Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/5/2018 12:04:22 PM EDT
What would you say are some of the more collectible ak variants? Looking to get a little more rare models to add to my collection. I’ve got a Valmet m76w coming, but want to add more already.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 1:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Poly tech legends, any Norinco rifle for that matter. The Finnish varity, the Egyptian maadi, the actual Russian rifles. I'm sure someone will come along and add more to the list
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Anything pre 1989 ban will be collectible: PolyTech, Norince, Valmet, Galil, Steyr Maadi, Hungarian, etc. And the way it's looking the SLG series is becoming collectible
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 2:52:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the responses guys!
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 3:05:13 PM EDT
[#4]
SA-M7 Classic

Arsenal SGL 31-84 Legion

Polytech AKS-762

Molot VEPR IV RPK side folder

Link Posted: 5/5/2018 5:54:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Anything pre-89
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:53:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Zastava M90np....M77..TGI FEG AMD65....SGL 21/31 and many more.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#7]
SAR 1,2, and 3
Original factory Romanian AKMs
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:09:05 PM EDT
[#8]
In time...all of them except the ones we know as sub par.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Poly tech legends, any Norinco rifle for that matter. The Finnish varity, the Egyptian maadi, the actual Russian rifles. I'm sure someone will come along and add more to the list
View Quote
Maybe, however no rifle from China (PolyTech) will ever be in my collection.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:15:33 AM EDT
[#10]
I don’t think we’re too far off from any AK assembled in an overseas factory that also produces military rifles being collectible.  What’s left now, a trickle of Bulgarian guns, with basic Romanian and Yugo variants making the bulk of the foreign ones?

The banned-for-import stuff in pre-89 and sanctioned categories will always fetch higher values given relative scarcity, but heck, even a well-built matching-numbers kit gun with an original barrel is going to be valuable someday.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:53:58 AM EDT
[#11]
Little thing I wrote up a while back:

The go-to AK in modern times is understandably the Romanian WASR churned out in Cugir, and for good reason. It has been refined over the years (early examples were rifles with canted sights and a myriad of nightmarish QC issues) and the price is right. It has become an excellent entry-level AK that has started many enthusiasts on their way to becoming an AK fanatic. The performance is excellent for the money and availability plays a part too.

But what about those who want to take the next step or start a full-on AK collection? Well, hopefully this guide helps those looking to round out their collection with what would be considered a premium AK among collectors. As something of an enthusiast myself I thought I might try to help to the best of my ability.

So what is a pre-89 AK? In short, the supply of imported "non-sporting" rifles was cut off in 1989 due to US government crap (the intricacies of which are not important here). AKs were actually a large part of why this happened. The 1980s were a golden age for military style semi-autos as there were no restrictions at all on their importation. No 922r or anything like that to screw up your configuration or add sub-par parts.

The first AK imported was the Valmet M62s. I personally consider this to be the finest AK money can buy, but they are rare. Like 200 imported with the FDF furniture rare. They simply didn't sell because in the mid 1960s 7.62x39 was VERY rare in the USA (it had to be made or ordered from specialty outlets) and the market for military style rifles was very small. The SP1 even sold slowly. If you see an M62s for sale under $4,000 and you have the cash, I would say buy. No more can be imported, and even the Finns stopped production in the 1980s. Valmet continued to make guns for the US market and all are high quality. The M71, M78s, and M76s are all fine guns, but much less sought after due to having no real military counterparts. They were commercial guns (well made, but less desireable and less rare).

AKMs started trickling in a few decades later. The AK was well known now in the USA by Vietnam vets and the general public thanks to the movies and TV. People saw military style semi autos in stores in the 80s and they were becoming more commonly accepted. The Egyptian MAADI was brought in by, of all people, Steyr in 1981 and it was a disaster. To say they misjudged the market would be an understatement (classic Steyr) and the 2,500 they brought in took years to sell despite an advertising push. As far as AKMs in the USA, the MAADI is the closest you can get to a Russian AKM. But how, it's Egyptian? Well, they were built on Russian tooling set-up by guys from Izmash when Egypt was more aligned with the USSR. Unlike the Type 56, the receiver is 1mm thick, the barrel is the correct profile, the handguards have a palm swell, and so on. If you want an absolutely correct AKM (semi auto) the MAADI is arguably the best. I don't have one, but I have lusted after them for years.

Of course you can't discuss pre-bans without Chinese guns coming in to play. In '82 or so, American companies started bringing in Stamped Type 56 rifles made in Chinese military factories (the same lines that made military rifles). They were extremely well-made rifles and coveted among collectors these days. Back in the 1980s they were seen as entry-level (ironically) because of the Valmets, MAADIs, Mitchell Yugos, Kassnars, etc., but they sold VERY well (in fact, well over a million were imported by over a dozen importers). Most were priced at about $300 which was less than half that of the competition, and they are reasonably common today. Prices vary a lot based on importers, but $1500-$3500 is the typical range. Your basic type 56 can be found for cheaper than a milled, pristine Polytech Legend.

