Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/24/2023 12:51:38 AM EDT
Hi,

New to SKS land here from AK world. Mainly because I want to bullpup my shit and I can't find a loose CAI GP1975 kit anymore, whereas the SKS seems to have viable bullpup kit offerings from the likes of Sheric GW, Rifle Tech, and CBRPS.

However, I see that I'd have to build-up from a cheap barreled receiver, likely Chinese in origin. Can someone advise me to as to the feasibility of this? I'm having a near-impossible time finding trigger groups out there, and that's $100. Bolt carrier is like $25, bolt would be ~$40, gas tube & piston is like another $75, and the barreled action itself is no less than $110 paid, shipped, and transferred. With that I'm at least $350+ without a trigger group, and I know that complete SKS's can still be found under the $500 price point.

Can I get something with a barreled action build that I can't with a regular SKS, perhaps and specifically detachable mags? Is the Type 56 nominally able to take them or is it only the Type D & M? Any help, pointers, and/or clarification would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 2/24/2023 10:16:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Original parts for surplus firearms are ridiculously priced now. So much now, it’s not worth restoring stuff bubba has fucked over. If you have to have an SKS bull pup, I’d recommend finding a beater that’s at least complete then go buy your bull pup kit. If you want it to use AK mags you’ll to find one of those M’s D’s etc or do the mod yourself.  
IMO, the money you’ll have in doing an SKS or AK bull pup, you’ll probably be very disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 6:18:45 AM EDT
[#2]
This is good advice kind sir, thank you!
I thought it might be worth it when I realized Sarco still had some of their rusty & cosmoline-ridden barreled receivers, but you're right, the math just doesn't add up when I see $400 SKS's with decent wood furniture on auction websites.
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 9:08:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HipSh0T] [#3]
Doing that 10 years ago would have been worth wile but not anymore, it would cost you twice as much to piece together.
Link Posted: 5/17/2023 9:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I just finished restoring a Bubba fucked SKS it cost more that it should have and I already owned a stock for it.

Also finished my 1891 Argentine with a broken firing pin and missing cocking piece. Took me 3 years to find a cocking piece.
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top