BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/12/2018 8:26:00 PM EDT
I am thinking of buying this one. http://palmettostatearmory.com/blem-psak-47-liberty-gb2-zhukov-rifle-flat-dark-earth.html?trk_msg=03AILKEOGVP4JCPUH04POEHTLC&trk_contact=168EHB8S5GM2LOFBJ6DA8P9P2S&trk_sid=HCF30QVBUFCFJMR1OG6IGE75H4&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fblem-psak-47-liberty-gb2-zhukov-rifle-flat-dark-earth.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=5%3a00+Email

I have a ras47 now and I can see front trunion wear already. The PSA ak says it's billet steel like the mother Russian ones. Anyone try one yet? I played with them at shot show and they seemed good. I am an AR guy but want a few AKs without breaking the bank.  Imports are almost impossible to find in my area for under $1000
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 11:22:55 PM EDT
[#1]
My buddy got one when they were running the ar15+ak47 deal for 899. His is the MOE version if that matters.
No front sight cant.
Trigger is a tapco g2 iirc.

Fit and finish was good. Shot it next to my 2016 WASR.
Recoil was a little more with the PSA, but that could be due to the MOE shit.

We had to bring the front sight post down quite a bit at 50y to hit poi.
Other than that, you could not tell a difference between the two as far as accuracy.

The PSA had a shiny gloss black finish while my WASR has a flat black finish.

Also, the WASR has a chrome lined barrel. My example had a straight front sight.

Both functioned flawless.  Admittedly,  he only has about 60rds through his. I have about 1k through mine. Never a hiccup with either. Ymmv
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I’m a snob when it comes to AKs and I’ve strongly considered purchasing one. Rob Ski beat the shit out of one (as he always does with his 5,000 round gauntlet) and it faired very well. This is likely attributable to the fact that PSA bought out DDI and continues to employ their people and previous owner. It’s easily the best AK at the price point. I would run as fast as you can away from any Century Arms American made AKs.

Personally, if I purchased one of the PSAKs I’d sell the Magpul furniture and pick up some milsurp wood. You’d shave even more $$ off the rifle and have a more better AK.

Edited to add: There are still some very desireable combloc AKs around at a slightly higher price point. If I were you, I’d consider checking the EE and making an offer.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 9:55:03 AM EDT
[#3]
I have heard both sides with it. Some problems but not as many as the ras. Depending on your budget you could always go builder kit from Atlantic for near the same money. Their kits seem to hold up pretty well and I would take one of those over a psa personally. I was in a similar situation with a c39 that I put a couple thousand through with no issues that I could see. Rifle seemed to be running well with not terrible wear. Then I used a friends gauge and got a no go.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 5:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I couldn't pass up the deal, I ordered one last friday, it supposed to be here this coming monday.  It'll be my first AK personally, although I've been around them in the past.  It seems that the Gen2 with the billet internals get much better reviews than the Gen1's that everyone was up in arms over.  And rightfully so, it seems that from what I read that PSA was doing a little bait and switch on what they were advertising and what was actually coming in the AK as far as materials.  This could be a misunderstanding, as I've never thought PSA to be underhanded in their dealings with customers.

But for $500 and having the specs that they have it seems like a no brainer.  I purchased an ALK Ultimate trigger to put in it when it comes and 5 MOE AK Pmags.
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 8:53:46 PM EDT
[#5]
The "billet" trunnion has had a few bobbles...I think I'd spend a little more and go for the ol ugly WASR still.
Link Posted: 2/26/2018 11:54:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Well I finally got it today and noticed quite a bit of machining marks everywhere. I guess that's ok. Also the gas piston is firm. I always was told they should be a little wiggly but not sure.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 1:55:14 AM EDT
[#7]
A tight piston isn't the end of the world.
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/27/2018 10:47:14 AM EDT
[#9]
The piston on my SAR1 bolt carrier is as tight as Dick's hat-band. But it works fine.

