Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2022 12:23:35 PM EDT
Encountered some ammunition recently.

- 7.62x39
- case is silver colored, almost chromed
- projectile is copper or copper-washed
- primer is bronze/dark copper colored
- boxer primed (single hole)

Headstamp has an ampersand-like symbol at the 11 O'clock position (i.e. "@" but with the loop extending to the upper right off the symbol)

Starting at the 9 O'clock position and ending at the 3 O'clock position was inscribed "7.62x39 01"
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 12:49:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Yes, just like that. Except, it was FMJ and not hollow point.

Thank you.

I missed out on this ammo. Haven't seen a lot of it in 7.62 the last 13 years. Got plenty in 5.45 over the years.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 2:13:53 PM EDT
[#4]
It is not Boxer primed.

You are probably seeing the dimple made in the bottom of the case for the Berdan anvil.

I have some of this from 2000 it is actual Nickel plating on the cases like yours not the later Zinc they quickly switched to.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, the original "Silver Bear" from Klimovsk had nickel plated steel cases.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:03:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It is not Boxer primed.

You are probably seeing the dimple made in the bottom of the case for the Berdan anvil.

I have some of this from 2000 it is actual Nickel plating on the cases like yours not the later Zinc they quickly switched to.
View Quote

Is it corrosive?
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:18:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That was my thought, the nickle plated version of Silver Bear perhaps.

https://i1.wp.com/collectibleammunition.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/IMG_1469.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This, I had some in .308 that was 1moa at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 4/13/2022 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is it corrosive?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It is not Boxer primed.

Is it corrosive?

Supposedly "NO", but out of caution may still treat Steel Cased East Bloc Ammo (as in not Made in the USA Brass Case) as if it were Semi-Corrosive and clean well after shooting.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 10:57:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Sorry no... Silver Bear was never made by Klimovsk. The head stamp on this is Klimovsk... they make good ammo.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Sorry no... Silver Bear was never made by Klimovsk. The head stamp on this is Klimovsk... they make good ammo.
View Quote

The boxes of Klimovsk made, nickel plated 7.62x39mm that say "Silver Bear" suggest that you are mistaken.

If your claim is true, why would Klimovsk use nickel plated cases, and what brand name were they sold under if not "Silver Bear"?
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 3:43:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, I can tell you, having worked for the importer, Zander's Sporting Goods and being the translator, that Silver Bear was never bought from Klimovsk... I know that much. I know that Ulyanovsk and Barnaul were the only factories that made the silver (zinc) finish.

Dredging up 20+ year memories... this, this is in fact Klimovsk... a small amount was brought in from Klimovsk with silver zinc finish... but a very small amount... My bad and I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 4:13:02 PM EDT
[#12]
You are correct that Uly and Barnaul made the zinc plated steel cases that were sold as "Silver Bear".

The "original" Silver Bear was this Klimovsk made ammunition with the nickel plated steel cases.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top