Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2021 11:19:40 AM EDT
I've got a few 7.62x39 cans in storage I've avoided opening...

I realize the ammo is more than likely good to go, but sometimes my paranoia gets the better of me.

Has anyone ever opened a can to find the ammo was bad, corroded or something?  
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Your ammo is fine.

The sealed cans can sit out in the desert or in a wet environment and as long as they're sealed, the ammo is GTG.

ETA-Some people mistake tarnish for corrosion. Just because a round isn't pretty doesn't mean it's bad.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I've got a few 7.62x39 cans in storage I've avoided opening...

I realize the ammo is more than likely good to go, but sometimes my paranoia gets the better of me.

Has anyone ever opened a can to find the ammo was bad, corroded or something?  
View Quote

Not with 7.62x39…. But with some 7.62x25. Some was corroded and cracked at the throat. Some not all. The ammo had a hard life. It was in a can for more than 60years in who know what conditions.

ETA - I still shot it and it was fine.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 12:12:34 PM EDT
[#3]
If your cans are sealed then you are good to go.

Just over a year ago a friend gave me a tin of 7.62x39 that had not been stored well.

One corner of the tin came into contact with dirt that apparently got wet on occassion.

The tin rusted through.

Some - but not all - of the lacquered steel case 7.62x39 inside rusted due to water exposure and ambient humidity.

I've been slowly going through the boxes separating the intact rounds from the rusted rounds. Intact rounds go into an ammo can. I still have 15 or so 20 round boxes I haven't opened.

The few rounds with rust typically have light rust. I've been using a fine file to file those spots to bare metal. These rounds go into another can.

I've found maybe 20 rounds that were rusted so badly that its not worth bothering with them.

This will be ammo I use for function testing and range practice. Or malfunction drills.
Link Posted: 8/30/2021 10:20:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a guys Y2K stash he was selling it was 1,000 rounds of 7.62x39 in .50 cans one can had water intrusion and the rounds on the bottom were crusty.  All but 3 went off even the rusty ones shot. They were stored in a basement and he had some flooding
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top