I wouldn't worry about the machine/tool marks on the bolt-carrier; at least you know it was machined and not cast. All my AKs have that, except my Saigas. The Saigas have the cleanest and neatest fit, finish and machining of all my AKs.
Link Posted: 2/28/2018 6:54:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Ya the piston as no movement at all. If I run the bcg slowly it will hang up and stop. I have yet to shoot it and check function
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 8:41:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ya the piston as no movement at all. If I run the bcg slowly it will hang up and stop. I have yet to shoot it and check function
View Quote
Where does it hang? If I ride the bcg on it's return to battery it will stick at the one third mark, but I think that's the bolt making contact with the hammer. I didn't even know to check for pistol wiggle (wiggle while in the gas tube or wiggle in relation to it's connection to the bcg??) but I've got a couple hundred so far without issue so I'm not too worried. The big letdown for me was the fact that mine will NOT accept any of the Zastava BHO mags without grinding off a chunk of metal from the back of the mags. At the price point I don't think there's a better deal, unfortunately for me that low price comes packed with extra necessary labor.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I seriously want one, especially now that they made it clear these have a lifetime warranty.  I'm just too busy stacking cheap GT ammo from SGAmmo.com deeply in my closet and buying "blemished" optics (look perfect to me except for the "B" stamped on them) from PrimaryArms.com that I can't rationalize the cost of another rifle right now.
Link Posted: 3/1/2018 11:40:56 PM EDT
[#13]
@1911xdm, so it took about 2 weeks to get it in hand? I know PSA is slow as hell with shipping but maaaaaan!

Give us a “range report” once you get it out to function test.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 9:57:46 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
I have one of the DDI Hungarian built AKs. When I received mine, the piston was tight and the BCG would hang if I rode the handle.

Dont worry about it. After a few mags, the piston will have a little play in it.

The BCG is getting hung up on the G2 hammer- again not a big deal. If you want to check to make sure it the hammer and not something else, rack the gun, pull the trigger, and before you release the trigger to reset, charge the the gun again, this time riding the handle. You'll notice it wont get stuck. If you search around, you will see a lot of people have this issue. 3 things you can do. 1. Take a file and round the corners off to make it a bit more round. 2. Replace the factory recoil spring with the Wolf XP spring. 3. Just shoot it and it will fix itself.
Link Posted: 3/2/2018 11:16:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine came in 2 weeks ago and had it at the range last weekend.  It accepted every mag we threw at it (everything from Magpul to Chinese), functioned flawlessly, and was dead nuts accurate straight out of the box.  Buddy who's an AK guy was extremely impressed with the fit, finish, and features you get for $500.  He ordered one the same day.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 11:53:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
Don't worry about either...AK's are not meant to function slowly.  The piston being solid like you state is not an issue if it works.  Just take it out and blast it for a while and see how it does.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 7:42:22 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have one of the DDI Hungarian built AKs. When I received mine, the piston was tight and the BCG would hang if I rode the handle.

Dont worry about it. After a few mags, the piston will have a little play in it.

The BCG is getting hung up on the G2 hammer- again not a big deal. If you want to check to make sure it the hammer and not something else, rack the gun, pull the trigger, and before you release the trigger to reset, charge the the gun again, this time riding the handle. You'll notice it wont get stuck. If you search around, you will see a lot of people have this issue. 3 things you can do. 1. Take a file and round the corners off to make it a bit more round. 2. Replace the factory recoil spring with the Wolf XP spring. 3. Just shoot it and it will fix itself.
View Quote
I like #3...combloc polishing
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Alright I took it shooting yesterday. I shoot 100 rounds of wolf though it. All of it shot fine. Was a little high and right on the zero though. But I could hit a 18x18 steel plate at 200 yards with it easy though.
Magpul mags with the metal parts are super hard to get into it. I had to try for awhile before I could get it to lock in. Regular pmags were fine. No wobble on ether. I don't have any metal mags to try though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 7:38:16 PM EDT
[#19]
FWIW when the metal reinforced Magpul AK mags came out there were lots of complaints that they were bigger than the non-reinforced Magpul MOE mags. Magpul promised to remake the reinforced mags the same spec but I’m not sure they did.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 8:52:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Regular Eastern European, MOE Magpuls and the cheap Korean mags fit fine in mine. Yugos  don’t however and that isn’t specific to my PSA rifle. Tapcos also need filing, albeit much less than the Yugos.

It seems that the PSA guns are built to take regular Pmags which ship with the gun. If the steel reinforced Magpuls are thicker than the moes then that doesn’t surprise me that you have issues.

