Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2021 11:19:51 PM EDT
I’m looking for a side-folder, either polymer or triangle. Although readily available, I’m not too keen on the SAM7 side-folder, mainly for cosmetic reasons (the mechanism protrudes awkwardly from the back of the receiver). I would prefer something like an AK-100: low profile, strong, and integrated into the receiver.

So, what is your current favorite side-folder? Or, asked another way, what’s the best one out there right now?
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:29:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Looks like the only things available is the SAM7SF and ZPAP folder. I’ve got a SAM7SF probably the best folder I’ve owned. Agrees it looks wonky but that’s how the Bulgarians make them.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 11:59:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Well you got wire folders, crutch folder, and triangle folders.

These polymer side folders are actually comfortable from
Arsenal

https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/black-set-polymer-folder-warsaw-length.html

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:00:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Definitely the 4.5 and 5.5 folders are the best, polymer and triangle are equal for me, I use both. There are also a lot more aftermarket options for those hinges as well.
Any AK with standard stamped receiver can have the folder installed, just needs to be done by a competent AK gunsmith.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:07:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to sidetrack, what is Warsaw length?

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:18:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Warsaw is around 8 in. Nato is around 9 in. From what I've been told, it has more to do with how Warsaw pact soldiers were taught to hold the rifle, and less to do with any real difference in the size of the soldier.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Well you got wire folders, crutch folder, and triangle folders.

These polymer side folders are actually comfortable from
Arsenal

https://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/black-set-polymer-folder-warsaw-length.html

https://i.ibb.co/JcYGHj2/133-F23-A2-43-B3-4703-AD72-A69-E095-F767-B.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/DW6Yb7X/604-B492-E-4389-4073-BECF-6-C881839754-B.jpg
View Quote

Awesome collection!

That Arsenal with the polymer stock is pretty much what I'm looking for, but a carbine-length version, rather than an SBR. I have yet to find one though.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:23:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

So, what is your current favorite side-folder? Or, asked another way, what’s the best one out there right now?
View Quote

I own a lot of kalashnikov rifles, and nothing is cooler to me than the AK74M pattern. The French would say it has a certain je ne sais quoi.

Best of luck to you.
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 12:37:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Warsaw is around 8 in. Nato is around 9 in. From what I've been told, it has more to do with how Warsaw pact soldiers were taught to hold the rifle, and less to do with any real difference in the size of the soldier.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Awesome collection!

That Arsenal with the polymer stock is pretty much what I'm looking for, but a carbine-length version, rather than an SBR. I have yet to find one though.
View Quote

Thank you! The side folders are the same length for sbr’s or standard rifles I believe
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 4:10:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 2/17/2021 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Favorite? This one. Not mine, and it's all nostalgia from my childhood.

Link Posted: 2/18/2021 8:04:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Original IMI Galil is my fav. Followed by the SAM7.
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:07:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Original IMI Galil is my fav. Followed by the SAM7.
View Quote

Ha! Me too for the Galil but I dont think that is what the OP is asking.  I think that for  looks, the metal triangle side folder is the best and even if not available currently you can find a side folder that will accept a triangle side folder without too much trouble.

For practical use, the polymer AK74M / AK100 series is the best of both worlds (just make sure if you are trying swap parts you make sure the parts are compatible - 4.5 hinge vs. 5.5 hinge).
Link Posted: 2/18/2021 10:52:56 PM EDT
[#15]
East German MPi-KMS-72
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:01:26 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  nothing is cooler to me than the AK74M pattern.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:  nothing is cooler to me than the AK74M pattern.

I agree.

But I also like wire folders

Quoted: Original IMI Galil is my fav.

Galil has about the strongest hinge of any AK patter rifle
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top