Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2018 1:13:06 PM EDT
I have Century AK-74 "Bulgarian" rifle that needs a new barrel.  The original POS barrel shot out fast, so I replaced it with a $50 U.S one from a Centerfire systems sale.   This was a <$350 rifle, so I didn't want to put a $250+ Bulgarian barrel on it.

However...the $50 US barrel had the wrong twist rate and keyholed, so I have to take the damn thing apart again.  I also had to knurl the barrel slightly so I probably have a oversized trunnion, which makes me leary of putting a $275 KVAR barrel on it.

I'm leaning towards the Green Mountain barrel, since I've used their blanks with good luck in the past on other projects.  With shipping it will be close to $200.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:26:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't used that particular barrel but have you looked at the options here: http://armsofamerica.com/barrels-2.aspx
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I haven't used that particular barrel but have you looked at the options here: http://armsofamerica.com/barrels-2.aspx
View Quote
All the 5.45 ones are out of stock.

They do have 5.56 ones for $120, but I have enough 5.45 to shoot out a barrel.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 2:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
The 5.45 I had was very accurate.  Tear up golf balls at 100 yards all day long.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 3:01:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The 5.45 I had was very accurate.  Tear up golf balls at 100 yards all day long.
View Quote
Green mountain barrel??
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:21:52 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 4 guns built on Green Mountain 5.45 barrels, good shit, good quality and no rush still after lots on 7n6 (disclaimer: its dry as hell here) and only rare cleanings.  I have 2 friends with them also.  I bought a batch of them years ago for about $20 each when 74 kits were like $120.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Green mountain barrel??
View Quote
Yup I was one of the few people to get a decent waffen werks 74 with nodak spud and Green mountain barrel.  They went to shit shortly after as far as I can disern.
Link Posted: 2/8/2018 4:50:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks all.  Ordered the Green Mountain.  $182 shipped.

ETA: they also had a raw 5.45 blank, non-chromed 4150V for $45 that I was really tempted by, but chrome lined and ready to put on without a couple hours of lathe and mill time seems worth it to me.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 10:53:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Who is changing the barrel and what’s it going to cost you.  I have an old sar2 that needs a new barrel.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 11:09:40 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a 16" Green Mountain barrel and a 20" Green Mountain barrel. Both are super accurate, would not hesitate to buy again.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:10:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Who is changing the barrel and what's it going to cost you.  I have an old sar2 that needs a new barrel.
View Quote
I'll be doing it myself.  I think it will cost me about 2-3 hours of a Saturday.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 6:05:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I'll be doing it myself.  I think it will cost me about 2-3 hours of a Saturday.
View Quote
Sigh.  ETA... now I’m looking at a pulley puller to remove the barrel.  I might have access to a press. I’d like to be able to do the barrel swap myself.  I built a 1911, this cant be that hard.  Im only concerned about not blowing a wad on tools... now to look for how to insert the barrel and set headspace.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top