Hope you own a dremel.??
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 11:13:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I noticed the pmags get pretty beat up with normal use and that's not even dropping them
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 1:38:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Can anyone speak to which metal mags seem to work, work best, don’t work, etc. with the PSA AKs?
Link Posted: 3/7/2018 11:43:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By @ThePaintPirate :
Mine came in 2 weeks ago and had it at the range last weekend.  It accepted every mag we threw at it (everything from Magpul to Chinese), functioned flawlessly, and was dead nuts accurate straight out of the box.  Buddy who's an AK guy was extremely impressed with the fit, finish, and features you get for $500.  He ordered one the same day.
View Quote
How long did your’s take to come in after ordering it?
Link Posted: 3/8/2018 10:34:58 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Can anyone speak to which metal mags seem to work, work best, don’t work, etc. with the PSA AKs?
View Quote
Zastava BHO (and then by default Croats as well) will NOT fit without modification. APEX Gun Parts actually notes this on the product page as well so I know it's not just mine.

Korean and Hungarians work fine, so I'm pretty darn sure Romys E.German and any other combloc metal mags will work, just not the Yugo varieties.

eta: after modification all of my Zastava mags work great, so if you're not afraid to dremel/file for the cheap price it's an excellently built magazine with a bolt hold open feature. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#25]
Is this normal wear already? I only have about 150 rounds though this gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:52:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/IMG_7120-478599.JPG
View Quote
What does the bolt look like? It may be normal wear. I'm not experienced enough to say for sure, but my SAR1 has similar wear in the same area on the front trunion; maybe not quite as much as your PSAK but close.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 12:53:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Shot my buddies yesterday, 3 mags in. Broke the extractor....
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shot my buddies yesterday, 3 mags in. Broke the extractor....
View Quote
Good thing they have the life-time warranty.

A bit OT, but I remember years ago I bought a rebuilt starter motor for an old Chevy truck at an auto-parts store that had a life-time warranty. The starter would last a year or two and I'd have to remove it and exchange it for another one. The parts store honored the warranty, but it got old removing the starter and installing another one. Sometimes life-time warranties are not as good as they seem...
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Like a "good thing you have this warranty because you're going to need it" warranty on car parts.  Those are usually the ones that are "non-transferrable" so they hope you get tired of it breaking and sell it, so they no longer have to lose money on it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2018 6:09:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote
Is the metal peeling back or is it just finish wear?
Link Posted: 3/15/2018 4:30:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/16/2018 6:20:50 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
This happens on many AKs even from combloc factories. It's from the carrier pulling the bolt backwards before it has fully unlocked from battery and cleared the locking lugs. Will usually put a tiny bit of wear here on the upper edge of the lug and it will stop.

Won't happen on all AKs but most of mine have this same wear mark.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:04:21 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm almost 1000 rounds through mine and it's an absolute champ.  My bolt stuck a bit at first and it would have to be pushed a little to get into battery, but the gun broke in nicely and hasn't hiccuped on its steel diet.

<snip> Please start a new thread if you want to go off topic. Thanks, dryflash3
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#34]
I've only put 120 rounds through mine but they were all flawless.

My only concerns are the pin for the muzzle break only has pressure for half the travel. It still has full pressure at that point so it holds in the break just fine.

Also the front sight post was very tight, it broke my cheap Chinese tool while adjusting the elevation. Windage moved just fine. I bought the Magna-Matic AKFST and that made easy work of the front sight.

The gastube is also very tight but I'm sure if I shorten it a little it will fit just fine. Finally the mag catch spring is a little weak for me but I'm not worried about magazines falling out.

Other than those minor things the rest of the rifle has a very nice fit and finish. All the edges are smooth and doesn't cut in to my fingers or scratch my mags in the mag well.

The trigger is quite nicer than I expected. It is very smooth and not very heavy. It has a bit longer of travel than my ARs but it's not horrible.

Overall I'm very happy with it and would gladly buy a second one if given the chance.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 5:13:47 PM EDT
[#35]
A friend and I got blem barreled receivers at the same time.  We got the Moekov build kits to go with them.

Super tight front sight.
Magazine catch needed trimmed.
Gas tube needed shortened a small amount.

Both guns shoot well and haven't even hiccuped when firing.  Nothing seems to be wearing unduly fast.

I'm seriously considering a second one.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:38:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
A friend and I got blem barreled receivers at the same time.  We got the Moekov build kits to go with them.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4165/34644936805_c00d793b19_b.jpg

Super tight front sight.
Magazine catch needed trimmed.
Gas tube needed shortened a small amount.

Both guns shoot well and haven't even hiccuped when firing.  Nothing seems to be wearing unduly fast.

I'm seriously considering a second one.
View Quote
Interesting that you had 2 of the same issues I had. How is your muzzle brake pin?

I remember Rob Ski had the same issue with his AK that he tested.

