Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2022 2:34:36 PM EDT
Got carbon accumulation on my gas piston and inside the flash suppressor.   After soaking in Hoppes #9 and KG-1, elbow grease with soft metal brushes & fine steel wool, it's not coming off.   Would Slip 2000 Carbon Killer work any better?
Link Posted: 1/10/2022 5:17:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#1]
MPro-7

The carbon buildup inside the LID of my suppressor was tough, but it got it done. Brass brush is mangled.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 12:10:09 AM EDT
[#2]
Spray with a carb cleaner or gun scrubber then hit it with a brass brush - if no corrosion etc. dont worry about it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2022 8:09:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I had fits trying to get carbon out of my AK-74 chrome lined muzzle brake.
I tried soaking with Hoppe's #9 and Slip 2000 Carbon Killer with very poor results with either.
I packed the brake full of paper towel and liberally soaked the paper towel then let it stand, sometimes for several days but the brake and gas block were still black.

One day I was out of Hoppe's so I tried Shooter's Choice Extra Strong Copper Remover.
I was amazed that the carbon was removed down to the hard chrome quickly.
I used some inside the chrome lined gas block with the same excellent results, so that's what I use.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Try spraying it heavy with some Ballistol and let it sit for a while.  Hit it with a good brush (optional) should clean right up.
I did this with a stripped ar bolt,  put the pieces in a "solo" cup and sprayed it good with ballistol let it sit overnight.   Actually, just rinsed it off with steaming hot water the next day and it was clean, very clean. Not a bit of carbon left on it, the bottom of the cup looked like you drained some well used oil...nasty black mess.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 9:31:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By longshot:
Try spraying it heavy with some Ballistol and let it sit for a while.  Hit it with a good brush (optional) should clean right up.
I did this with a stripped ar bolt,  put the pieces in a "solo" cup and sprayed it good with ballistol let it sit overnight.   Actually, just rinsed it off with steaming hot water the next day and it was clean, very clean. Not a bit of carbon left on it, the bottom of the cup looked like you drained some well used oil...nasty black mess.
View Quote

I’ve actually had great results with Balistol too on carbon.  I use green nylon pads on chromed gas pistons.
Link Posted: 12/18/2022 9:27:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks I have some Balistol will try it
Page AK-47 » Maintenance & Cleaning
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top