Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 12/24/2020 8:43:57 PM EDT
Anyone use them that could share their opinion?  I would love a peep but not a fan of the railed top cover or tech sights route.  It seems it would be difficult to see through a peep that far forward.  Anyone with personal experience?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 10:41:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I put a Williams IIRC peep rear sight on an SKS I had many years ago. Worked very well.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:46:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you both for your feedback.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:47:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Currently I'm using 800m from Krebs. I wanted to get GG&G 800m (800m are a tad shorter), but getting gun stuff from US becomes more difficult every year. To me Krebs and GG&G look identical but maybe I'm wrong.

My SBR Saiga (almost like Arsenal 107CR) had stock AK74 front post and rear leaf installed by the previous owner. Shooting with irons was PITA for me. I could make some hits at 30m, but at 100m it was almost unreal. The frontpost looked way to thick in the narrow rear leaf.  I knew the rifle is fine - it was me. That combo didn't work for me.

At some moment I managed to score rear leaf from Saiga shotgun - looks the same but the notch was sorta 1.5x wider. It really imroved my shooting. But I always felt that the sight slows me down.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 9:51:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Last year I got Krebs 800m peep or ghost ring rear sight. Installed it and still using it. I can clearly see the target, my front post (the same that looked way too thick with the old rear leaf) and now I make constant hits up to 150 m (don't have access to longer range right now) in IDPA target (70-80% hits in A zone ) from standing position. I don't shoot for groops so I can't tell you anything about that. So far this ghost ring helps me. You can still miss with it but its harder :D While googling some info about that sight I've seen a lot of opinions. Most people say that this sight sucks because it located way too far from your eye. Some of them never even used it.
The thing is - that sight works BUT with some limitations.

The real peep sight (located near your eye) is almost paralax free so if you see your target and your front post - you are gtg. But this Krebs or GGGwhatever  rear leaf cannot minimize that  parallax error so you hawe to plase your eye (so as your head) as precise as you can in order to alighn your sights, target and yor eye. maybe it sounds way too complicate but.....like Murfy says "If its stupid but it works than its not stupid". Same sh%t for me - this "wrong" ghost ring really works for me. I was looking for some bulletproof BUIS that I can use effectively when something happens whis my LPVO. That sight fits the bill 100%.

Wow! Thats my first post at arfcom Hope it helps
Alex
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 8:39:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm not a big fan of peeps on AK's, but I do think that KNS makes the best one, theirs has swappable apertures so you can change the size of the opening and it is also windage and elevation adjustable.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 3:39:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Well I hoped that KNS product will be something better but...IMO the only good thing about it is the abbility to swap the peep size. The downside is HUGE size of it, the windage dial is easy to turn accidentally and mess the whole things up. So its a no go for me. I'd rather make my own using the RPK rear leaf or just get the AK12 and enlarge he peep size. But so far mine works fine.
My opinion is simple - try it. If it works for your vision then screw all the bashing. Its not that expensive for US buyeres.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:38:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Interesting stuff, I may have to give one a try.

Link Posted: 2/1/2022 12:52:26 AM EDT
[#9]
IMO without swapping a front sight post in that easily catches your eye, it won't matter much. I have a GGGAZ and I tried a few different front posts (also a blitzkrieg components chevron with an adapter drum), the fat flattop post from a KNS kit did it.

The blitzkrieg chevron is amazing on any gun BUT I didn't have room to move the drum into alignment. If you use a chevron, you'll need a windage adjustable rear sight (the base of the chevron barely clears the bottom of the sight tower).
Link Posted: 2/2/2022 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm not a fan of the peep that far away from my eye. The Tech-sights solution works much better as a sighting system, but it's a PITA for maintenance.

Honestly, the standard AK sights work pretty well. They are basically handgun sights with a longer sight radius.
Link Posted: 3/19/2022 1:22:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm not a fan of the peep that far away from my eye. The Tech-sights solution works much better as a sighting system, but it's a PITA for maintenance.

Honestly, the standard AK sights work pretty well. They are basically handgun sights with a longer sight radius.
View Quote

You must be under 40 years old. Older eyes will find them next to impossible to use.

I purchased an Ultimak rail, the lowest 1" rings I could find and a used Leupold M8 EER 2.5X pistol scope. This set up has allowed me to shoot 2.5" groups at 100 yards off a bench, something I would have thought impossible prior to trying it. It has a simple duplex reticle and is adjustable for eye focus, something that makes a huge difference with aging eyes.

I have a Tech-Sights rear aperture mounted on my SKS and really like it.

AK/SKS/Springfield 1903/Mauser K98 style sights were all designed close to 100 years ago when fine precision was thought to be more important than speed on target. Since most soldiers were and are under 40 years old they can still focus their eyesight up close. The older a person gets, the harder this becomes.

Putting a red dot on any AK is better than irons IMO. Even a cheap Primary Arms ($129) micro RDS will improve speed and accuracy over any iron sights you can use. You can spend $60 for better irons, or $250 for a scope/RDS that really makes a difference.
Link Posted: 7/20/2022 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you both for your feedback.
View Quote

@j97531

Did you ever pick up a peep for your ak? If so do you like it??

I’ve got a PSA 103 that I’m looking to put one on. Looking at the Krebs & ggg 800m offerings. Wish I could find a circle 10 u notch but they seem to be oos everywhere.  Mine will wear a pa 3x micro sometimes and other times just the irons.
Link Posted: 7/21/2022 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
My recollection is that on the 200m setting the front post is buried far enough to not be too useful up close.  You can counter is by raising elevation up close but lowering once you get to around 75 is needed without some pretty dramatic holds.  For me, I prefer more front post to acquire/align fast.
Page AK-47 » Optics & Accessories
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top