Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2020 3:59:59 PM EDT
The man himself.  $99 parts kits..Fuck me I was too young back the to really understand the gun world.

Jim Fuller talks about his favorite AK setups
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:09:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Good vid.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Guy has something going on that he alluded to in the vid since he sold RD.  Almost cried at the thought of $99 Romanian kits with barrel back in in the days.  Never see that again.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Guy has something going on that he alluded to in the vid since he sold RD.  Almost cried at the thought of $99 Romanian kits with barrel back in in the days.  Never see that again.
View Quote
Yep, I've had a RD503 on my radar for a while and wonder if I should wait, although in this political climate, I don't want to wait.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 6:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Killer video.

Why the resurgence on 5.45 lately from all the houses? "It's dead Jim"....that's what everyone said and I cashed out when the 7n6 ban happened - worst mistake ever.

Good to see the 105 love out there

I'd love to see where Jim goes and his reference on "forged US parts", makes me wonder if its KUSA he's getting involved with.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Killer video.

Why the resurgence on 5.45 lately from all the houses? "It's dead Jim"....that's what everyone said and I cashed out when the 7n6 ban happened - worst mistake ever.

I'd love to see where Jim goes and his reference on "forged US parts", makes me wonder if its KUSA he's getting involved with.
View Quote
Would be awesome if he is.  Guess we will see.  Wonder if we will see a surge in "Spetsnaz" clones.  GT's AK looks BA
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 9:40:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Would be awesome if he is.  Guess we will see.  Wonder if we will see a surge in "Spetsnaz" clones.  GT's AK looks BA
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Killer video.

I'm not going to lie, just ordered a Zenitco B30U lower rail

Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:13:40 PM EDT
[#7]
He sold RD? I been thinking about finally getting one but I'm not sure now lol I'm sure they are still top notch but I want a jim fuller AK
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 10:43:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
He sold RD? I been thinking about finally getting one but I'm not sure now lol I'm sure they are still top notch but I want a jim fuller AK
View Quote
Yeah he sold it sometime last year.  Guess he wanted to move on to bigger opportunities.  Is the AK GT is holding a modified 105?  I'm am getting an itch looking at the AK he is holding.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:25:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Iirc some kits were even less.

I remember around 2004-2005 I just got my first SKS and wanted to get an AK. I knew nothing about them so I just started searching online. I ended up on a page with parts kits - maybe Sarco? Romy kits around $50 or so with barrel, before the ban.

I remember coming away from that thinking that AKs could only be obtained by building them myself. I said fuck that and closed the browser. Didn't come back around to AKs until around the time parts kits started drying up, 2010-2011. Still missed out on some cool kits even then.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:22:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm still trying to get a good understanding of the AK realm seeing as I have been in the AR game for so long.  I have a Romanian underfolder that I don't really do much with.

I really like the look and function of the AK Garand was holding and shot at the beginning of the video.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 10:30:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I wonder if he's going with either Kusa or PSA since he alluded to US forged parts. Would be even more amazing if it's a third company starting to make forged parts.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'm still trying to get a good understanding of the AK realm seeing as I have been in the AR game for so long.  I have a Romanian underfolder that I don't really do much with.

I really like the look and function of the AK Garand was holding and shot at the beginning of the video.
View Quote
If you haven't tasted the 5.45 good life you are missing out - IMO best round for the platform.

At the HTF shoots the AK's I take have been eye openers for folks:

1.) They get to shoot properly zero'd rifles and/or with optics
2.) They get to shoot 5.45 rifles
3.) They hit what they are aiming at out to 500y (steel ipsc targets)

I was more shocked at how many folks rolled up with very very nice kit and are experienced shooters - but ZERO AK time. Do my best to show others the way when I can.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I watched it last night.  I think Fuller being more involved will only benefit ak shooters in the US.  I thought when he sold his business he might retire.  I will try to stay with 7.62 as long as I can not wanting to catch the 5.45 bug.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 3:28:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the vid.  I need to finish up a bunch of projects or find someone to build them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 6:00:30 PM EDT
[#15]
dang it, i want to know what he is going to do next!
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a Bulgy krink kit, 2 Tula krink kits, and 2 M92 krink kits.  Haven't quite figured out what to do with them though.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 8:43:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Laughed at the parts kit prices. I remember well. I had three Romy G kits for $99 each, and two Bulgy -74 kits for either $199 or $299. All new. They came with the FA FCG that I was able to dump at a gun show for $25 each.

