Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 5/20/2020 4:48:07 PM EDT
Hi,

I stumbled across this CDNN ad. Near as I can tell these have steel lined feed lips and lugs. Anyone have any experience with these mags?

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ak-762x39-30rd-bulgarian-steel-reinforced-lips-mag-28708.html#.XsWPvMBOnIV
Link Posted: 5/20/2020 8:06:41 PM EDT
[#1]
At that price, I wouldn't bother, you can get steel mags for a dollar more.
Link Posted: 5/21/2020 8:27:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At that price, I wouldn't bother, you can get steel mags for a dollar more.
View Quote
I got many steel mags. I'm hoping to get durable but lighter weight mags for defensive ammo. I like to use different mags for the good stuff so I can easily tell it apart.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 3:31:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#4]
These mags are solid.

Front and rear locking lug.  I believe the lips are reinforced as well.

They've been my primary training mags for the past three months.  I very much like them and appreciate them as they are significantly lighter than my steel mags and there are no sharp edges.

Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 3:14:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I know you like analysis so lets look at it systematically.

The chance that you will ever use an AK mag "tactically" is about .0000001.  The chance one of those mags will fail?  Probably about .001.  Multiply the two and get .000000001.  

Buy with confidence.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I know you like analysis so lets look at it systematically.

The chance that you will ever use an AK mag "tactically" is about .0000001.  The chance one of those mags will fail?  Probably about .001.  Multiply the two and get .000000001.  

Buy with confidence.
View Quote

I've heard rumors these mags don't have metal locking lugs, but the sale page says they do. I guess I can buy two, eat the shipping, and see if they're worth a damn.
Link Posted: 5/26/2020 9:54:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've heard rumors these mags don't have metal locking lugs, but the sale page says they do.
View Quote

There are two versions of these Bulgarian commercial polymer mags. One just has plastic locking lugs and sells for around $10-$11 usually. I think it may have steel reinforcements in the feedlips, but it’s been a while since I looked at one. The version you linked to from CDNN has steel reinforcements on the lugs, but they are like a thin steel overlay - the rear lug is still plastic, not solid steel like a Circle 10 or Magpul M3 mag. You can see the metal overlay pieces in the picture in Gun Mag Warehouse’s product listing, called out kind of like a parts diagram:

Bulgarian AK-47 7.62x39mm 30-Round Reinforced Steel Lug Polymer Magazine

Note that the GMW listing says “steel reinforced,” not “steel insert” and “steel rear tab” like the CDNN listing. I’m pretty sure they are the same mag, and I think the CDNN listing is a little misleading. Just make sure you know which version you’re buying. I wouldn’t recommend the plastic tab version. I used a couple of the steel reinforced version at the range, and they lock up and feed just find, but I’d rather use a surplus steel or Circle 10 mag for defensive purposes.
Link Posted: 5/27/2020 10:15:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have about a dozen of the mags in question from CDNN, they run great in my Palmetto GF3, never a malfunction, a couple thousand rounds down range in those by now.  Possibly not appropriate for invading a foreign country or going to war against the fleeing hordes or whatever, but for range fun I am more than satisfied.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I ordered a few to check them out.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 4:02:23 PM EDT
[#10]
There are two different versions of these mags. One is simply described as "steel lined" and sells for around $10 or thereabouts. The other one also has steel front and rear lugs and runs about $14. I've never had any of the cheaper versions. But I do have and have used the $14 versions and they seem to function as good as any AK mag I've ever used. In fact, I haven't bought a steel mag since discovering these, though I do still keep a bunch of old surplus steel mags in storage. These may not be as durable long term as a steel mag (or even the Circle 10 mags). But they are durable enough and run like a sewing machine, while being far less heavy and cumbersome than the steel mags. And the price is right, making them suitable for stockpiling in quantity. The Circle 10 magazines are certainly nice, but at $45 a pop, most folks aren't going to be buying many of those. So I'll just keep laying back the $14 Bulgy mags and if someday I manage to damage or break one, I'll just toss it aside and grab a replacement out of storage.
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
There are two different versions of these mags. One is simply described as "steel lined" and sells for around $10 or thereabouts. The other one also has steel front and rear lugs and runs about $14. I've never had any of the cheaper versions. But I do have and have used the $14 versions and they seem to function as good as any AK mag I've ever used. In fact, I haven't bought a steel mag since discovering these, though I do still keep a bunch of old surplus steel mags in storage. These may not be as durable long term as a steel mag (or even the Circle 10 mags). But they are durable enough and run like a sewing machine, while being far less heavy and cumbersome than the steel mags. And the price is right, making them suitable for stockpiling in quantity. The Circle 10 magazines are certainly nice, but at $45 a pop, most folks aren't going to be buying many of those. So I'll just keep laying back the $14 Bulgy mags and if someday I manage to damage or break one, I'll just toss it aside and grab a replacement out of storage.
View Quote
Since my initial order I ordered 10 more. I'm of the same opinion. These mags seem to function fine, are light weight, and feed into the gun easier. I'm a fan.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 12:04:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:19:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Best deal ever . Fit and function 100% .
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:04:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine have worked flawlessly so far. They are so affordable I almost thought there was going to be something wrong...

I’d stack these deep fellas.
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top