Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2018 10:29:42 PM EDT
Hey all.

I need some help and/or advice please.  I am not well versed in what all is available today for the AK platform and need some guidance as to what folding stocks would be good choices for me.

I have a stock SAR1 that was given to me by my previous brother-in-law.  He bought it new and put maybe 250 rounds thru it and I have put probably 300 thru it, so it is in very good condition and I haven't changed anything on it.

What I would like to get is a folding stock in the NATO length so it is more comfortable for me to shoot with my bad neck and shoulders.  I would also like to get new stock components to go with the folder to update the look and feel of the rifle too.
I have been looking at the ZHUKOV stock kit as it looks easy to install and from what I have read, is a pretty nice unit for the AK.  Would you all agree that the ZHUKOV is a nice option for my SAR1?  If you have one, what do you think of them?
What other stock options would you suggest I check out for my SAR1?

Another upgrade I would like to make on my SAR1 is the muzzle brake.  I like the looks of the one that comes on the Arsenal AK's.  I think they are threaded so I would have to have my barrel threaded, which I don't think would be that difficult to have done here in the area of Houston.
I don't know what other upgrades I should be considering after the folding stock and other stock components.  Can you suggest some that would make it a better overall rifle?  Are there changes I can make on my own, or some that wouldn't be that expensive, that would give me a more accurate rifle or would those upgrades be a big step up in money to get?

Last thing...with regards to a red dot mount, what is the best way to go with the SAR1.....a side mount that utilizes the stock hardware or one of front tube rail mounts like many have installed now?

Any advice and suggestions you care to give on these or any other ugrades or additions would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly for your time and any help you care to give.

Larry
Link Posted: 4/27/2018 10:12:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Zhukov stock.  It's alright.  I don't like the locking mechanism that much - too easy to force it open or closed.  And if you push the stock to one side a little using your knee with the butt of the stock on the ground, you can slide the locking block out of the receiver and make the stock wobble.  It definitely doesn't lock up and stay tight like other folding stocks.  It will work fine as long as you don't handle it too roughly.

As for muzzle brakes on Arsenal rifles, do you mean the one like this?  http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/ak-140us-compensator-for-ak-47-rifles.html

It requires a threaded front sight base like AK74s have (24mm threads).  A "normal" AK47 brake has 14mm left-hand threads.  They do make adapters to turn 14mm LH threads into 24mm RH threads.  I have one on my WASR-2.  It works okay, but it's hard to get off and back on when cleaning time comes for the compensator.
Link Posted: 4/28/2018 3:48:36 AM EDT
[#2]
YES....that's the brake I like and would like to add to my SAR1.

If it is such trouble....what would you suggest?  Can you tell me about another good looking brake that would not be that much trouble to add to my SAR1?  Keep in mind that my SAR isn't threaded and it just has that end of the barrel that has the diagonal cut on it.  It has no muzzle brake on it now.
I'm just looking for something easy to install, works well and looks good to use as a brake.  I'm open to all suggestions.

If you or anyone else has ideas on what stock and furniture to use, I'd like to hear about that too.  I might have to go with a standard fixed setup with maybe a plum colored set until I find a suitable folder.

Thanks for your help and time.  Have a good weekend.

Larry
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:18:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm not sure what you mean by diagonal cut? It shouldn't be threaded at all, but a GOOD GUNSMITH THAT BUILDS AKs should be able to thread it.  I had mine done a few months ago.

Tapco makes a brake that looks like an AK74 brake, but threaded 14x1L.

As for stocks, I really like the Magpul fixed stocks. I know they don't fold... But they look nice and are very solid.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 5:32:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy the Romanian sidefolder and buy from kvar the gp25 grenade launcher recoil pad or utg if you want cheap. Make sure to order one with a strap. The recoil pad makes lop longer to nato length.

Recoil pad

Page AK-47 » Bulgarian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top