The Type 56 is an odd beast. The 1.5mm thick receiver and heavier barrel make them an puzzling mix of AK and AKM, but they are excellent and indestructible. For the money, I think the stamped Chinese pre-bans are the best blend of shootability and collectibility.

The last category of pre-bans are a mix of guns that seem to be in an odd place. Hungarian Kassnar rifles, Yugo Mitchells, and Galils (which I wasn't sure whether to include or not). To be honest I don't have a firm grasp on pricing when it comes to these, but the yugos and Kassnars seem to attract mostly advanced collectors who have well rounded collections. Should you buy one? Yes. Any pre-ban is going to be well made and command a premium, but I would only go for it if I had a Chinese stamped gun first. If anyone has a Kassnar or pre-ban Mitchell, please post your experiences.

So that brings us to the modern era (I'm skipping over the post-89 thumb hole guns and neutered AWB stuff which is a mixed bag of crap and "actually pretty decent", but with little value as a collector's piece).

This is a harder category to assess (because the jury is still out on what is the most collectible) but so far the most desirable for both performance and collectibility would be the Arsenal SGL rifles. People were and are willing to pay a premium for a Russian rifle, even it it was converted from a sporting configuration with a smattering of American parts. Folding SGL-31s bring the most money, but SGL-21s are expensive as well. They are damn good, and Arsenal did a great job converting the Saigas.

Next would be the VEPR rifles. I like them quite a lot, but I have always thought they were a bit odd. 16" barrels and RPK receivers just seemed strange, and with no homologous military offering I never cared much for them (I would have bought one in full RPK74 configuration). Does this mean they are bad? Absolutely not! Just that collectors would probably opt for the SGL.

Bulgarian SLR rifles are also a huge hit. They are great and as good as the SGL rifles in my opinion but again, Russian rifles are banned... and Russian so the premium is there. As a shooter, I wouldn't care which rifle I had in my hands. Don't hesitate to buy if you want a premium shooter with warranty and support.

As for US custom builds like Krebs or rifle dynamics? Well, they have no collector value (at this time) and are expensive out of the gate, but shoot well. If you want one then buy one for you to enjoy, not with the idea that you'll be able to retire off of it one day. These are often well tuned rifles made for people to compete with or take on a dozen commie-ninjas while protecting the President. I wouldn't say they are bad rifles, but buy from a reputable builder and not some guy who was recommended to you by the fat dude who sells stun guns at the back of the local gun show.

That about does it I think. Are there other guns in the modern era that are worthy of making this list? Yes, certainly there are but the ones I added are rifles that are already seeing an uptick as far as desirability. Who knows what the future holds.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
A one of a kind built in a chicken coop by the Goochie Goo for the first ARFCOM raffle gun?

TYPE2.../thread

Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:37:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
(I'm skipping over the post-89 thumb hole guns and neutered AWB stuff which is a mixed bag of crap and "actually pretty decent", but with little value as a collector's piece).
View Quote
Can you elaborate on this? Is it little value because of the sheer numbers that are out there? And what was crap about (some) of the MAK's? I just got a straight cut and it looks like the front sight is somewhat canted, I hope this isn't indicative of the rest of the build quality.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:15:18 AM EDT
[#14]
When I was coming up into the gun game, AKs of all descriptions were considered cheap junk or "working man's" guns that were affordable, fun pieces to waste a cheap case of East German steel core with. ARs were the highly collectible, expensive guns that you didn't see very often.

Now, my world has turned upside down. I can build a fair to middlin' AR for around $400 and my cheap ass Chinese rifles are worth insane money.

I still love going to gun shows and seeing the word "RARE" plastered all over the Century WASRs and occasional Maadi MISR-SA.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Can you elaborate on this? Is it little value because of the sheer numbers that are out there? And what was crap about (some) of the MAK's? I just got a straight cut and it looks like the front sight is somewhat canted, I hope this isn't indicative of the rest of the build quality.
View Quote
Not sure how you got my name on that snippet since it wasn't my post, but I would surmise his point was it's a mix of sometimes dubious quality, the sheer numbers, and the fact that "restoring" them to a correct configuration makes them unoriginal.

I disagree somewhat with the assertion they aren't collectable, and they certainly have value.  My belief is a good quality AK-type rifle with an original foreign barrel and foreign receiver will always have a degree of desirability.  I love the AWB-era Romanian SAR series for example, and the $250 rifle from 2003 is worth double to triple that price now.  But I'm not an AK snob outside of disliking the crap coming out of US manufacturers now.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A one of a kind built in a chicken coop by the Goochie Goo for the first ARFCOM raffle gun?
https://i.imgur.com/FxqMbXX.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/YqwWPcV.jpg

TYPE2.../thread

https://i.imgur.com/YVj8Luy.jpg
View Quote
Gooch!  That brought back some memories.
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:44:44 AM EDT
[#17]
Polytech 56s-2
Not mine but mine looks similar.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Zastava M90np....M77..TGI FEG AMD65....SGL 21/31 and many more.
View Quote

Love mine.
Link Posted: 5/31/2018 11:29:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I'll be poor with my uncollectable Arsenal SLR 105
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top