Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2017 11:14:44 PM EDT
Converted and modified to take the AR 15 magazine.  The modification block is removed like a magazine and then you can put a magazine in there.  I bought some expensive 74 magazines to put in there but it will not load the ammo from them and out $50 now on 2 magazines.  Does anyone know if the new Magpul 74 magazines will work or what kind of magazines will work besides the AR magazines?  Magpul works fine.
Also are these worth much now?
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:36:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Two problems.  First, 74 mags won't work (or won't work well) because they are designed around a completely different cartridge with a much different taper and length.  Second, the saigas were missing a bullet guide from the factory.  You needed to buy and install that guide to work with the 47, 74, and Galil magazines.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 8:14:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I has Galil magazines but wanted comparability with my ARs so I had a gunsmith install the AR magazine adapter and it works great no problem.  Galil magazines don't work anymore though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 9:31:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I has Galil magazines but wanted comparability with my ARs so I had a gunsmith install the AR magazine adapter and it works great no problem.  Galil magazines don't work anymore though.
View Quote
AK's typically won't work with AK mags anymore once they're converted to AR mag adapters. The front trunnion typically needs to be machined to make the AR mags work, so you're stuck with it unless you replace the front trunnion altogether.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:46:28 PM EDT
[#4]
A friend let me borrow one of his 74 magazines and rifle cycled great no problem.  Trying to get him to trade for a circle 10 but he said he went through a lot of magazines to get some that works in both of his 74.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 6:17:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A friend let me borrow one of his 74 magazines and rifle cycled great no problem.  Trying to get him to trade for a circle 10 but he said he went through a lot of magazines to get some that works in both of his 74.
View Quote
Interesting. What kind of mag adapter do you have? Pics?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a converted Saiga .223 that has no bullet guide, I run the SGM Tactical mags that have the 'lip' in lieu of a guide. Maybe one of those would work?

I'd be surprised if a 74 mag full of .223 would function properly, as mentioned above a 5.45x39 round has quite a bit of taper compared to a .223 round. Not saying a few rounds wouldn't function, when I built my first 7.62x39 AR I could get 4 rounds of 7.62x39 to feed from a 5.56 AR mag but any more would choke.

Posting a pic of your trunnion might help.
Page AK-47 » Russian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top