Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 6:12:24 AM EDT
I have a PWS flash hider on my PSA GF-3. When it is timed correctly there it fits loose on the barrel/detent. I know some AK muzzle devices use a high temp o-ring to tighten up the fit. Does anyone a reasonable source for these? What is the size and material thye are made from ?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:35:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Probable need a viton oring.

Pm me the OD of the threads and your address.  I will send you some.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:39:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I use these for all of my threaded barrels on my pistols.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 6:48:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Thank you! PM incoming.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Do not use a Viton o-ring. Viton is chemical resistant, not temperature. Silicone has a higher temp rating than Viton.

You need to use a precision shim kit.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do not use a Viton o-ring. Viton is chemical resistant, not temperature. Silicone has a higher temp rating than Viton.

You need to use a precision shim kit.
View Quote

Please don't comment on things you know nothing about.

Viton o-rings are rated to handle temperatures up to 400° F.  Yes, they are also very chemically resistant, but they are the primary go-to material in many industries for high heat applications.  Light duty auto transmissions, for one.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:Please don't comment on things you know nothing about.
View Quote

@intheburbs
I design industrial oil and gas burners. I'd say I'm well enough qualified to comment on this subject matter.
The muzzle of a centerfire rifle can get well above 400F.
An o-ring is not the proper piece of hardware for this application. That's what precision shims are for.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:44:16 AM EDT
[#7]
or you can run the FSB side of the  device across a flat file or stone to remove small amounts of material until it makes one more full rotation and tightly times up with the detent.

if you don't plan on swapping the device to another rifle imo this is the best way to go. don't need to worry about o rings or shims
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:58:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
or you can run the FSB side of the  device across a flat file or stone to remove small amounts of material until it makes one more full rotation and tightly times up with the detent.

if you don't plan on swapping the device to another rifle imo this is the best way to go. don't need to worry about o rings or shims
View Quote

Bingo, this is how you correctly fit an AK muzzle device.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:39:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
this. Do it right.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 2:32:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep. Exactly how I do mine, easy-peasy.

On an AK or other rifle that doesn't have the standard FSB of a regular AK, I sometimes use a small wrap of teflon plumbers tape, works perfectly, over time it'll get a little crispy, when it does you just pull the muzzle device, clean threads, apply new tape. This is literally a penny fix that works like a charm, tape acts like a threadlocker.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 9:42:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Please don't comment on things you know nothing about.

Viton o-rings are rated to handle temperatures up to 400° F.  Yes, they are also very chemically resistant, but they are the primary go-to material in many industries for high heat applications.  Light duty auto transmissions, for one.
View Quote

LMAO!  400 degrees?  Now who is commenting on things they know nothing about.  400 degrees is NOT high heat.  Surefire sends a small tube of Rockset with every muzzle device they sell.  Use google and become enlightened.
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 10:11:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
This. If you need more, go to McMaster Carr.
Link Posted: 4/18/2021 11:24:04 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Surefire sends a small tube of Rockset with every muzzle device they sell.  Use google and become enlightened.
View Quote
No comment on the main point of this thread but I have had Rockset fail on every suppressed gun I've tried it on. It seems like loc-tite holds up better on AKs for me, and my takeaway was that Rockset seems to have a lower heat tolerance than loc-tite
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 7:21:28 AM EDT
[#14]
OP if you have the detent in the FSB, then file the back down if you feel you need a tight lockup.
If you do not have the detent, then I guess follow what else these other people are saying, I've never bought one w/o
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 8:26:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is this really how it's done? Do the comblok militaries do this? I'm not trying to be snarky, asking an honest question because two of mine fit loose and it drives me nuts!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 11:39:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Is this really how it's done? Do the comblok militaries do this? I'm not trying to be snarky, asking an honest question because two of mine fit loose and it drives me nuts!!
View Quote

No, the combloc militaries installed device and said, eh, is good enough. A little rattle ends up going away with enough carbon.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 1:58:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

No, the combloc militaries installed device and said, eh, is good enough. A little rattle ends up going away with enough carbon.
View Quote

Ah, ok. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2021 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well like Nictra said, no they don't, but they ought to, it's so simple and quick, piece of sandpaper, flat surface, maybe 30 seconds total of elbow grease and bam, custom perfect fit.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top