Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2018 1:31:09 PM EDT
Are these worth picking up? I’m not necessarily looking for a go to war AK, but I would like for it to last. I haven’t had an AK since my teenage days but would like to get back into them.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are referring to the kit builds currently being sold by classic and other places, the concern is with the barrel. The US made barrel is reportedly very low quality and very soft.

I've been on the brink of buying one, with the plan being to buy a higher quality, correct length barrel (12.5") and SBR / rebarrel it when I've put a few thousand rounds through it.

The only other complaints I've heard are a few with canted sights.

The FEG parts are all good quality.

If you can find one of the older guns that came in complete, jump on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 11:04:29 AM EDT
[#2]

here's a look inside, I personally wouldn't buy one unless it has changed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:54:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks fellas. The barrel was my main concern as well. Looks like I’ll wait for a deal on a WASR.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Don't be afraid of an N-PAP or an RH10 either.

I think the next one I get is gonna be either a Draco or PAP M92 though. I want a braced AK pistol.

Atlantic also has some barreled Romanian parts kit recievers too if you wanna but some furniture and a RAK-1 trigger (the one in my RH-10 is suprisingly good. A crisp 2 stage pull)
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 5:01:24 AM EDT
[#5]
AMD 63 and 65 are two different things. 63 is a 65 with a standard barrel length and fixed wooden stock.. The 65 has a short barrel and folding stock. i picked up a 63 back in the heyday of AK building with the original barrel. also got a unissued 65 kit i did an sbr on. it was an expensive two inches but it is what it is.
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 5:55:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Strange dt
Link Posted: 4/30/2018 5:56:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Find you an older one with original barrel then go shoot it at night.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 11:17:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, we are talking about 3 or 4 different guns here. The AMD65 is the one with the 'wire' folding stock. The good ones have the original military barrel of 11.5" with a permanently-attached extension brake. There is no problem with these original barrels. Since the kits with original barrels are a thing of the past, there's no telling what barrels might be in the more recent ones like the subject of that video but they most likely did not originate in Hungary.
I guess the OP referred to the AK63 that had a regular 16" barrel and a wood stock and pistol grip. This was the rifle where the vented steel lower hand guard with wood pistol grip (VFG) and 'naked' gas tube first appeared. A few parts kits of those got in but are very rare. Its easy to make one out of a post-ban SA85M. The vented steel fore ends were later used to make the paratrooper AMD65 which has the 'short' gas system.
I believe some rifles that had AK63 chracteristics were recently put together but these are not military parts kits from Hungary, so the barrels would be very questionable.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top