Seriously regret selling them.
Link Posted: 2/5/2020 9:45:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you haven't tasted the 5.45 good life you are missing out - IMO best round for the platform.

At the HTF shoots the AK's I take have been eye openers for folks:

1.) They get to shoot properly zero'd rifles and/or with optics
2.) They get to shoot 5.45 rifles
3.) They hit what they are aiming at out to 500y (steel ipsc targets)

I was more shocked at how many folks rolled up with very very nice kit and are experienced shooters - but ZERO AK time. Do my best to show others the way when I can.
View Quote
Or they just sneer and say they'll never shoot one of those things

Have had it happen at the range, never been to an HTF shoot though since the WA HTF seems to have died

The AK carries some baggage for some people and they simply refuse to touch one. Sometimes they got shot at by them. Sometimes they're just stuck up gun snobs
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 5:43:44 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't had a AK in years I'm debating a arsenal or RD and getting a RD base model to hold me over the 6 month wait but the might do.
Link Posted: 2/6/2020 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
He sold in early 2017 though he stayed on with RD until now I guess.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 12:47:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I remember $30 AMD-65 kits.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 5:43:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think I misunderstood the 7n6 ban at the time (being an AK novice) and thought it applied to all 5.45 ammo, so I assumed the caliber was going to slowly die off, and I haven't paid much attention to it until now. I"m definitely interested in learning more about it now that more rifle options are on the horizon.

It seems like a few more surplus magazines are showing up on the market, but they're pretty expensive these days. It would be nice to see Magpul produce an M3 version of theirs with steel inserts, to at least have another U.S. option, but it also looks like KUSA plans to produce their own magazines, which could be a good alternative to the Russian style polymer magazines (probably expensive though).

I was at a show in PA a few weeks ago where a guy was selling Romanian or Bulgarian kits (I forget which) with barrels for $350 each that were pretty well used. I wish I had been interested in AKs back when they were $100 new.
Link Posted: 2/7/2020 10:00:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think I misunderstood the 7n6 ban at the time (being an AK novice) and thought it applied to all 5.45 ammo, so I assumed the caliber was going to slowly die off, and I haven't paid much attention to it until now. I"m definitely interested in learning more about it now that more rifle options are on the horizon.

It seems like a few more surplus magazines are showing up on the market, but they're pretty expensive these days. It would be nice to see Magpul produce an M3 version of theirs with steel inserts, to at least have another U.S. option, but it also looks like KUSA plans to produce their own magazines, which could be a good alternative to the Russian style polymer magazines (probably expensive though).

I was at a show in PA a few weeks ago where a guy was selling Romanian or Bulgarian kits (I forget which) with barrels for $350 each that were pretty well used. I wish I had been interested in AKs back when they were $100 new.
View Quote
We all say that, even when you buy something you know will go up in price you say " i should have bought more. The thing is this, the gun market is always gonna go up. Even buying in today in 10 years you will hear people say they should have bought in today. ?????. I say if u have the cash flow buy what you can and dont worry about missing when it was cheap. One day, todays price will be cheap.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 2:49:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
dang it, i want to know what he is going to do next!
View Quote
Based on the things he’s said, I’m guessing he’s going to be working with Travis Haley and HSP going forward.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Based on the things he’s said, I’m guessing he’s going to be working with Travis Haley and HSP going forward.
View Quote
Unless it's smaller custom stuff wouldn't they need a big manufacturer to back em? Then again we have no idea at all but that's a nice team up in any case.
Link Posted: 2/17/2020 12:17:55 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
We all say that, even when you buy something you know will go up in price you say " i should have bought more. The thing is this, the gun market is always gonna go up. Even buying in today in 10 years you will hear people say they should have bought in today. ?????. I say if u have the cash flow buy what you can and dont worry about missing when it was cheap. One day, todays price will be cheap.
View Quote
I definitely get that, but I'm just not comfortable dropping $350 on a well-used kit when I couldn't tell the difference between a Bulgarian, Romanian, Polish, or Russian AK. I need to do a lot more reading to learn about the variants, identifying characteristics, and how to judge condition (normal vs. extreme wear on what parts in an AK) before I start buying old surplus parts.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top