Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/29/2020 11:21:23 PM EDT
I just picked up a like-new PSA AK GF3 with the PMag that came with it.  It had "less than 50 rounds" through it, according to the seller.  It looks like it wasn't even shot, when looking at the grease still on the bolt carrier.  Anyway, the Pmag Gen M2 that came with it fits perfectly, nice and tight.  I bought another Pmag today, although the packaging was older and I don't think it said Gen M2.  I also picked up a sand (white) Gen M3 Pmag.

The older regular Pmag fit, but it was SUPER tight and it needed some persuasion to get it to lock.  The Gen M3 mag wouldn't lock in the first 7 or 8 tries.  I kept wiping it, tried to really push it in there, and it would barely lock with the release not setting fully in the lock position.  I wiped down the rear metal lug on the Gen M3 and ultimately put some gun oil on it.  It now goes in and locks, but again with lots of persuasion.

I'm guessing the tolerances on the gun are just tight and that it will loosen up a little as it breaks-in and the mags, including the Gen M3 will go in just fine.  Am I right to expect that, or are is Magpul having a QC issue with too much variance from mag to mag?

I've got another black Gen M3 coming this week, so I'll see how it does.  In the meantime, I'll keep inserting the mags I've got, in the hope of it loosening up slightly.  If it doesn't, I may ever so slightly file the metal lug on the Gen M3 until it positively and easily locks in every time.

Btw, I haven't shot the gun yet.  Maybe tomorrow.  Can't wait!
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Update!  I took the PSA to the range today and all the mags now fit just fine. The Gen M3 is now working beautifully, even if still pretty tight. I'm fine with that.  Looks like the gun or mags, or both needed a little break-in.

The AK, btw, was awesome.  I was right on an 8.5" x 11" paper target with iron sights at 100 yards in very windy conditions.  For my 51 year old eyes, I think that's VERY good.  I'm totally in love with this gun.  My son and I put about 120 rounds through it today and it was consistent no matter which ammo we used.  We had 124 grain Wolf hollow points with polymer coating, Wolf 122 grain fmj with laquer coating, and Tula 122g hollow points with what appears to be polymer coating.  It ate them all and shot about the same with each. If I had to guess, I'd say the Tula had slightly higher groups, but our shooting position and holds were inconsistent enough that it is probably worthless data.  The bottom line is that we would have easily killed a bunch of hogs at 100 yards with this gun the way we were shooting, so I'm pretty happy.

Love the AK, and love the PSA.  I enjoyed the 7.62x39, as well.  This was my first real experience with it beyond 8 or 10 rounds out of a buddy's SKS a couple years ago.

Looks like we'll be having a lot of fun with this PSA in the coming years! My boy (16 yo) was LOVING it!
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 7:16:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 8:52:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Welcome to the dark side.
View Quote
Lol, it may be dirty, but it sure is fun!
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 12:14:19 PM EDT
[#4]
My GF3 needed a little break in for some mags to fit. I dont know the correct terminology for AKs but I think it's the pin/bar that the rear of the mag contacts when inserted had too thick of a coating.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 10:29:26 AM EDT
[#5]
A co-worker recently bought a PSA AK. He said the p-mag that came with it works fine but he bought a couple of the p-mags with metal attachment points. The one with the metal won’t fit into his AK. He is concerned about it and asked me to bring some non p-mag magazines in for him to check to see how they fit. He said he may send the gun back in if other mags don’t fit.
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#6]
I bought another metal tab Pmag G3 and it was the same way.  After inserting it a few times, it now snaps in.  I think the tabs are just slightly large on the Pmags, so they need to be worked in.  All of mine work now.  I did buy a couple Korean mags, including a 30 and a 40 rounder.  Both snap right in, just fine.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 11:13:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought a few GEN 3 AK Pmags and I they are really tight on my WASR-10. I just put them in and release them like 10 times and then they are good to go. The magazine included with my WASR-10 was a generation one with all plastic.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an AK-E serial # 409.

Gen 3 Pmags will NOT fit.  I was super disappointed.

Anyone in here with a gen 3 pmag and a PSA AK, can you tell me what the date code was/is on your m3's?

Mine are marked 2016 so im wondering perhaps if a newer production magazine will fit better?  I doubt it but who knows.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top