Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2020 2:56:23 PM EDT
Customer came in Saturday with a Maadi AK missing the bolt carrier and bolt. Never really messed with one when it comes to working on them. What do I need to know about headspacing them, and where is my best bet for finding the parts?

Thanks for any info/help y'all can offer.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 9:42:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Sourcing a replacement AKM bolt carrier / gas piston unit and bolt won’t be too hard.  Serviceable surplus is still findable (7.62x39 Romanian, Hungarian, Polish etc would all work), and new, unused parts can be had for about $200 give or take.  Unless the replacement bolt happens to headspace correctly, and it probably won’t, you will have to reset the barrel.  Headspacing an AKM like a Maadi means pressing out the barrel pin, pressing the barrel in or out until the headspace is right, then reaming or redrilling the barrel pin channel through the front trunnion hole and pressing a barrel pin back in.  This may mean drilling for and sourcing an oversized barrel pin to account for the barrel’s new position in the trunnion.  There are many threads over on theakforum and akfiles and youtube videos about how to headspace AKs and the tools involved.  Full disclosure - I’m an AK build rookie having only done 3 so far, and I personally wouldn’t be thrilled about doing this on someone else’s rifle as a first AK job.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 12:54:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info. Anyone have any idea of the likelihood of a random bolt head-spacing properly. I'm not working on the gun, just helping the customer find parts. I was afraid the head-spacing was going to be a bit of a pain in the ass, probably more hassle than it is worth.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top