AK Sponsor: palmetto
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 10/29/2021 7:16:13 PM EDT
KUSA just quietly released the KR-103sfs for sale:

https://kalashnikov-usa.com/product/kr-103sfs-7-62x39mm-rifle-side-folding/

Price is $1399.

***BigSal UPDATE***
KUSA KR-104 teased on their isntagram as well.

Insider post on reddit claims KR-101 or KR-102 to be released at SHOT in January.

More info as it appears.

Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Cold hammer forged barrel per the K USA web page. Nice!
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:30:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Cold hammer forged barrel per the K USA web page. Nice!
View Quote

Good catch RC2!
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#3]
ORDER NUMBER:133625
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ORDER NUMBER:133625
View Quote

Can we get a head to head post comparing this to the PSA-103 sometime soon?
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:05:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I want the std 103 with a CHF barrel. I will email them. I would intend to put an AR stock on it anyway, so I don’t need the side folder.

Now they need an AK-101 and AK-12/15/19
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 11:19:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I want the std 103 with a CHF barrel. I will email them. I would intend to put an AR stock on it anyway, so I don’t need the side folder.

Now they need an AK-101 and AK-12/15/19
View Quote

They don’t have the ability to do the ak12 series sadly. Their offerings will be limited to the saiga and tigr rifle patterns.

After you call them, can you let us know if they are going to offer a fixed stock with the CHF option on the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 8:01:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I might be down for a KR104 depending on cost.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:29:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 9:53:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

They don’t have the ability to do the ak12 series sadly. Their offerings will be limited to the saiga and tigr rifle patterns.

After you call them, can you let us know if they are going to offer a fixed stock with the CHF option on the barrel?
View Quote

I sent them an email. Will try to call Monday.

I sat on the concept of buying a Saiga for over 19 years. I screwed myself not spending $350 on one. This is my chance for redemption, and OSS makes 24 mm FH’s for their FSB.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 1:30:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The pistol version is rumored to be $1299. We will likely know more soon.

Quoted:
FML! Anyone want to buy a new-in-box KR-103FT?

If you take a haircut on it, I am sure you could sell it. Its not like there are a shortage of AK buyers right now.

Quoted:

I sent them an email. Will try to call Monday.

I sat on the concept of buying a Saiga for over 19 years. I screwed myself not spending $350 on one. This is my chance for redemption, and OSS makes 24 mm FH’s for their FSB.

With Russian stuff, I wish I had bought more myself. Sadly, we all had a normalcy bias and none of us could have foreseen the sanctions put in place as a result of the liberation of Crimea and the support for the legitimate sovereignty of the Donbas. In any case, this is not general discussion, so I will keep politics out of this.

Let us know what they say after you hear back man!
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Kinda sorta joking.  I don't even have a KR-103 yet.  

I guess it all depends on price of one over the other.  My idea is to gut an AK-103 and add some Zenitco stuff to include the stock.  Do I even need the folder and little retainer hook in this case?  Authenticity-wise I suppose so.  But shooting-wise I don't think so.
View Quote

They have lots of adapters. You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I guess it all depends on price of one over the other.  My idea is to gut an AK-103 and add some Zenitco stuff to include the stock.  Do I even need the folder and little retainer hook in this case?  Authenticity-wise I suppose so.  But shooting-wise I don't think so.
View Quote

You know, I wonder if KUSA could take one of their KR-103 assemblies and install the Zenitco system for you. Might be worth asking.

I was tempted to buy an AK-103 assembly from PSA for that exact purpose. Would be even cooler if someone came out with an AK-74M assembly or AK-101 assembly just for the Zenitco system.
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:43:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 3:45:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

With Russian stuff, I wish I had bought more myself. Sadly, we all had a normalcy bias and none of us could have foreseen the sanctions put in place as a result of the liberation of Crimea and the support for the legitimate sovereignty of the Donbas. In any case, this is not general discussion, so I will keep politics out of this.

Let us know what they say after you hear back man!
View Quote

Most Americans have no darn clue about the Crimean War of 1853-56: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimean_War#Crimean_campaign

If Russia was a clone of Switzerland with free press, freely elected accountable leaders, they still would have invaded and taken back Crimea from a NATO-backed Ukraine. It would be like the US ceding southern California and the port of Long Beach to Mexico. Even Gavin Newsom would fight back.

