Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2019 1:11:39 PM EDT
Hi, all!  Classic Firearms has Type 56 rifles in stock.  I always wanted an SKS, none of the places around here have any for the price Classic wants, so I bought one.  For the benefit of anyone thinking of buying one, and for the interest of those who just want to see what's coming from Classic, I'll post pictures here.

Feel free to comment or post any notes.  Just don't bother saying "you paid too much" or "you should have bought an AR for that price!".  I knew what I was buying, could afford it, and I wanted it, so I bought it.

Anyhow, first 2 pics.  I can't bring it home today, but I did walk over to my FFL and we unwrapped it enough for these.  I'll bring it home and get more pics tomorrow.  So far the wood's in pretty good shape with a few dings.  Something odd about that sling attachment, doesn't look quite right.  The sling itself was cut off and an inch of cosmoline soaked fabric is sitting there.

Link Posted: 3/22/2019 7:39:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve read some threads on this batch. General consensus was these are Albanian rifles turned in during the ‘Vietnam era’. Not actually used in the Vietnam war. Hopefully you got a good shooter.
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 8:12:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Numbers match?
Link Posted: 3/22/2019 9:03:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Look forward to seeing it all cleaned up.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Picked it up this morning.  No time right now except to take a rag to some of the cosmoline while I look for markings.  Hopefully I can break it down and start really cleaning it tomorrow night while the wife unit watches basketball.

Notes so far:

1).  Serial #'s match.
2).  That's a WHOLE lot of cosmoline.
3).  What the heck is up with that sling attachment?  It looks like the original broke and it was replaced with one of those cheap metal bits you hang curtain rods from, and it's just nailed in.  That's going to have to go.

Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:03:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you own a heat gun?
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you own a heat gun
View Quote
I dont... for sweating out the cosmoline?  Might be time to get one.
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:26:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Do you own a heat gun
Search YouTube "heat gun cosmoline removal".
Link Posted: 3/23/2019 6:33:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Simple Green for Cosmoline.
Link Posted: 3/24/2019 9:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Forgot to get mineral spirits while I was out but I was eager to get started so I took it apart today, and wrapped the stock in rags and put it in my attack to sweat out some cosmoline.  i'll start cleaning the metal bits tomorrow.

Check out that weird bit of metal that was nailed into the stock to hold the sling on.

Is the gas tube supposed to come out of the handguard?

Link Posted: 3/24/2019 10:49:13 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes.

I had to do some fitting and refinishing when I was un-bubba-ing mine.

Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:29:53 AM EDT
[#11]
You can get replacement pins off ebay for the ones that hold the metal caps (ferrules?) for cheap. I think I got a 5 pack shipped for $10.
I only had to remove mine once and was able to reuse the same pin. It's simple but use caution as the end caps seem to be hard to come by, although a complete replacement handguard/gas tube assembly can be found.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 12:34:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Forgot to get mineral spirits while I was out but I was eager to get started so I took it apart today, and wrapped the stock in rags and put it in my attack to sweat out some cosmoline.  i'll start cleaning the metal bits tomorrow.

Check out that weird bit of metal that was nailed into the stock to hold the sling on.

Is the gas tube supposed to come out of the handguard?

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/82404/z1fmbqro-889343.jpg
View Quote
Sling mount

I have some manuals also if you need one http://www.drzero.org/ak1/
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 2:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Sling mount

I have some manuals also if you need one http://www.drzero.org/ak1/
View Quote
Thanks, man!  I'd like to buy some stripper clips at the same time I buy the sling swivel, but that website's sold out.  Anyone know where I can get some that aren't crap?
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 9:25:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Cant quite tell from the pics, is the stock numbered? Yours looks alot like the one I just got, also from classic. Serial # 1513145 all matching metal with an Albanian beech replacement stock.
Link Posted: 3/27/2019 11:10:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Cant quite tell from the pics, is the stock numbered? Yours looks alot like the one I just got, also from classic. Serial # 1513145 all matching metal with an Albanian beech replacement stock.
View Quote
No number on stock... does that mean it's a replacement?
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:04:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Yes, most likely. Looks like a beech wood Albanian replacement stock. Chinese stock should be numbered.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 7:18:56 AM EDT
[#17]
i got one too, ill post pics while cleaning it today
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Thanks, man!  I'd like to buy some stripper clips at the same time I buy the sling swivel, but that website's sold out.  Anyone know where I can get some that aren't crap?
View Quote
Happy to help!

