Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/24/2018 10:23:20 PM EDT
OK, I converted a Saiga about ten years ago.  The FSB was canted.  I remember it was a biotech getting the pins out.  I banged on them and drilled them, and finally won.  The sight is now not canted.  I have never installed replacement pins.  I know I had to remove extra material from the barrel when I moved the sight and then redrilled the holes.  First, should I use straight or tapered pins?  Where can I get the pins on the cheap?   Second, could I just ooze JB weld into the voids?  Will the heat break the epoxy down?  Do I care?  If it filled the pin gaps, will it hold?  I spray painted the sight and barrel with flat black Krylon barbecue paint.  I’m not worried too much about aesthetics, but I don’t want it to look like crap either.  Any help?
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:37:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Regular spring tension roll pins work just fine and are every where.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#2]
I’m going to try tapered pins bedded in JB Weld to fill the earlier groove from the pins original position.  I will report back.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:29:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I could fuck up a one car funeral.  So tonight I installed the tapered pins.  I used the Brownells reamer with the toy handle.  It was not cutting well, so after the handle slipped off, I chucked it in my drill.  No problem fitting it dirty, but once I cleaned everything out with compressed air, I realized I went too deep.  See what I mean about messing up stupid shit.  Anyway, I used a bunch of JB weld on the pins, and just installed them from the opposite side.  Turned out fine.  I’m never selling this rifle, and it is not like it is anything other than a nice shooter.  It has the Velcro patch, etc.  So, don’t be like me, go slowly, and clean up everything before going further, and resorting to the power tools.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Lol, JB Weld has taken over for duct tape.

I had to use spring roll pins on my build. The barrel was a new de-mill and for some reason the pins were too loose so I had a bin of the spring style and it worked great, I just had to trim them down flush.

Glad you got it going.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top