Yes, I will call them Monday. I'm off work hopefully. I sent them an email as well.

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#16]
… having a CHF barrel would be nice…
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 8:35:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
… having a CHF barrel would be nice…
View Quote

You're in luck, it has one.

https://kalashnikov-usa.com/product/kr-103sfs-7-62x39mm-rifle-side-folding/
Link Posted: 10/30/2021 10:30:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You know, I wonder if KUSA could take one of their KR-103 assemblies and install the Zenitco system for you. Might be worth asking.

I was tempted to buy an AK-103 assembly from PSA for that exact purpose. Would be even cooler if someone came out with an AK-74M assembly or AK-101 assembly just for the Zenitco system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because you mentioned AK74M you might already know this but for anyone else reading I think it bears mentioning that the various evolutions of AK74s are different and the Bulgarians never modernized like the Russians did

The PSA AK103 is based on the Bulgarian pattern early 80s AK74 receiver, but ZenitCo is based on modern Russian receivers which have changed and evolved since the early 80s

The Russian AK103 is considerably different than the older Russian AK74 pattern rifle even though costmetically it is difficult for most of us to tell them apart. What that means is that ZenitCo gear may not fit the older style receivers nearly as well as the modern AK103 style, and people have had issues with fitting because of that. From what I have seen most people need to modify their ZenitCo rails to fit Bulgarian/early Russian pattern guns

Link Posted: 10/30/2021 11:17:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Because you mentioned AK74M you might already know this but for anyone else reading I think it bears mentioning that the various evolutions of AK74s are different and the Bulgarians never modernized like the Russians did

The PSA AK103 is based on the Bulgarian pattern early 80s AK74 receiver, but ZenitCo is based on modern Russian receivers which have changed and evolved since the early 80s

The Russian AK103 is considerably different than the older Russian AK74 pattern rifle even though costmetically it is difficult for most of us to tell them apart. What that means is that ZenitCo gear may not fit the older style receivers nearly as well as the modern AK103 style, and people have had issues with fitting because of that. From what I have seen most people need to modify their ZenitCo rails to fit Bulgarian/early Russian pattern guns

View Quote

I knew that the Russians have made modifications relative to the Bulgarians, but I am not that familiar with Zenitco products.

$3000? Yikes, that’s rifle dynamics/Meridian Defense territory.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 12:28:49 AM EDT
[#20]
On an interesting note, did anyone see the KUSA branded ammo from their Instagram video? KUSA  AMMO
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Still not a forged bolt? No thanks
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 1:31:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
On an interesting note, did anyone see the KUSA branded ammo from their Instagram video? KUSA  AMMO
View Quote

Honestly, it is likely rebranded ammo as they don’t make their own. Sadly, KUSA rebrands all kind of stuff. I recommend not throwing your logo on anything you don’t make… especially cheap Chinese optics and such.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:54:13 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 8:59:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Plan B would be to find an AK12 top cover, trunnion and stock and have these added into the KR103.
View Quote

Won't work. AK-12 uses a proprietary hinge block that's welded to the front trunnion and integrates the piston guide tube.
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 11:05:37 PM EDT
[#27]
At this time we will not be offering a fixed stock version of the CHF 103. Only a fixed stock 103 with chrome line button rifled barrel and a folder with chf folder..
View Quote

This was the answer I just got from their rep. I followed this up with some questions regarding the CHF barrel and AK101/102 variants. Will let you know what else I find out
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 1:47:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This was the answer I just got from their rep. I followed this up with some questions regarding the CHF barrel and AK101/102 variants. Will let you know what else I find out
View Quote

Solid reply. I wonder if the 104 pistol will be CHF/CL or similar to PSA’s 104.

I also wonder if they are sourcing barrels from the same place.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:42:28 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Solid reply. I wonder if the 104 pistol will be CHF/CL or similar to PSA’s 104.

