Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2022 3:32:32 PM EDT
Not the duckbill mags, but the Chinese SKSs that came in natively taking AK mags.  Can you charge those mags from stripper clips w/ the mag on the rifle?
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:06:13 PM EDT
[#1]
My sporter isn't milled with a guide like a normal sks, I'm not sure about the others.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:14:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I did read that spetnaz would load ak mags from strippers without a guide, so it might be possible.
I'll give it a shot this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:15:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Inimicalone:  My sporter isn't milled with a guide like a normal sks, I'm not sure about the others.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Inimicalone:  My sporter isn't milled with a guide like a normal sks, I'm not sure about the others.

Interesting.  Wonder if it would accept a standard SKS bolt?  I'm guessing the AK mag won't force the bolt to lock open when empty.

Originally Posted By Inimicalone:  I did read that spetnaz would load ak mags from strippers without a guide, so it might be possible.
I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Watch yer fingers!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
Not the duckbill mags, but the Chinese SKSs that came in natively taking AK mags.  Can you charge those mags from stripper clips w/ the mag on the rifle?
View Quote

It's been a LONG LONG Time.

If I remember right, it depended on how it was converted.

Some of them had a special hold open button that held the bolt back even if the magazine was out of the rifle.

Other (pretty sure they were importers conversions) the follower of the AK mag held the bolt back when empty.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific but it's been a LONG time since I saw a SKS "D" model...

Bigger_Hammer

Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:31:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Interesting.  Wonder if it would accept a standard SKS bolt?  I'm guessing the AK mag won't force the bolt to lock open when empty.

Watch yer fingers!
View Quote

If I'm doing it right the stripper clip should save me!
Link Posted: 11/2/2022 5:32:46 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll try swapping the bolt too, I've got a couple to choose from...
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:17:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#7]
My Sporter will work with stripper clips but the carrier wasn't Milled with a cutout, I ended up buying an Albanian bolt carrier with the AK style hook charging handle that had the slot milled and no serial number to replace the factory and it works great. I kept the original carrier, and it will go back in the gun if I ever part with it but I probably won't ever get rid of it, you have to hold the bolt back and charge at the same time but it does work.
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:20:30 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the info hipshot!
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:21:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By HipSh0T:
My Sporter will work with stripper clips but the carrier wasn't Milled with a cutout, I ended up buying an Albanian bolt carrier with the AK style hook charging handle that had the slot milled and no serial number to replace the factory and it works great. I kept the original carrier, and it will go back in the gun if I ever part with it but I probably won't ever get rid of it, you have to hold the bolt back and charge at the same time but it does work.
View Quote

Cheers!  Pics?
Link Posted: 11/3/2022 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Cheers!  Pics?
View All Quotes

Cheers!  Pics?

I can take some when I get home
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 8:59:36 AM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

I also bought one of the non numbered Albanian bolt carriers when they were available like ten years ago. I think I gave $20 for it new in the paper wrapper.
Link Posted: 11/24/2022 6:53:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By kcray:

I also bought one of the non numbered Albanian bolt carriers when they were available like ten years ago. I think I gave $20 for it new in the paper wrapper.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By kcray:

I got mine from Aim Surplus for $29.99 brand new in the paper wrapper somewhere around 2007- 2008, that's probably where you got yours from.
Link Posted: 5/27/2023 11:29:30 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Bigger_Hammer:

It's been a LONG LONG Time.

If I remember right, it depended on how it was converted.

Some of them had a special hold open button that held the bolt back even if the magazine was out of the rifle.

Other (pretty sure they were importers conversions) the follower of the AK mag held the bolt back when empty.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific but it's been a LONG time since I saw a SKS "D" model...

Bigger_Hammer

those are extremely rare , ive never seen one other than pictures

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:47:49 PM EDT
[#14]
My SKS D carrier is milled for stripper clips.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By RCRTR:
My SKS D carrier is milled for stripper clips.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
View Quote

It also has a bayonet and regular SKS stock. The models with thumbhole or monte carlo style stocks didn't have any of those features.

AIRBORNE!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 5:21:20 PM EDT
[#16]
Seemed like a few of mine were, i had a couple m's and d's.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top