Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 11/12/2023 10:53:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rgaper]
I bought A LOT of this back in the day.  I have an ammo can with a few hundred rounds in it, still sealed in those cell packs it came in.  Is it collectible and sought after at all?
Link Posted: 11/14/2023 10:26:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Not really collectable. About a gazillion rounds were imported, so they are very common. The corrosive primers scare some people away, as does the price. Back when cases of it were available, it was dirt cheap. Now you see smaller quantities priced like regular ammunition or higher.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I let me kids go crazy with it in the RPD.  Should it get away from them I'm not worried about where they go since there is nothing for 300 yards past my berm.

They are also fun to mag dump on New Years Eve.

Down to about a single fat 50 of them left now.
Link Posted: 11/23/2023 11:14:41 PM EDT
[#3]
They will go much farther than 300 yards.

The East Germans trained with them out to 800 meters. These are often mistaken as "short range" cartridges. While they do have reduced downrange danger-space on purpose, the EGs called them "Ubung" or "Practice" ammunition.

IIRC, each crate came with a sheet of paper showing what rear sight elevation adjustments needed to be made to accommodate for the bullet drop. The adjustment for the RPK (for example) was setting the sight at the "10" to hit at 800 meters, and so-on down the ladder as range decreased.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 8:25:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly I’ve used them a lot, they will splatter pumpkins etc, go through thicker plywood like nothing, it’s my opinion they would be terribly effective on soft skinned unarmored targets, varmints etc.
Link Posted: 11/24/2023 11:30:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks dudes.  I bought them for $49/1K from Centerfire Systems.  Crazy in retrospect.
Link Posted: 1/3/2024 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#6]
I use this ammo in my 107cr SBR with a Dead Air Wolverine.  It cycles in a 12.5" (with the help on the Silencer) and is extremely quiet and soft shooting (KNS adjustable piston).  I do however  get a couple bad primers during matches (2-4 per 120rnds).  Corrosive as previously stated but didn't see any rust issues in the Wolverine besides on the removable end cap.
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top