I also wonder if they are sourcing barrels from the same place.
View Quote

I asked them specifically in my follow up questions if they are using FN or making them in-house. With DD, FN, Geissele now making CHF AR barrels, it would not be a stretch to see K-USA using one of those companies as a source. I have no clue how much it would cost to obtain and use hammer forging equipment, but it would probably cost a fortune for a small company to start up themselves without some sort of military contract.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 11:35:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I asked them specifically in my follow up questions if they are using FN or making them in-house. With DD, FN, Geissele now making CHF AR barrels, it would not be a stretch to see K-USA using one of those companies as a source. I have no clue how much it would cost to obtain and use hammer forging equipment, but it would probably cost a fortune for a small company to start up themselves without some sort of military contract.
View Quote

Thanks for asking them. Hopefully they will answer.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 2:23:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote
I would laugh if they're getting PSA made CHF barrels. Not that they're bad, but the irony.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 2:26:33 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I would laugh if they're getting PSA made CHF barrels. Not that they're bad, but the irony.
View Quote

The FN CHF AK barrel is exclusive to PSA.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 2:29:16 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The FN CHF AK barrel is exclusive to PSA.
View Quote
Yeah, I meant the GF4 barrels.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 4:39:33 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah, I meant the GF4 barrels.
View Quote

Gotcha
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 6:52:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I knew that the Russians have made modifications relative to the Bulgarians, but I am not that familiar with Zenitco products.

$3000? Yikes, that's rifle dynamics/Meridian Defense territory.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

$3000? Yikes, that's rifle dynamics/Meridian Defense territory.
What is the $3000 for, and what is the comparison with RD/MD?

Zenitco is sort of the like the Larue of Russia. They make high quality gear tailored for special operations units and it's almost all based on the most modern receiver patterns like the AK74M, Vityaz, RPK and others, because thats what Russia currently issues. I don't think anyone makes better chassis rails systems for the AK than ZenitCo does. I've handled a lot of stuff from a lot of countries but ZenitCo is really tough to beat overall, though you pay for it with some level of extra weight and in dollars because it's not cheap

Russia continually modernized their rifles and their tooling, Bulgaria still uses the original early 80s tooling that Russia setup during the cold war. That's the main difference for why ZenitCo doesn't always fit Bulgarian pattern guns properly. Few people in Russia use older rifles like that so they didn't bother to make rails for them

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 7:26:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Zenitco is sort of the like the Larue of Russia. They make high quality gear tailored for special operations units and it's almost all based on the most modern receiver patterns like the AK74M, Vityaz, RPK and others, because thats what Russia currently issues. I don't think anyone makes better chassis rails systems for the AK than ZenitCo does. I've handled a lot of stuff from a lot of countries but ZenitCo is really tough to beat overall, though you pay for it with some level of extra weight and in dollars because it's not cheap

Russia continually modernized their rifles and their tooling, Bulgaria still uses the original early 80s tooling that Russia setup during the cold war. That's the main difference for why ZenitCo doesn't always fit Bulgarian pattern guns properly. Few people in Russia use older rifles like that so they didn't bother to make rails for them

View Quote

I agree with everything you say. It’s just still an AK-103. If it wasn’t for the embargo and import laws, we could still probably get Saigas for $400-600 or less. Paying $3000 for an AK-103 is tough to swallow when. you can buy a Sig 553 in 7.62x39, Galil ACE, or a SCAR for that matter.

Still waiting to hear back from K-USA. Regardless, I have my name on the email list for a side folder. I still want to know who is making their CHF barrels.
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I agree with everything you say. It's just still an AK-103. If it wasn't for the embargo and import laws, we could still probably get Saigas for $400-600 or less. Paying $3000 for an AK-103 is tough to swallow when. you can buy a Sig 553 in 7.62x39, Galil ACE, or a SCAR for that matter.

