Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2021 7:02:34 AM EDT
I’ve got a registered Polytech AKS223, but I’m having trouble locating magazines. Any chance there’s other 223 mags that work for it? I recently heard Zastava is releasing 223 AKs and magazines now.

If push comes to shove, I may just send mine to get converted to 7.62x39 and convert the underfolder to a fixed stock.
Link Posted: 7/22/2021 10:43:31 PM EDT
[#1]
They are always on gun broker but they are not cheap.  $100-$200 per mag.

I'm assuming Norinco 84S mags would work but I am not completely sure on that.  I think you'd have to do a little filing of tab which is not attractive for a $200 mag.

These existed at one time, maybe you can find some somewhere:

https://www.gunclips.net/poaks233gunm.html

I have a Bulgarian AK-74 converted to 5.56 and there a plenty of 5.56 magazines for around $20ea.  If you want to go really cheap you could go with a promag:

https://www.circle10ak.com/product/promag-ak-a5-30-round-magazine-5-56x45mm-nato/

Cheap enough to destroy with a file at $10ea

Link Posted: 7/23/2021 9:16:21 AM EDT
[#2]
My dad had this problem with 84s magazines.  Solution: He found that promag .223 mags worked flawlessly with some minor filing.  Yes, promag.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:06:24 PM EDT
[#3]
I have read that the AC Unity mags work, but only one way to find out. Even if they have to be modded a tiny bit they are inexpensive and much better made than the Promags. I tried a Promag in my Saiga and just lightly hitting the mag while inserted snapped off the front tab. AC Unity mags have reinforced tabs.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel lucky, I was able to buy around 30 of them for cheap.  an NFA dealer was going out of business, and called me up
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 6:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
pro mags will work but you,ll have to file them to fit a little bit.  Even the proper chinese mags sometimes will need to be altered to fit the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/23/2021 10:54:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:29:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmm I was told 84s magazines don’t work for the AKS223.
Link Posted: 8/1/2021 8:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm I was told 84s magazines don’t work for the AKS223.
View Quote

The norinco and polytech .223 guns use a different mag.  Both are rare but the polytech mag is harder to find.  I had a norinco .223 underfolder that I sold a long time ago.  The mag problem was the main reason.  One of the few guns I have sold over the years and glad I did.  Believe it or not, but back then it was actually easier to get factory Valmet .223 mags (in the north east anyway).

Today there are much more options for converting other 5.56 and .223 mags from different sources.  30 years ago not so much.  Back then I tried to use very cheap (at the time almost free) 5.45 east german AK74 mags for the conversion.  I got them to fit but the didnt feed great and didnt hold 30 rounds (obviously).  Still have the mags somewhere as they are paper weights now.  If you source an inexpensive euro 5.56 /  .223 mag I would think you could convert with patience and a dremel / file.  YMMV.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top