Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/25/2021 12:38:46 AM EDT
There is an older thread that has been archived that mentions a galil stock tool, but the link to it doesn't work and it doesn't seem to be on the site anymore. Does anyone know what this tool looks like or knows if there is a substitute. I know you don't need a special tool, but if there is a tool to hold and compress the spring making it easier to remove the e clip, I thought it might be worthwhile to get or try to make a copy of. If you have a picture or a working link, it would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/25/2021 5:36:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, that company stopped selling them. If I remember when I'm off I'll draw one up.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 10:27:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Just get someone to help you. Its an easy job with an extra set of hands.
Link Posted: 6/27/2021 4:02:20 PM EDT
[#3]
It's so easy to remove the hinge pin and clip on either the original or Ace (same thing).

Use something stubby on your bench, like stubby bolt to push up the pin. Push down the stock onto it. Pin pops up. Then just grab the c-clip with little pliers. The pin and spring just fall out.
Reinstall is the same way.

I put a spare Galil AR stock an Ace just to see how it looks. The spring, pin and hinge dimensions are identical.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 2:11:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's so easy to remove the hinge pin and clip on either the original or Ace (same thing).

Use something stubby on your bench, like stubby bolt to push up the pin. Push down the stock onto it. Pin pops up. Then just grab the c-clip with little pliers. The pin and spring just fall out.
Reinstall is the same way.

I put a spare Galil AR stock an Ace just to see how it looks. The spring, pin and hinge dimensions are identical.
View Quote

Did the OG galil stock fold flat against the gun, or did it stick out weirdly when folded? I've seen some that lay nice and flat and others that don't - have been trying to figure out the reason for the difference.
Link Posted: 6/28/2021 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Did the OG galil stock fold flat against the gun, or did it stick out weirdly when folded? I've seen some that lay nice and flat and others that don't - have been trying to figure out the reason for the difference.
View Quote

I had to use an emery board to round the plastic off of the corner of the ACE plastic lower grip frame in order to get my original Galil stock to go flat against the receiver.  At the seven o'clock of the "CHF/CL" markings on the rear of the receiver.  Used a piece of tape to protect the receiver and four or five strokes was all that was needed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 10:14:31 PM EDT
[#6]
I would also add doing it inside a big plastic bag so you don’t have any springs or pins flying across the room unexpectedly.
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 8:48:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, I used a box full of shop rags to catch the pivot pin and spring.  A guy on YT said to have something to catch it and he was right.
Link Posted: 7/14/2021 10:13:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Yeah, that company stopped selling them. If I remember when I'm off I'll draw one up.
View Quote
@AEnemaBay I would love to see what that looks like.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#9]
a 3 inch c-clamp, a dremel and a bit of imagination will make a nice tool.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 11:46:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
a 3 inch c-clamp, a dremel and a bit of imagination will make a nice tool.
View Quote

Well I thought I knew what to do but I have no idea what the dremel is for.
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 2:22:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
@AEnemaBay I would love to see what that looks like.
View Quote

Sorry for the delay. Hectic work life is keeping me from the shop. The one that was sold was much nicer than this and was longer to so you could hold onto it easier. I made this up from a piece of cut-off barrel blank that is 1" in diameter. The bolt is 5/16-18 because that's what I had within reach. Makes pushing the pin up to remove the clip effortless (after putting in the effort to make the tool that is). You could make this out of aluminum or even 3D print it for one that you'll only use a couple of times.

Link Posted: 7/15/2021 6:53:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Every factory gun I have ever seen folded flat? Not sure what you mean by weird angle?
Link Posted: 7/15/2021 7:25:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sorry for the delay. Hectic work life is keeping me from the shop. The one that was sold was much nicer than this and was longer to so you could hold onto it easier. I made this up from a piece of cut-off barrel blank that is 1" in diameter. The bolt is 5/16-18 because that's what I had within reach. Makes pushing the pin up to remove the clip effortless (after putting in the effort to make the tool that is). You could make this out of aluminum or even 3D print it for one that you'll only use a couple of times.

https://i.imgur.com/f81HLJhl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/j1ixG3Jl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DTSePRpl.jpg

View Quote
Dude that is clever as all heck.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 1:19:17 AM EDT
[#14]
" />
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:42:22 AM EDT
[#15]

Nice.
Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top