Still waiting to hear back from K-USA. Regardless, I have my name on the email list for a side folder. I still want to know who is making their CHF barrels.
View Quote
Who is paying $3K for an AK-103? You wouldn't be getting saigas for $400 when Yugo stuff is selling for $1K. LOL...
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 8:20:44 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:23:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I agree with everything you say. It's just still an AK-103. If it wasn't for the embargo and import laws, we could still probably get Saigas for $400-600 or less. Paying $3000 for an AK-103 is tough to swallow when. you can buy a Sig 553 in 7.62x39, Galil ACE, or a SCAR for that matter.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's not apples to apples though, this is really a collector market situation not a which is a more effective rifle situation, and people want what they want. A real Russian AK103 pattern rifle may or may not function as well as a Sig or whatever, but that's never been the point. It's Russian. Some collectors want that and that's all the price is based on

KUSA sold out pretty quick didn't they? It was like a few hours

Link Posted: 11/3/2021 10:24:39 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I believe the $3000 refers to the link I posted above. A tricked out KR-103 with Zenitco accessories, an ALG trigger, an optic and ??

Pretty pricey for sure. But the rifle is $1100ish. Add another Grand or so for the Zenitco stuff and another $100 or so for the ALG trigger. Throw in the price of whatever the optic is and a few bucks they're going to add for labor and maybe a little fluff and buff and you're probably knocking on the $3000 sticker price.

Edit--looking over their parts list it doesn't look like the little optic is part of the deal.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Who is paying $3K for an AK-103? You wouldn't be getting saigas for $400 when Yugo stuff is selling for $1K. LOL...

I believe the $3000 refers to the link I posted above. A tricked out KR-103 with Zenitco accessories, an ALG trigger, an optic and ??

Pretty pricey for sure. But the rifle is $1100ish. Add another Grand or so for the Zenitco stuff and another $100 or so for the ALG trigger. Throw in the price of whatever the optic is and a few bucks they're going to add for labor and maybe a little fluff and buff and you're probably knocking on the $3000 sticker price.

Edit--looking over their parts list it doesn't look like the little optic is part of the deal.

Ahh ok

For better or worse those are the market prices these days, as sucky as they may be
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 8:51:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/12/2021 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Shows available for purchase on the KUSA website.

Oops. Edit to say I scrolled down and saw this:

THESE GUNS ARE BUILT TO ORDER:
LEAD TIME IS 4-6 WEEKS:
PREVIOUS ORDERS ARE CURRENTLY SHIPPING:
View Quote
That would explain why I haven't received a shipping notification
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 2:13:36 AM EDT
[#43]
I went ahead and ordered one.

The rep I spoke to said they could not divulge their source, but they are CHF barrels. I hope I get mine in time for Christmas and that they make spare bolts available. My plan will be to add Zenitco hardware and a 24x1.5 RH OSS flash hider to run it suppressed. A  J Macs M4 stock adapter would be useful as well.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 9:51:54 AM EDT
[#44]
That will be pretty pimp

eta

I'll say that the AK74M3 upgrade stock is pretty awesome. You might consider that. There are two versions, I believe mine is the older one

Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:25:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:44:32 AM EDT
[#46]
It does drop in yes, but has a couple extra parts since it can't lach flush against the receiver like the original stocks do. It's easy to assemble and slap on there

The sling is from SRVV / Survival Corps, I think maybe it was a padded 3 point RPK sling. I took it apart and used 550 cord for the loops to make it quiet for hunting
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
That will be pretty pimp

eta

I'll say that the AK74M3 upgrade stock is pretty awesome. You might consider that. There are two versions, I believe mine is the older one

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/73202/20210804_182714-2040602.jpg
View Quote

How would I go about purchasing the stock with the adapter for it? How does it install, etc? I’m buying the folding stock version of the AK-103, so I assume it should drop in OK?

I hope the heck KUSA does the AK-101 pattern rifle appropriately, because I want one of those as well. I held off buying a SAM-5 to wait for a stamped 5.56 NATO rifle to save weight.
Link Posted: 11/13/2021 10:51:04 AM EDT
[#48]
You know, another thing would be to do an AK-102/104 with a 14.5” barrel we could pin/weld a muzzle device in place just like Rifle Dynamics. Would be nice to avoid another stamp.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#49]
I've been waiting for this day - omg.

100 series AKs are the sexiest rifles ever.

And it looks like KUSA (just like with the KP-9) really stayed true to form, including the 5.5mm hinge pin.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 8:07:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top