Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/1/2020 2:29:15 PM EDT
The title says it all. I plan on running them suppressed (Surefire for RD, OSS and a KNS gas piston for the Galil). Which would you choose and why?

I plan on using this to shoot matches, take carbine courses, maybe hunt hogs etc
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:05:17 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a Galil ACE in 7.62x39 and I currently have a few RD rifles. I don’t have a 702 but I do have a 502 and a 701 with a milled receiver. The Galil is a very high quality rifle but there were some things that annoyed me about it. A couple off the top of my head were the short fore end and the mag release paddle design making it difficult to do quick magazine changes (see A Regular Guy’s video review on it to see what I’m talking about.) With that being said, you can likely get an ACE and pretty well set it up with a quality optic, light, and sling for what a bare RD rifle is going to cost.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 3:19:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Galil Ace with RS Regulate handguard and a KNS plastic delete kit and their piston would be an awesome all around rifle.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 4:18:08 PM EDT
[#3]
I own a Galil ACE and RD703. The 703 is a great suppressor host, but my ACE is a more accurate rifle. If I could find an ALG trigger, I think it could be even better.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 5:16:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Does the Picatinny rail on the ACE and lack of a folding rear sight bug any of you? It seems more convenient to run a LPVO via a side rail rather than on an ACE with the Picatinny rail. Any issues holding zero?

The ACE obviously is the better value: All Israeli parts, CHF chrome lined barrel, a legit military rifle, etc. IWI doesn’t sell spare bolts though (I just emailed and asked.....they said not at present). This fact and the Picatinny rail’s design are my big hang ups about buying the ACE:

The Galil ACE Assault Rifle

See the slow mo with the wobble. I guess it doesn’t matter for a rifle of this type shooting Russian ammo.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Galil Ace with RS Regulate handguard and a KNS plastic delete kit and their piston would be an awesome all around rifle.
View Quote

Pics man
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 9:39:10 PM EDT
[#6]
ACE in 7.62X39 is much more accurate rifle for me.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pics man
View Quote

I've got most of that setup.  ACE 556 pistol, RS regulate handguard, KNS piston.  Nobody makes a metal lower for the STANAG mag setup yet.  I've considered chopping up an AR lower to have a metal magwell and getting rid of the plastic.

For OP, you're looking at a real military factory gun vs a cobble together parts kit build.  The military gun has night sights, left side charging, and optics ready.  No brainer on the ACE.

Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#8]
What type of can is that? I really would love a Galil pistol, but I wish they offered it with a slightly longer barrel (something > 10" in the 5.56 and 7.62x39 variants).

Wow. I'm sort of surprised everyone came out so strongly in favor of the Galil. I called other gun smiths (whom I won't name) this week, about building me something like the RD702 with a milled receiver. I pointed out to them the purpose, and what I really really want is a Rk62 M3 (the modernized Sako 95). I got pure venom from them from even mentioning Rifle Dynamics. Not sure if its jealously or something else. I never understood why or how RD charges so much for an AK with a nice front end, but it seems everyone likes them and they run well (which is all that matters). Not sure if it gives up much to the Galil though.

I really think Definitive Arms's DAG-13 adjustable gas block is pretty cool, but they are not taking orders again until later this year. Parts kits are not easy to come by it seems. Sounds like a Galil ACE is a sure way to go for the time being.

I'd like to hear some more opinions. Thanks everyone for commenting.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've got most of that setup.  ACE 556 pistol, RS regulate handguard, KNS piston.  Nobody makes a metal lower for the STANAG mag setup yet.  I've considered chopping up an AR lower to have a metal magwell and getting rid of the plastic.

For OP, you're looking at a real military factory gun vs a cobble together parts kit build.  The military gun has night sights, left side charging, and optics ready.  No brainer on the ACE.

https://i.ibb.co/ZGqVNbs/Screen-Shot-2020-01-18-at-1-27-46-PM.png
https://i.ibb.co/vDbmzz0/Screen-Shot-2020-01-18-at-1-28-22-PM.png
View Quote

What block is that to attach the PSA brace? I have one and hate the big rubber brace and have been wanting to replace it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

What block is that to attach the PSA brace? I have one and hate the big rubber brace and have been wanting to replace it.
View Quote

Kns makes a couple different rear blocks.  This is the picatinny rail one.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:38:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Pics man
View Quote

I don’t have that setup but have really thought about doing it. I have another project in the works though. I just bought another Saiga 223 to make a 102 Clone because I’m so jealous of your 105 clone.
Link Posted: 4/1/2020 11:43:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Kns makes a couple different rear blocks.  This is the picatinny rail one.
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#13]
So I wound up ordering a Galil ACE 7.62x39 pistol through my local dealer. Given the ACE’s lack of a folding rear sight, I was going to run an Aimpoint on it, so a short barrel makes more sense for a rifle to be used < 100-150 yards (where I shoot at).

I guess I’ll order a OSS can (I have other reasons to buy one of their cans besides this one) and run it suppressed. I like this combo better than the idea of 300 black out, but hopefully, I won’t be eating my words.

I’m still on the hunt for a full length AK rifle......I’ll wait a bit though before deciding. Need to complete my collection
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 3:37:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I don’t have that setup but have really thought about doing it. I have another project in the works though. I just bought another Saiga 223 to make a 102 Clone because I’m so jealous of your 105 clone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pics man

ooooh.

I foolishly passed over a 16" saiga 223 for $600 last fall....kicking myself for that now.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 4:21:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got a saiga 223 with dimples and slowly collecting parts to do a conversion.  I got the russian 5.5 folder.  Where I got stuck is deciding on what to do with the business end.  Mine came with the slightly fatter barrel.  There don't seem to be any options for replacement gas blocks or combo blocks with the larger journel.  I was considering cutting up the combo block that came off my sam7k-01 and welding it to the saiga gas block.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 5:08:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I've got a saiga 223 with dimples and slowly collecting parts to do a conversion.  I got the russian 5.5 folder.  Where I got stuck is deciding on what to do with the business end.  Mine came with the slightly fatter barrel.  There don't seem to be any options for replacement gas blocks or combo blocks with the larger journel.  I was considering cutting up the combo block that came off my sam7k-01 and welding it to the saiga gas block.
View Quote

I have an ‘02 Saiga with no dimples that has the fatter barrel. I had builder just turn it down to install a Meridian Defense combo gas block. This one is my beater suppressor host. My 102 clone will be my lightweight handy rifle. I have packages from Russia with parts for both stuck in limbo thanks to the kung flu.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top