on the hand built mindset and I think that's evident from what people are getting when they receive their rifles. That's definitely what I saw with the KR9 and my PSAs, outstanding quality out of the box

Long term I think KUSA is going to be THE go to place for people that want true copies of Russian stuff, so I think they have a strong future. No, that type of buyer isn't nearly as large as the average person that wants a cheap and reliable AK, but there are still plenty of us out there that do want more clone correct guns. I think they have correctly estimated that part of the market and are headed in the right direction. Are they big enough to go head to head with PSA? I don't think they have to go head to head tbh, they just have to be big enough to keep delivering us the cool stuff we want (SVD, PKM, AS-VAL?)

If they came out with a 74M I'd be on that like white on rice. Also, can you imagine if KUSA picked up some AK74M3 modernization kits and copied that here? This the kind of stuff I'd like to see them do, track more closely with the most modern stuff coming out of Izhmash. They'd own the high end AK market hands down but obviously it may not be cost effective to do that

But I can dream anyway
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:.....
View Quote
Well said. And with PSA gearing up for domestic production of ammo, I think the US made market is going to be big. We may never see the good ol days again, but the end times aren't here yet either.
Link Posted: 11/25/2021 11:03:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 11:48:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Does anyone know what the magazines look like?

Are they copies of real deal Russian 103 magazines?
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 12:04:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#34]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone know what the magazines look like?

Are they copies of real deal Russian 103 magazines?

PSA smooth sided look like the Russian.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18199/PSX_20211122_162538-2177934.jpg

I was referring to Kalashnikov USA's 103 - not PSA.

But those do look nice.
Link Posted: 11/26/2021 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 9:55:39 AM EDT
[#36]
I just got a shipping notice last night. My rifle is done already. I’ll post pics etc when I get it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#37]
It's really a minor annoyance, but I can't get past the finish.

It's purely aesthetic of course as I'm sure it's plenty durable, but I wish it was that typical Izhmash black - it looks more grayish than black.

I don't know why I'm bitching about the color, but it would just make it look like a million dollars.

I guess there is always cerakote.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 10:26:07 AM EDT
[#38]
That's annoying. Let me see what mine looks like when I get it
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 4:53:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:08:01 PM EDT
[#40]
At 1:39 he calls the folding stock grenade launcher recoil pad cut out a sling mounting point
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#41]
It did seem like he was getting good groups in that small segment where he was hitting steel. Props for using 1P76 Rakurs
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 7:25:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
At 1:39 he calls the folding stock grenade launcher recoil pad cut out a sling mounting point
View Quote

He's probably new to AK's.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's not. That's why it's funny.

Then again, he's also not Ian McCollum, so I don't expect that level of detail and understanding from him - MAC is really more of a collector and enthusiast - he's not somebody you go to for technical knowledge (despite the fact that his channel name is "military arms channel").
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#44]
For those of you that ordered early and were given a commercial steel magazine, be aware that KUSA just put their 103 magazines for sale live on their webpage HERE.

Quoted:

View Quote

We wish him all the best as he learns about the platform.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
For those of you that ordered early and were given a commercial steel magazine, be aware that KUSA just put their 103 magazines for sale live on their webpage HERE.
View Quote

You people have cost me some serious $$ - ordered the rifle last week and now 10 mags.....
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 10:08:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You people have cost me some serious $$ - ordered the rifle last week and now 10 mags.....
View Quote

Post a review when you get them my friend!
Link Posted: 12/2/2021 4:27:47 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Then again, he's also not Ian McCollum, so I don't expect that level of detail and understanding from him - MAC is really more of a collector and enthusiast - he's not somebody you go to for technical knowledge (despite the fact that his channel name is "military arms channel").
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's really just a giant commercial these days anyway. I quit watching his videos a long long time ago

Glad he's out there doing 2A stuff, but I don't care for him at all

Link Posted: 12/3/2021 11:01:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Rivets look good, the finish is more of a phosphate black or dark parkerizing, definitely not a dark flat black. Some
more luster than a Saiga, but frankly no big deal. Trigger is nice. Bolt looks good, chrome lining looks excellent. Smooth action. I like how the side folder locks up.

Now for the negatives, and I will probably need to ship it back Monday:

1. The front sight base threads may be out of spec. I had a hard time taking off the muzzle brake. I can’t even completely screw on the 24 mm OSS flash hider onto the FSB. Very disappointed. I will post pics later this weekend. I am too tired tonight and just picked up the rifle around 7 EST

2. Several scratches. Not that it bothers me, but my cheaper Zastava was flawless.

Will post pics tomorrow. Everything on the inside and the rivets look good. Maybe the FSB is out of spec.
Link Posted: 12/4/2021 12:41:01 AM EDT
[#49]
Update: I fixed the threads with Go-Juice and a wire brush. I think the finish was thick enough to cause issues. I am able to screw on the OSS FH now and take it off without galling.

Wife woke me up

Overall the finish is fine. Definitely not like a Saiga, but frankly I never found Saiga or Arsenal finishes to be good anyway. The rivets are PERFECT. Best I’ve seen short of a custom build. Bullet guide looks OK. The barrel has no markings (no clue who makes it, if it is CHF). Bolt looks good, bolt carrier glides easily over the rails. The muzzle brake looks like an AK-103 brake with the half moon cuts which is pretty cool. Folding stock is cool. The trigger pull is nice, probably 4.5 lbs or so. I do see a retainer plate for the trigger which is nice. The internals are nicely done for an AK.

Annoying parts: Multiple scratch marks on the barrel and near the gas block. Very strange. My Zastava was perfect. AKs are meant to take abuse, but not when they ship in a padded container. Likewise, the FSB. I can’t screw my OSS FH beyond that point without using a torque wrench. The Muzzle brake has a very difficult time getting on and off as well. Last but not least, the safety is way too loose for my tastes. Needs to be bent back to increase some tension.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/4/2021 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#50]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A scratch here and there never bothers me (had one on my SR-15 when I bought it). But these are all too frequent.
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top