Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/4/2022 11:59:53 AM EDT
I have 5 kits I purchased 15 years ago. 2x Tantals, 2x Polish UFs and a stupid Romy w a dong. Last time I considered putting them together nodak was the go to receiver. Now I see there were rust issues in the hardening process. So...

Are all three receivers GTG? Is one seen as far superior to the others? Hurry up with answers I feel the need to spend money! :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 1:54:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoMoAMMO] [#1]
I can only speak for Childers as that is the only of those 3 I have used and I have had zero issues with any of them. Still have 10 more sitting and waiting
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:19:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I’ve used all 3. Recreator is the most accurate, followed by Childers, then Morrissey.. the recreator is the most expensive, then Childers, which are very good, followed by the Morrisey which are good receivers and happen to be the cheapest.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:22:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Childers also has slotted rails.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 4:31:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuddyChryst] [#4]
Small sample size for me. First build was a UF Yugo on an NDS, when they had the rust issues. That was a long time ago. Other than it needing a blast and black oxide treatment, it built well. Only real problem I had was the rear trunnion fit. The little rails were too thick and long, needed a fair bit of work to get them to fit.

Just built a Romy on a Childers. I think the NDS was more hardened as I could barely dimple for the swell necks. Childers took it better. But also flexed more, which made my rear trunnion holes off and some egging was needed. The stock tang needed a LOT of filing and still could use a bit more. Like the bend at the bottom was a bit narrow. I was worried about rail jumping, cuz it’ll bind at the rear when hand cycled (not the hammer), but I ran through about 100 rounds on my test firing without a hitch.

I have another Childers for an M72. Dunno yet on that one.

If I was going to buy one right now, I’d probably try the Recreator.

ETA: the NDS didn’t come with selector notches or marking, the Childers did. See below for finished products.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoMoAMMO:
Childers also has slotted rails.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/13/2023 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
I prefer Childer's, but no real reason. Likely because I'm familiar with them and am not building perfect recreations of factory guns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 12:33:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bye_Felicia:
I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.
I prefer Childer's, but no real reason. Likely because I'm familiar with them and am not building perfect recreations of factory guns.
View Quote

I STILL have 5 kits (olden days w barrels) I NEED to build...but I keep buying guns.
Link Posted: 2/18/2023 5:35:16 PM EDT
[#8]
I need to buy one since I have a full Hungarian underfolder assembly. Not sure who to buy from though
Link Posted: 3/14/2023 7:10:27 PM EDT
[#9]
I can attest to the accuracy of the Recreator receivers in terms of fitment, followed by the Childers... have not used any others yet.

The one thing I didn't like about the Childers was the fact that they were/are excessively hard, like cobalt bits have a hard time going through them!!

The Recreator ones seem to have the same amount of hardening that a factory Romy or Yugo cut receiver stub has, which is that a sharp high speed steel bit goes through with some difficulty, but a cobalt one goes through with relative ease.
Link Posted: 3/15/2023 8:01:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By k75zracer:
I can attest to the accuracy of the Recreator receivers in terms of fitment, followed by the Childers... have not used any others yet.

The one thing I didn't like about the Childers was the fact that they were/are excessively hard, like cobalt bits have a hard time going through them!!

The Recreator ones seem to have the same amount of hardening that a factory Romy or Yugo cut receiver stub has, which is that a sharp high speed steel bit goes through with some difficulty, but a cobalt one goes through with relative ease.
View Quote

I had one childers from 7 years ago like that. Couldn't drill through it for shit. every one since then has been fine though.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top