Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2022 6:16:11 PM EDT
I'm trying to figure out the weight of a -74 with Zenitco hand guards/stock and a top cover.  Something along the lines of a B-30/B31 combo with the B-33 and PT-1?

@TX-Zen

TIA!
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably around 8-9 pounds if I had to guess before optics and other accessories. I don't have a full zenitco'd 74 so I really don't know.

I have all those parts excluding the PT-1 stock laying around they're not super light.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:06:27 PM EDT
[#2]
I can weigh mine sans Zenit stock but would guess it's pretty heavy.

Big issue I have with the setup isn't the weight per se, it's the balance. It feels very heavy out towards the end and fatigues my support hand more quickly than a heavier AR. Ditching the 4pc flash hider would help.
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 11:05:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys.

I’m trying to decide if I want to mess with trying to find all the Z stuff for my SGL-31, or try and pick up a 16” Galil ACE gen 2 in 5.45 when they come out.

IWI says the ACE is 8 pounds 12 ounces, I’m really curious how close the SGL would be all tricked out.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 4:55:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks guys.

I'm trying to decide if I want to mess with trying to find all the Z stuff for my SGL-31, or try and pick up a 16" Galil ACE gen 2 in 5.45 when they come out.

IWI says the ACE is 8 pounds 12 ounces, I'm really curious how close the SGL would be all tricked out.
View Quote
9.2lbs unloaded with a sling, H1 dot, Zenit Sport 4 + top cover, and Bulgy 4pc flash hider. Balance is poor, no other way to describe it honestly have no desire to suppress it given how nose-heavy it is.

I'll add the caveat that I'm an idiot and didn't read your thread title closely - mine is a 47 shooting 7.62 Russian. Stamped receiver. Not sure if the 5.45 guns are meaningfully lighter or heavier.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 7:30:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
9.2lbs unloaded with a sling, H1 dot, Zenit Sport 4 + top cover, and Bulgy 4pc flash hider. Balance is poor, no other way to describe it honestly have no desire to suppress it given how nose-heavy it is.

I'll add the caveat that I'm an idiot and didn't read your thread title closely - mine is a 47 shooting 7.62 Russian. Stamped receiver. Not sure if the 5.45 guns are meaningfully lighter or heavier.
View Quote
The 5.45 barrels are a tad heavier.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:04:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm surprised it came in that heavy.  Probably just about the same as the Gen 2 ACE, and thats not a featherweight.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#7]
They are both heavier than necessary, very similar overall, the Ace should balance more towards the rear due to the milled receiver

If you are an AK purist, the Ace will not scratch the Zenit itch

If you are okay with what amounts to the best value for what you actually buy, then get the Ace

Also, currently you could swing a new galil ace for the price of only the zenit furiture

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:25:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They are both heavier than necessary, very similar overall, the Ace should balance more towards the rear due to the milled receiver

If you are an AK purist, the Ace will not scratch the Zenit itch

If you are okay with what amounts to the best value for what you actually buy, then get the Ace

Also, currently you could swing a new galil ace for the price of only the zenit furiture

View Quote

I noticed the prices of the Zenit stuff have gone nuts.  Honestly if I wasn't sitting on more 7N6 than I'll probably be able to shoot in my lifetime I wouldn't even be thinking about this.  But since my SGL and SLR are approaching stupid collector value I kind of hate to shoot them that much anymore.  I do have a Gen 1 ACE pistol in 5.45 I SBR'd.

Option three is waiting for K-USA to release their AK-12 clone, or one of their -74's with some RS Regulate stuff.  Those weights are pushing me more towards the ACE though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 10:38:55 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll weigh it again without the flash hider. It's stupid heavy, may as well be a K can. A heavier stock (Zenit or otherwise) would probably help balance it better. Magpul CTR on it now.
Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:18:26 PM EDT
[#10]
12.8 pounds or so, but it's an AK105 and is missing 4 inches of barrel plus the FSB

Link Posted: 4/3/2022 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not a fan of the ZenitCo PT series stocks and never have been. Yes, they are functional and have lots of adjustment but they are heavy and IMO pretty damn ugly. They do give you a nice feature if you use the B13 side rail in that you can close the PT stocks without removing the B13 and your optic, but there again I also do not like the B13 side rail itself. I know they have a great reputation but to me it's one of the least effective rail designs on the market. There, I said it

B33 is a better solution than B13 in my opinion as well, and that pretty much kills any reason I would have to use the PT stocks

I can't comment on the ACE over the SGL. To me that all comes down to personal preference. I have never personally though the Galil or the ACE rifles were as great as they are said to be and I still prefer the AK74 by a long shot. I have never owned an ACE myself but I have shot them, and while they are definitely really nice rifles to me they aren't doing anything that ZenitCo doesn't also do (except be somewhat cheaper, especially nowadays, which is a fair point)

All night fighting rifles are heavy when suppressed with optics, lights and lasers added, even ARs. You get used to the balance, or deal with it as best you can. I am not an operator or super high speed by any stretch but in my experience if I stay on the sling while I'm hunting the weight and balance isn't terrible. No way would I want to road march without a sling, but for relatively short hunting stalks even without a sling isn't terrible

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top