I have not looked for them separate from the ammo to tell the truth so I was kinda surprised there was so many issues with some of them.
A quick check and I found some interesting information on stripperclip.com seems the Yugo and Czech are better options now days unless you can find some surplus Chinese.

Here is a image that explains some and a link to the site.

https://stripperclip.com/index.m.html

J&G sales has some listed but I don't know the origin J&G Sales

There are comments online that some new ones are NC Star brand and are hit or miss with more tending to the miss, might want to just ask around at the range I see folks toss them all the time they may save them for you.

Edit to add: desertfox has them just not the Russian ones they look to be modern Chinese.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:36:58 AM EDT
[#19]
NSTAR are crap ill give the ones i brought they are useless

Get the ones on ebay from the guy in Chec.

The bnx ones work really good.. That is what he sells..

They take about 4-6 weeks to come in but they work great.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 10:50:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
NSTAR are crap ill give the ones i brought they are useless

Get the ones on ebay from the guy in Chec.

The bnx ones work really good.. That is what he sells..

They take about 4-6 weeks to come in but they work great.
View Quote
Got a link?  Most of the ones on Ebay are listed as being "new" and are probably the bad NCSTAR ones.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:21:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Got mine mostly clean with mineral spirits, gonna soak them in boiling water and scrub down with mineral spirits again.

Holly shit cosmoline lol, I had a Chinese sks a little while back and had to de cosmoline that one too, this is probably 2x as much.

Mine is a hand select with the milled trigger guard and it's in half decent shape considering , it appears to be all numbers matching too.  I'll post some pics, taking a break for lunch at the local pub lol.
Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:33:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Got mine mostly clean with mineral spirits, gonna soak them in boiling water and scrub down with mineral spirits again.

Holly shit cosmoline lol, I had a Chinese sks a little while back and had to de cosmoline that one too, this is probably 2x as much.

Mine is a hand select with the milled trigger guard and it's in half decent shape considering , it appears to be all numbers matching too.  I'll post some pics, taking a break for lunch at the local pub lol.
View Quote
I had a toothpaste squirt of cosmoline out of my barrel when I ran a rod down it during disassembly.  Haven't had time to work on cleaning it, hoping to on Saturday.

Link Posted: 3/28/2019 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I had a toothpaste squirt of cosmoline out of my barrel when I ran a rod down it during disassembly.  Haven't had time to work on cleaning it, hoping to on Saturday.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/82404/dtiqjqb7-889360.jpg
View Quote
I know the stuff preserves but damn lol.  I poured mineral spirits down the barrel and used a cleaning rod to get it all out.  I also need to take the bolt all appart I get paranoid about a slam fire
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 6:30:44 PM EDT
[#25]
1 quart of paint thinner, 1 can of brake cleaner, one old sponge and half a roll of paper towels, and 90 minutes later:

that's my second pan of paint thinner, all of that gunk came out of the barrel and receiver.  All looks good except that butt plate.  That rust must have been on there pre-cosmoline.  Going to work on the stock later tonight.
Link Posted: 4/1/2019 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Final pic, all cleaned up.  Did notice a big crack in the bottom of the stock, probably going to replace eventually.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 9:51:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Just saw this post and I'm late to the party as usual. been buying and shooting surplus Enfields, Mosins and SKSs as well as AKs, for 50 years. In Miami, I used to lay my rifles on the patio for a couple of hours in the sun when I got them home. The heat got to the whole gun all at once and YUP! Big cosmoline turd on the newspaper every time. My wife flipped out the first time she saw it on the newspaper. I still will take my old milsurps at least once apiece every summer and lay them on the pavement or patio here in middle Georgia. Nothing like a 500 degree Georgia afternoon to bleed residual cosmoline out. And trust me it will still be coming out for time to come. But another benefit is the knowledge you get taking these fine old weapons apart and bringing them back. You've done a great job and learned a lot. Pass it on brother and enjoy shooting her!! You deserve it...
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top