What was wrong that made you trim the mag catch? All my magazines have clicked in fine. A bit of a weak click but not fitment issues.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 12:29:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Interesting that you had 2 of the same issues I had. How is your muzzle brake pin?

I remember Rob Ski had the same issue with his AK that he tested.

What was wrong that made you trim the mag catch? All my magazines have clicked in fine. A bit of a weak click but not fitment issues.
View Quote
The muzzle detent could use a longer, firmer spring.  The spring that's in there keeps the brake retained, but I'd prefer it to not be off the spring when it's all the way forward.

The rear lug on every magazine wouldn't clear the top of the latch.  A friend of ours has one of everything so we tried one of each.  The lug just didn't quite clear the catch so that it could come back and click.  It wasn't a huge amount of metal, but it was kind of clear that if it was test fired then PSA's test magazine has a really narrow rear lug.

Visually you could tell it was longer than a Yugo our friend brought over to prove his magazines were good and it was our guns that were the problem.

Once we took off maybe 0.010" they click over everything and firmly.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:29:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's the ejector and it should not have that wear, especially at a low round count.  This is the exact reason you stay far, far away from any AK made with 100% US parts.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 9:10:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

That's the ejector and it should not have that wear, especially at a low round count.  This is the exact reason you stay far, far away from any AK made with 100% US parts.
View Quote
So the ejector is on the right side of a PSA AK?  I guess they messed that up!

ETA, that was obviously a joke.  That is NOT the ejector.  It is on the wrong side of the receiver and way too close to the chamber.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 6:14:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Do we like the newer PSA AK's?

100% - hell no.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:27:13 PM EDT
[#41]
Just got back from the range, third time out with my PSAK and maybe 150-200 rounds, guess what?

Houston, we got a broken extractor!

It's crazy that these all break at roughly the exact same round count. I guess I'm happy it broke right away instead of, I don't know, in the middle of a 3 gun match or something. Now here's the question, do I opt for a replacement from PSA or go snatch a Hungarian or Bulgarian one instead?

Also, where can I buy an actual combloc extractor?
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 6:41:35 PM EDT
[#42]

My Liberty GB2 is fine.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:21:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Just got back from the range, third time out with my PSAK and maybe 150-200 rounds, guess what?

https://i.imgur.com/NinmY6k.jpg

Houston, we got a broken extractor!

It's crazy that these all break at roughly the exact same round count. I guess I'm happy it broke right away instead of, I don't know, in the middle of a 3 gun match or something. Now here's the question, do I opt for a replacement from PSA or go snatch a Hungarian or Bulgarian one instead?

Also, where can I buy an actual combloc extractor?
View Quote
Damn man mine broke right around 400 rounds too! Took PSA around a month to send me a new extractor too.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:12:02 PM EDT
[#44]
I wouldn't take a replacement extractor from PSA, I would order a NOS part from Apex or RTG. Lots of Polish NOS parts coming in nowadays.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:15:09 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I wouldn't take a replacement extractor from PSA, I would order a NOS part from Apex or RTG. Lots of Polish NOS parts coming in nowadays.
View Quote
I bought one from somewhere else since PSA took so long to send it. My PSA one is a backup now
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:54:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Great thread, I learned what I needed to know about these AKs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 7:59:30 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
Still a step above  Century arms
Link Posted: 5/29/2018 9:20:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's like being just a bit taller than Peter Dinklage.

When I buy a gun new in box, I don't want to have to expect it to be a project gun that breaks and needs work after a firing only a relative handful of rounds.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 7:21:46 AM EDT
[#49]
I've had my PSAK for over a year with probably 1100 - 1200 rounds down the pipe. I've not had one jam other than with a Croation mag that I took a little too much metal off modifying it. I junked the mag. The Ammo was all Golden Tiger from SGAmmo.
I installed an Ultimak rail on mine with a Bushnell TRS25 red dot. We pop soda cans with it consistently at 50 to 100 yards. By we, anybody I let shoot it from nephews and nieces to friends.
The PSAK is a very good AK IMO.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Regardless of the extractor issue I still like mine fwiw. While not really excusable, especially with the frequency of buyers having the same issue, it is a very simple fix and, so long as nothing else goes on the rifle, is still a great bargain at 499.

The one other idiosyncrasy that these PSAKs all share is a tight mag well. I have to dremel every Serb mag I got, even the tapco's need a little filing to get them to seat. Regular combloc, korean and moes fit just fine. Just an FYI for anyone who's reading this thread and possibly wants to buy one.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top